1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do players get % of jersey sales?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I was wondering if the players get any cut from the sales of their jerseys or other stuff with their name, number, or likeness. I saw a Polamalu puppet in a store at the Pittsburgh airport (pretty dreadful looking, in my opinion) and wondered if he got anything from the sales of that, or if he gets approval of what gets his likeness. Or does the NFL own all the rights to the marketing of its product? Anyone know? It must be a huge cash cow for someone.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I believe that this was something the league and NFLPA were working on in the new CBA. Not sure of the final results. I pretty sure the player holds the rights to his own name on things but the NFLPA can sell likeness rights to whoever on behalf of all players ie Madden series. The player can make non team related stuff such as Eli Manning endorsing something or another with a football jersey on just not a Giants jersey. I think it is something to that effect.

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    man if they don't....they are getting ripped off

4. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I don't believe they do. They collectively get a chunk of money from all merchandising sales.