1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DL. its been nice, but its time to go

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lovembig, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Having an elite QB gives you an edge but doesn't guarantee you anything. Dan Marino failed to make the playoffs a number of times and had a plethora of losing seasons.

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    [video=youtube;ithf1_sqyZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ithf1_sqyZI&feature=share[/video]

how i miss them !!!!!!!!!!!

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :this!:

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks for posting, freak. I had almost forgotten what it was like to see a Steeler linebacker sack the quarterback. Ah the memories. :cry:

5. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Oh no! We're 1-1 after two games! Fire everybody and rebuild before we play in week 3!

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

6. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    its not that they are 1 - 1 after 2 games. its the trend that we are seeing.

do you honestly see this team winning 10 games? i dont. they have an offense that is extremely inconsistent and a defense that cant create turnovers, pressure the qb. let alone sack the qb. cant stop the run and when they do the qb just picks the secondary apart.

since Tebow torched them in the wildcard game a few years ago, this team has been a below average team. 2 straight 8-8 seasons with another one looking very likely.

i hope im wrong. for the sake of my sanity, i hope im wrong, but i see no reason to think this team is all of sudden gonna figure it out on defense. theres nothing to figure out. the defense scheme that DL has, has been figured out. so unless the Steel Curtain is gonna walk out of that tunnel next Sunday we are gonna continue to see the same thing weve been seeing the last 2 plus years.

7. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I see a lot of improvement in this team versus last year alone. The offense shows much more potential, as a whole. The defense is shaky. I agree. I think they just need to gel.

The organization as a whole was pretty much heading into shambles when Tomlin took over: 1) Arians drama (WMD, anyone?), 2) O-Line woes, 3) turnover due to veterans, 4) cap troubles, 5) Haley/Ben beef due to #1, 6) Woodley bombing, 7) Troy injuries, 8) Drafts not working out, 9) Pouncey injuries, 10) DeCastro injuries, 11) Harrison injuries... This team has been plagued. And they still managed to make two Superbowls, winning one, and made another playoff appearance. They've maintained a top defense for most of that time. And they haven't had a losing season, yet. In the last two seasons, they had terrible stretches and were still in wild card contention.

I'm giving them the first four games before I try to determine who and what this current team is. Last year they started 0-4. They're already better than that.

Does the team have issues? Yes. Name one of the other 31 teams that has no issues.

The Steelers are 1-1 and are still in the mix. Period.

:herewego:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Heard all this stuff last year. I bet you after starting 0-4, that no one thought they'd go 8-4 the rest of the way and finish on a 6-2 run.

I don't know what happened on offense last week, I expect that not to happen very often. The defense I expect to be up and down like it has been so far.

I'll wait for about 4 or 5 games in before I judge what kind of team they are. Thats when most teams find their grove. I get to see a lot of teams play and I see a lot of teams looking like the Steelers so far.

9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, then what IS the problem? It's not Lebeau and its not Tomlin. So, are you saying its the players for the last three years? And, if that's the case, then who does that fall on? At some point, SOMEONE has to be held responsible for the mediocre team we have been putting on the field.

10. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You aren't wrong. This is not a one time thing. I'm not sure how many consecutive seasons have to be busts before some of you finally start admitting we have a problem here. The whole "it's only two games in" has been a staple here for the past three seasons (at least). I don't know what the solution is, but every season we start off with optimism and every year, we get the same old same old.

11. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    No he didn't. The Dolphins had exactly 1 losing season with Marino ... 1988. His other 16 seasons were all .500 or better.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Why can't it be the players? Think about it, after they lost to Tebow, the last good season they had, age caught up and they've been in transition since, phasing out old and bringing in new. You don't build a power house overnight and it hasnt been THAT long since they have been mired in mediocrity.

Yeah, technically you are right but given how the Tomlin detractors feel about 8-8 seasons, I applied the same reasoning to Marino. He had four 8-8 seasons, one 8-7 season (in '87) and one 6-10 season. Plus four 9-7 seasons which would get Tomlin killed around here. He also missed the playoffs 7 times.

13. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Don't forget that it got Don Shula retired too, and his last 3 seasons were 9-7, 10-6, and 9-7, with 2 playoff appearances included. Even legends have to win. Tomlin can't afford to waste the Ben years, because life will only get tougher for him once Ben is gone.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, but the owners are a little more forgiving here and I applaud them for it. I don't believe in changing coaches every time you hit a rough patch. I don't really extend that belief to coordinators though, but I do when it's a guy like DL.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You make way too much sense fear the beard.
    How's come nobody is held responsible?

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    LeBeau is too stubborn, he needs to get back to a blitzburgh attacking type of defense.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Perhaps they should fire the coach every year like Cleveland until they find that one magical coach that wins the SB every year. Because thats worked out so well for the Brownies.

OR

maybe be patient like the Rooneys and let Tomlin put together a new team and see if they can right the ship.

18. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You're right, there is no middle ground.

It would be one thing if there were signs that MT was making legitimate steps toward being a Super Bowl caliber decision maker, motivator, talent evaluator and clock manager.

We are showing major signs of regression. Throw in the sideline tripping incident and I think he definitely deserves to be on the hot seat this year.

19. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Whoever is evaluating and developing our defensive line players. I would like to see our D-line coach replaced if that is what it will take to get even an ounce of production out of that unit. I would want to see that done well before Labeau was let go.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I could argue that we have seen those things, just not consistently (except clock manager, hes terrible). It would be pointless though, both camps are set on their beliefs, so we'll let the record decide. If they finish 8-8 or even worse, then Tomlin deserves to be on the hot seat next season.

21. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Some would argue that Ben is a good QB at this point but too inconsistent and turnover prone to be considered elite.

22. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Ben is a damn good QB! He took a hell of a shot last week, that I tend to believe knocked him out even though he continued to play. Ben reminds me of Barry Sanders in a sense. The things Barry did on a team that would not give him a FB to lead block for the majority of his tenure. Ben has never really had a good line. He had a decent decaying line once and we all know the rest. To think of what he has done to overcome inadequate line play is really something. I couldn't name you one current QB that could've done the same behind the line he has spoken a lot better of than any of us has for years. I know some of his tendencies haven't granted him favor throughout his career, but he's a stud and seems to be more mental now than in the past, and with a line that still leaves much to be wished for.

I hope the staff can wrap their heads around game plans for our lack of knowledge/lack of talent D and make Ben's last few seasons worthwhile. It can't be that hard to do... We see other teams doing it all the time, and without a soldier at QB.

23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I need to clean something up in my last post... I meant no disservice to our brave actual soldiers. My bad. I should've said Super Bowl caliber QB.

24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It's an interesting view. There is a tendency amongst sports fans to go for "all or nothing" - hence most people being convinced that Limas Sweed never once caught a ball, and dropped everything thrown his way, or, in this case, that with Ben we should be in the superbowl every year.

Ben sacks stats are in part due to an awful o-line, but some of them are on Ben holding on to the ball too long. Likewise, some of his interceptions are due to the awful o-line, and some are due to bad judgement. As much as he doesn't like the label, when you have a 'gunslinger' QB, you aren't going to see the kind of Manning-esque consistency to the game.

Before dobbler jumps on me, Ben is still a fantastic QB! But I don't think that Ben alone means the team should be in the play-offs every year.

25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    How I miss the NFL that allowed guys like this to play!