1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do the Steelers have a title caliber defense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Since 2015 to 2017, in 3 drafts they have drafted 8 DBs and you say they have neglected the secondary, am I missing something here?????

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Artie Burns
    Sean Davis
    Cam Sutton
    Brian Allen

3. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I like Burns and Davis but that's it and that's not enough.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    coty sensabaugh, damian stafford. :cool:

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Some folks won't be happy until we either mortgage future drafts to trade way up for a big name corner prospect (many of whom have not panned out historically), or throw silly money at a free agent corner (many of whom perform worse after their big deals).

We're doing it the right way. Thank GOD fans don't make personnel decisions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Until I see continual pressure on the opposing qb. Until the oline opposing coach have to game plan against our edge rushers. Until we can get off the field on 3rd and long consistantly. Then, I would have to say ....No. On a protential basis

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The first and second parts will take care of the third.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Let's see what Golson and Sutton can do also.

9. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Don't sleep on Tyson Alualu, the guy is a beast & will solidify the line. TJ replacing JJ is a major upgrade. We can play the zone scheme to get thru the regular season, but if we don't learn to play man to man against New England we will not get a ring regardless of what he offense does. This is where I hope a Brian Allen can contribute, bring physicality to the line of scrimmage...

10. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Also we need to learn how to get off the field on 3rd downs. Hope we perfect the zone blitz just like the Dom Capers days...

11. stangboy06

stangboy06 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I guess the question in July is is Watt any good or just a famous name I guess time will tell and he doesn't play in the secondary I read somewhere that if we signed Richard Sherman we would be a Super Bowl team he looks like a head case to me

12. Diamond

May 26, 2012

Thats the truth, I remember the vikings said they were 1 player away from a superbowl, so they traded 18 players and draft picks to Dallas for Herschel Walker in 89, walker did next to nothing the following season and they took years to dig out of that hole, then the saints traded their whole draft away to get ricky williams which didnt change a thing in their losing ways and ended up getting mike ditka fired. People forget in our last 3 superbowls 20 out of the 22 starting players were drafted by us, we build through the draft and thats the winning way to do it....

• Like Like x 1
  13. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The offense and the defense play dead because the head coach is brain dead.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    our offense is the more veteran group and they have to set the tempo. the defense is young across the board and even the vets ( besides JH) are not vets like we had previously. (gay and mitchell) these were not super stars on a top defense for prior years. we are young but talented on defense and still putting pieces together and learning to play together. we are getting closer. losing timmons will add to growing pains but we have enough left to keep the arrow pointing up until this new bunch finds they're identity. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    our defense would be good enough if our offense lived up to the hype.

Sigh, defense wins championships is true. our defense is close but not good enough to fit that mold. if our defense shuts down top offenses (falcons, pats, cowboys) then its elite. shutting down crappy teams with backup qb's is really not a feat, just expected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    In the last 3 superbowls the defense ranked #4 in 05-ranked # 1 in 08 and ranked # 1 in 2010, so evidently they need to get to that top 5 defensive level to get to a superbowl.........

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I'd be interested to see what our offenses rank those years... certainly none of them would be top 10 offenses if my memory serves me correctly.

With a top 3 offense our defense just needs to be good enough. If we can manage to continue to be a strong red zone defense team and find a way to be opportunistic with turnovers, I don't see why we wouldn't have a good enough defense to win it all. They don't have to have the best defense, just a good one. I think we can have a good defense this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Selecting poorly and neglecting aren't the same thing.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think we are a better defense if we can score enough on offense to make teams more one dimensional. we can be better against the pass if we don't have to worry as much about stopping the run. our offense can help the defense do this. i think we have better pass defensive players if the run is taken away and they can concentrate on the rush. that makes the back end better. :cool:

20. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I can tell you that in 08 because of Ben we had a 22 ranked offense in total yards and points, and our 1 ranked defense saved that season for us, we played several low scoring games, despite having the number 1 hardest schedule we went 12-4 and was the two seed in the playoffs, Ben only had 17 TDs but he had 15 picks and a 59% completion ratio that year and he cost us two games by throwing 4 picks in one game and had 2 picks and two fumbles in another one, in spite of him we won the superbowl in 09, and we did beat the patriots in November in foxborough 33-10 when our defense mauled the pats offense, we did go 6-0 in our division but we could have had a better record even with a low scoring offense and not that it mattered but we could have had the 1 seed that year with a better offense...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Sure they are. I know we've thrown bodies at the position but usually late and/or very cheap. Again, I like Burns/Davis. I did not like Golson or several other DB picks either, in part because I think we didn't evaluate well enough and waited too long in the draft to address it. It's our least paid position as well. Just think more should/could have been done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    How so? The way the drat unfolds dictates a lot, thats why teams make a board. Plus they've had big needs for LB's and missing on Jarvis set them back and kept it a need.

Also where the Steelers pick in the draft is too low to get the type of DB's fans want.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Can it stop the Patriots in the post-season?

Because you know we're going to have to go through them again in Foxboro.

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

The inmates REALLY want to run the asylum! :lolol:

Seriously though Elvis, this war beating drum for a top flight corner (one that we may even have mind you) does not make sense to me.

As I stated multiple times throughout my tenure here, take out players like Von Miller and Micheal Bennet of the Broncos and Seahawks and see how those defenses perform with the reputed "No Fly Zone" and "Leigon Of Boom" without consistent pressure.

To those who think an elite secondary > elite pass rush, get back to me when the former wins a Super Bowl.

25. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Lets be honest. You can't "shutdown" elite offenses like you mention here. That is why they are called elite. We do not need our defense to be elite. We need our offense to be elite and our defense to really good. If we could hold team like you mention to 21 to 28 points we can beat them. I would say the patriots offense is elite, but i wouldn't call there defense elite, they did gave up 28 first half points in the superbowl. However, they have been on a bit of a winning streak without an elite defense so to speak. It is also quite a bit easier to have a good defense if your offense scores points. In some games we struggled to score early, and that always puts pressure on a defense, especially a young one.
    All that being said if we can stay reasonably healthy this year, I think are defense could be title caliber, not elite, by the end of the year.
    THIS IS THE YEAR WE DETHRONE tom brady.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1