1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Steelers have a shot at the wildcard

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rush2seven, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    obviously, we want them to win the division. But what if they don't? Do they have a shot at the wildcard?

Between KC, Denver, Miami, and Pittsburgh there are 2 slots.

KC 9-3 plays Oakland, Tennessee, Denver, and San Diego. At worst, they are 11-5 IMHO.

Denver 8-4 plays Tennessee, New England, Kansas City, Oakland. At worst, they are 9-7.

Miami 7-5 plays Arizona, NY Jets, Buffalo and New England. At worst, probably 9-7.

Most likely KC clinches a wildcard.
    Should they beat Oakland, likely the Raiders clinch the 5th seed.

At 11-5, Steelers clinch division. At 10-6, there's a chance they don't. With one spot likely open, they would likely need Denver to lose 3 times and Miami 2 times. The head to head loss really hurts the Steelers against the Dolphins. Had they won, obviously, their situation would be much better. But they beat the Dolphins in a 3-way tie as the Dolphins have 4 conference losses and Steelers only 3. The Broncos have 3 conference losses, but for the Steelers to tie the Broncos at 10-6, then the Steelers would have 4 and Broncos would have 5.

Again, Obviously winning the division is preferred. But I don't think you can rule out the wildcard yet. For a legitimate shot, they must finish 3-1.

Now for the Division, Ratimore plays New England, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati. 3 of which are on the road. Good chance they go 2-2. Of course, they could go 3-1, losing to the Steelers and then play in Pittsburgh week one of the playoffs, again!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers need to make sure if they go 3-1, that one loss can't be to the Ravens.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Win the next 3 games and we win the division. Simple as that. I'd expect the Ravens to drop one of the next two and then the loss to us would be the nail in the coffin. Theoretically we have a shot at the WC, but it would be much easier to win the division IMO. That's the more likely scenario

4. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    I kind of hope the Rats get in! We need them to knock out the cheatriots for us. Baltimore always give NewEngland fits of rage, unfortunately, we do not.

5. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    We unfortunately have not had all our pieces the last two times we played the Pats and if Scooby hits his field goals we would have beat them last year.

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Disagree. I want the Steelers to go up to NE and knock the smirk off Brady and Belichicks faces. The smirk that says we previously cheated against you and got away with it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Anything is possible but I feel they have to run the table, win the division. Keep the winning flowing. A loss will set them back and then it's the hope that other lose, strength of schedule crap.

Take care of business, hope that the cheatriots win by one point this week.

It will be a nice Christmas gift to see them derail the crows. Then they close out with the clowns.

The game that worries me is against the bungles.

8. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    With the Steelers in control of their own destiny right now, I really don't want to be counting on a wildcard spot due to how other teams may or may not perform. The Steelers need to win out and make sure to beat the Ravens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I am thinking that if we continue to run the ball and waste time like we have, then we can easily go 4-0. We need to cut the penalties out though, especially on ST like others have said. Truly, I feel if we can get a win this week, then we have that shot. Cincy will be without Green and Hill for sure and that will help us. They still have Eifert, but he isn't anything truly without a true #1. All in all, the Xmas game will come down to Division and probably a playoff spot. Yes Denver has a tough schedule ahead of them, but they still have a good defense that can push them into the playoffs. Truly, what we need to hope for is the ratbirds to lose 3 of the next 4.. Hey, maybe AJ can come back and play in the final two weeks of the season and torch the Ratbirds like he normally does, and Marvin and some other Bungals will be playing for their jobs..
    I think some people are over looking the Steelers and pretty much handing the division already to the Ratbirds since they blew out Miami.. But I like the way things are going for us right now. Continue with Bell and Brown, add some Green in the mix and we will be good..Rogers and Hamilton will step up big time for us down the stretch run... Other teams are starting to get cover up Coates so he could be a lost cause..

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    just win this week. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If both the Steelers and Ravens get in, it's very likely that they would be the 3 and 6 seeds, and play in the wild card round. It's very hard to come up with a realistic scenario where we both get in and the Ravens play the Pats before we would play either team.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Denver is 8-4 and should win 2 of their next 4, and be in contention with the dolphins for the six seed, our best shot is to win this division, if not, we need to win at least 3 of these last 4 and if we do and our one loss is to the rats we probably wont get the 6 seed at 10-6..........

13. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    And then what? Are they okay to lose after that? Certainly you can't be trying to say we shouldn't be having this conversation. As much as I like to think my preparation for the game matters, it does not have any effect on what happens on the field.

14. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    As I mentioned on the opening, if all three are 10-6, Steelers will have the most conference wins and thus win a three way tie.

15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    dont stop winning til the confetti is falling

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Short answer: NO

Either win the AFC North or sit at home and fart into couches watching other teams play.

17. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well... if they played like they did last week, then they could lose to Tenn this week... Tenn has 2 weeks to prepare for a home game vs Denver.. so that can help drastically. But they also have NE who can be either Salty after they lose to the ratbirds, or on their high horse after a win against the ratbirds... the final two games are division games 1 home and 1 away, and they have lost to both of them (wk 15 vs KC and wk 16 vs Oak). I am thinking they go 1-3, 2-2 at best the last 4...

But like others have said IF we win, we control our own destiny

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

we worry about next week next week. one at a time. just win this week. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I hope after we beat the Ratbirds we will be 2 games ahead and the Browns game will be our bye week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    The AFC West already has one wild-card spot locked up (OAK, most likely). Assuming the Steelers win 3 but lose to Baltimore ...

If Miami finishes 10-6, we need Denver to finish exactly at 10-6 and force a three-way tie. If DEN goes 11-5, they're in; if they go 9-7, MIA's in.

If MIA finishes lower than 10-6, we still need DEN to finish no better than 10-6.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    still too early in the season for my magic bullet theory on the playoffs. I'll get back to ya around week 16 lol

22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    They need to take one game at a time. .Starting with Buffalo. They lose to Buffalo I feel like they wont be seeing any playoffs.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    If Steelers do win out... Roethlisberger, Bell, Pouncey, Villanueva, Gilbert, DeCastro and Antonio Brown need to sit the bench vs. Browns in season finale. Tomlin should start all backups if he can. On D... sit Shazier, Timmons, Gay, Tuitt, Mitchell and Harrison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    How many times have we had to start at the 5 or ten yard line because some moron did the old block in the back? Tomlin should tell Brown to fair catch everything and tell everyone else to just lay down.