1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we Hate everybody?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Nov 18, 2011.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Now by we I mean the Steelers as a team and Steeler Nation by extension. After watching the Monday night game between the Vikings and the Packers I was shocked to see Jared Allen and one of the other Vikings defensive linemen(possibly Williams) jogging off the field with Aaron Rodgers between them and Rodgers and Allen were laughing and smiling. Now I know that the Vikes are having an abysmal year, living in MN I hear about it all day everyday. Plus they were playing the as of yet undefeated SB Champs who were at half time kicking their butts 17-0 however this is a divisional game with a rival. Where was the hate, where was the emotion, heck you maybe losing but lets get some passion out there and hating the guys across from you can generate a spark.

So the next day I posed the question to some co-workers many of whom are Viking fans or Packers fans. Where was the hate? I pointed out that the Steelers hate the Ravens, heck they hate every team in their division. True the Brown haven't been competitive since that butt whooping they laid on the Steelers back in the 90's but the animosity is there. I remember before realignment that the Titans and Jags hated us too as much as we hated them. Remember when Coughlin would sign former Steelers during Steeler week just to learn the signals and then cut them first thing Monday morning? I had one co-worker, a guy from New York, a Jets fan mind you make the statement that he thinks the Steelers hate everyone. IS that true?

I know I used to like it that there was fear or at least there use to be fear that playing the Steelers meant you were going to get hit and hit hard for 60 minutes and if you gave better than you got you could win. However that win would come at the cost of a bruised and battered body. I didn't care for it a few years ago when Kiesel helped Brady off the turf after he just threw a touchdown pass and actually smiled at Brady. Only to have Brady leaving the field with a win telling NFL films how he hates Heinz Field, loves the fans but hates the stadium. So maybe we do hate. but everybody?

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes. I hate everyone not wearing Black and Gold.

That doesn't mean I don't find some of them amusing. And it doesn't mean I don't have respect for some of them. But they are the enemy.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    True. Come game day i hate their guts. It is like I tell my hockey friends from around the country. I respect Alex Ovechkin for his talent but I hate the Capitals with all my heart.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes.They are the opponents.Now, after we win then maybe we can pray together or I catch up with old friends on the opponents team but at halftime ...WoW!!

6. grannieBurgh

grannieBurgh Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    This was a rhetorical question, right?

7. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Hate may be a strong word for me, except where the AFC North is concerned. I genuinely hate those teams, players, coaches, fans, etc.

I think with the rest of the league, I'm basically indifferent, unless the game a team is playing will affect the Steelers. So, if the Cardinals are playing the Seahawks, I have no emotional interest and couldn't care less. However, if the Seahawks are playing the Ravens - I'm the biggest Seahawks fan east of the Mississippi for that game. So, while AFC North teams are the ememy all season long - I'm willing to concede that there are actually allies in this war - any team playing an AFC North team or a major opponent in the AFC - period.

8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Grannie it must be a trick question! I don't hate any other team. I just want the Steelers to beat them to a bloody pulp, stand over their corpse and spit...hmmm maybe that is similar to hate huh?

9. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It is easy to get caught up in the hate thing. These players are guns for hire and will play for anyone who pays them. The fans make a much bigger deal out of it.

Having said that, I despise everything Ravens.

10. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I've been a die-hard Steelers fan since about 1978, but I'm not just a Steelers fan, I'm a big fan of NFL football in general. I watch any game that is on that I can, unlike my dad who was a Browns fan, but not much of a football fan in general.

Having said that, I have some strong distaste for the Ravens and Bengals. It's hard to hate the Browns because I look at them more with pity, and having family that are Browns fans I see their disappointment all of the time.

I have a lot of respect for guys like Brees, Rogers, and Manning, and I truly enjoy watching them play, but anytime they play the Steelers, I'm rooting for them to hit the turf hard.

11. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I can say I hate anything not Steelers when it comes to the AFC North. Living in Iowa I also hate the Packers. Otherwise I just watch the other NFL games for entertainment. If anyone is playing a team from the AFC North I am that teams biggest cheerleader.

I wish ill will on anyone associated with the Ratbirds, fans coaches players etc. They have taken over as my most hated team. Much more than the Pats and Cowboys.

12. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Hate is a waste of energy. I work for a bank and don't hate people that work for otehr banks so why would I hate a player or another team? They are just doing their job.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    but do you get fined if you give another banker a helmet to helmet hit? :scratch: :grin: :cool:

14. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Depends on the bank. I might end up with a bonus.

:rawk:

15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    With every other team, I can find some thing or player that I like (even the Ravens) except the Chargers. They're the only team I truly hate. Must have something to do with living here.

:herewego!:

16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I like Tomlin's quote after they beat the Jets last year when he said something to the effect of, "maybe next time this game will be personal to them." Which of course was tongue in cheek for all the talking the Jets did the previous two weeks. Sometimes I wish Tomlin could conjure up some of that hate once in a while, say against the Pack last year in the superbowl and against the rats this year. Then again, I recall watching America's Game where Rocky Blier was talking about how Chuck Noll did not believe in emotion, you shouldn't need to get artificially up for the game, you just needed to do you job. I guess according to Chuck, you would just be wasting your hate.

As a fan, I have no problem hating anything not black and gold in the AFC North or a variety of other teams.

17. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    quote dkblue..."These players are guns for hire and will play for anyone who pays them."

You are 100% right blue.What really gets me is when I see players of a losing team out in the middle of the field laughing and smiling with the guy who just kicked your ass.HATE THAT!!

I never played past high school football and that was on a very bad team we lost ALOT.And I hated it.I would meet the team that just beat us at mid field shake a few hands and head to the showers.That loss would stay with me until Mondays practice.

Show me a good loser I will show you a loser.

So yeah ya wanta be a good football team....HATE EVERY OTHER TEAM!! Take losing personally!!

18. steelgirl ny 47

steelgirl ny 47 Active Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Dislike yes, hate no, can't hate on a player for doing his job.I rather direct my hate at the drug dealers, murderers, animal abusers......oops then again yes.

19. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    How many Raven's were you talking about?