1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we make it far this year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Yes, we push on through and steal a championship

59.3%
  2. No, Tomlin sucks, life sucks, I suck

40.7%
  1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Dig deep down. Don't try to save face, just tell me how you honestly feel. Given our recent track record, same kind of losses and struggles vs certain teams on the road, and also how sloppy we look...

Do you think if we made the playoffs we are going to do anything?

I want to hear it, and none of this you suck because you don't have faith in this team... or "who" lol.

My opinion is this. This team will always be really good, but it's the little things that separate them from being the greatest. I don't blame Tomlin either.

50% chance of missing the playoffs
    50% one and done

Still love this Team. Still obsess about Big Ben. Still have my Cowher poster hanging above my bed.

What say you?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No, this team is not championship caliber. There's 4 teams that are championship caliber and the Steelers are not one of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think the OP is a fair assessment, though I put the odds of making the playoffs a little higher. If they go 2-3 and the Ravens go 3-2, the Steelers would still win the division and the Ravens' remaining schedule is also difficult. They play the Chiefs, Chargers and finish with the Browns, who already beat them once and are playing even better now. I'd be very surprised to see the Ravens win more than three of their remaining games.

On a good day, the Steelers can beat any team in the AFC. I just don't see them putting together three consecutive good days in the playoffs and I don't think they are going to get a bye.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    This. This is my line of thinking. Yes it's early but i got suckered the past 4 years into believing lol.

Again, still love them

• Like Like x 1
  5. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Steelers are years away from a Championship.

Things missing a Bradshaw, Bettis and a Polamalu Oh yeah, throw in a Noll for good measure.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    No.

• Like Like x 1
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    what lol

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    They have the talent. Not so sure about the maturity.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Everything has been in place for this franchise for years , BUT there’s always been one GIANT hurdle in our way .
    No need to even say what it is either

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    one injury to another team could change the whole outlook. right now i think we can hang with most teams on offense. can the defense make enough plays is the big question. if we have all hands on deck come playoff time, offensively we could do it. limit the bad plays on all 3 phases, stay healthy and we could be a hard out. we have lost 6 out of the last 27 games, we are no slouch. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I remember the '05 team... they had some bad breaks and a losing streak, but deep down... most fans knew that team was capable of excellence even at the lowest point of the season. I don't get that feeling with this team.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm afraid not. Case Keenum was picking on Sensabaugh. Just wait until Brees and Brady get their hands on him. Not acquiring Peterson before the deadline is ultimately what's going to do them in. It's going to be a shootout and Ben doesn't have the ability to throw 4-5 tds and not turn the ball over 2-3 times.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    That's the problem its those darn int's

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree. I've been guilty of scapegoating the defense, but the QB has to take care of the ball. The defense has been playing good enough football to win, IMO. We're not going to see the Big Nasty D of the 00's, Blitzburgh or Steel Curtain ever again... so it's up to the offense to produce.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Thank you. Our offense is just a big massive let down. Rams/Chiefs/Saints score at will

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Agreed, it makes it harder on the defense and gives them short field which doesn't help our struggling defense. But if Ben isn't aggressive he doesn't make a lot of the plays he does. Damned if you and damned if you don't. I just wish he was smarter and took into account field position and score. Like taking a chance deep and if they pick it, it's basically like a punt. That's fine. But trying to get it in a tight window to AB in double coverage at our 30 or 40 is stupid.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They have played in four Super Bowls and won two of them without Noll. They have played in three and won two with Roethlisberger. Bettis was a role player the only time he was in a Super Bowl. Regarding Polamalu, if you mean they need a dominant defender, I agree with you there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm going reserve my opinion until the last regular season game. If the Steelers take care of business and go 4-1 or 5-0 in this final stretch (and remain healthy). I think they will then be talented enough to do damage with the upper level teams this year in the playoffs.

If they some how falter and do a 2-3 record the final 5. I'm not going to be convinced with the argument "that hey just get to the dance anything can happen".

The best teams get better as the year goes on. Steelers of course have a chance to do that. But you got to beat these good teams and take care of the games you should win against lesser teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I have said it before, if AB and Ben would just chill about their love affair this offense would be unstoppable. Need to keep running too, especially in redzone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    yep i am half bedwetting half reverse jinxing. lets do this lol

22. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    We are no slouch but deeply exsposed. Complacent in coaching, lacking consistency and self-discipline is off the charts. I doubt you or i will ever see the Steelers show case the 7th Lombardi due to our Golden age. :lolol:

23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The cynical A-Hole in me says no. Big Ben reminds me a lot more of Brett Favre these days instead of John Elway. Mike Tomlin has shown no ability to adapt to game circumstance. His clock management and over-aggressive style will get us beat before we reach the Super Bowl. I have seen a lot of Super Bowl caliber defenses over the years, and this Steelers defense is not one of them. The Steelers offensive play calling is erratic and turnover prone at times.

The Steelers fanatic in me says HELL YES! The offense is explosive at times and can score with anybody. The defense keeps getting better and will be playing its best football when playoff time comes around. Our strength of schedule down the stretch will have us battle tested and ready to play, and defeat, any team we face in the playoffs. The Chiefs have no defense and the Pats are weaker than they have been in recent years. Maybe this is the year we sneak up on everyone and go on an epic run like 05'.

As you can see, my thoughts on the 2018 Steelers are every bit as schizophrenic as the Steelers play is on the field.

Here is what I am certain of. The 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers WILL win the AFC North. It would take a meltdown of epic proportions for them not to. The Bengals and Browns are finished. The Ravens schedule is almost as tough as the Steelers schedule is. Even if the Steelers finish 8-7-1, they will still win the division. So yes, the Steelers will be in the playoffs.

Looking at the playoffs, you have to remember that other teams have weaknesses to overcome as well. Andy Reid has a playoff record that is abysmal. Deshaun Watson has never started a playoff game. The Chargers are far from playoff juggernauts either. If the Chargers play the Steelers it will be at Heinz Field, where they have not fared to well in recent years. To me it comes down to can the Steelers beat NE in Foxborough. That's where this thing is headed IMO.

So if we are talking percentages:

Make the playoffs 99.9%
    Make the Super Bowl 60%
    Win the Super Bowl 50% (based on either they will or they won't)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I was speaking dominants not chronological which has been missing way too long in Pittsburgh, and i'm sure we have many other fans that will attest.

Even in SB 43 we didn't have much dominants though Holmes over shadowed a lot weaknesses in that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Still love this Team. Still obsess about Big Ben. Still have my Cowher poster hanging above my bed.

Me too minus the Cowher poster. I was there for the Bradshaw years and it was a long wait for the Ben years. Yeah we went to a SB and had some AFCCG's but nothing like Terry and Ben to give you hope every season. Them two took the Steelers to a lot of playoff games. My fear is once Ben retires I don't have the time for another Bradshaw to Ben wait.

• Agree Agree x 1