1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dixon Should Start Over Batch !

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Tdot Steeler Fan, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Tdot Steeler Fan

Tdot Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I find it incredibly stupid that if Ben can not go, they are going to give Batch the start. No offense to Batch, hes put in his time and earned his stripes but I just dont think he can keep with today's game. Meanwhile if they start Dixon, he'd have more motivation to play better then Batch does. For example

1) Dixon is going to want to play good to prove opposing teams and the Steelers wrong...especially since no one picked him up in FA when he believed he was a starter.

2) Dixon is quicker faster and more agile than Batch ever was, and we all know no matter who's abck there SF is going to blitz non stop. Dixon being quick has a better chance of scrambing out and exdtending the play or running for more yards. Batch wud just be a sitting duck.

3) Dixon has more to win or lose than Batch does. We start Dixon, he wins plays good maybe trade him for a late round draft pick ? Dixon plays bad and we lose, we cut him in the offseason. If Batch wins or loses, life will go on and this will not alter Batch's career or make it any better or worse. Once again no offense to batch.

Just wondering for your opinion, Batch or Dixon ? Anyways I believe Ben will force himself to play this game due to his alter ego "Big Ben", remember the last time he sat out @ Baltimore, fans turned on him and players called him soft. He wont want a repeat of this. This cud be good or bad.? :drinks:

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not so sure. I generally agree with all your points, but I can't see it happening.

Dixon has the speed and agility. But for some reason he's never looked really comfortable using it in the offense. He should be similar to Ben, taking off out of the pocket, extending the play. But from what I've seen of him play, he doesn't seem to do that. Maybe he's not as good as improvising. Maybe he just doesn't have the reps with the first team.

Batch knows the offense, and has the experience. That said, I'm not sure without Pouncey he makes it through the game uninjured/alive.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That's what they did last year, and the year before. Batch was ahead of Dixon on the depth chart, but when it came time to choose a starter they went with Dixon. They prefer Charlie come in off the bench rather than start, since he gets hurt so easily.

I'd be okay with Dixon starting, perhaps with a short leash if he really stinks.

4. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    DD is just as fragile as Charlie

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if ben can't go (as i think) , i almost sure they will play dixon ,let them think we are going with a qb that can't move either injuried ben or batch and then boom go out with a scrambling dixon and see what happen

with our oline we can't afford to play a qb that can't scramble out of the pocket
    :towel: :godell:

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    why not both...remember the Tomzack Kordell show. Tomzack was the safe veteran who would methodically drive the team down the field. If they needed a splash play they brought in Kordell....

7. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It will be Ben, but Dixon would be better strarting than Batch.

8. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Batch probably doesn't have the deep ball capabilities anymore. And that reason alone is why he needs to be starting. The Steelers are at their best on offense when they use the West Coast, quick passes down the field and score at a quick tempo. Sorry, I know a lot of you are still in bed with the idea that we need to be a power football team, but take a look around the league and tell me a team who has a chance to win the Super Bowl who uses the power run as their method of offense (I will agree that the power run is vital in some situations, like on 1st and 1 on the goal line, but not 1st and 10 on our own 20).

Dixon can't throw at all. Sure he is mobile, but will BA let him run? No, and perhaps for good reason. Dixon is as injury prone as Batch.

Also remember at the beginning of last year where Batch came in for Dixon in the Titans game, won the game, went on to Tampa where he had two nice bombs to Wallace for touchdowns and moved the ball well, and then went to Baltimore and had a good game until the defense decided that they should let the Ravens drive down and kick a field goal to win. Batch is very good at the West Coast offense and knows it. We play him atsainst the 49ers and use the correct offense, we will look better than when we run the long developing pass play offense with Ben at QB.

Folks, its all about gameplan and the knowledge of the players to execute the gameplan. If we dont have a gameplan, which we tend not to have (except for the Titans and Patriots games this year), then we will lose. If we start the QB who can't run the offense quickly, we lose.

Thus, if Ben can't go, we will start Batch and win the game.

9. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    But he's more mobile that Batch. That is going to make a big difference if Pouncey is out.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

11. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    if dixon cant beat out batch I dont know why he is on the team

12. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, he'll be harder to hit. And we don't know that he's as fragile as Batch. Hasn't he only been injured the one time? Batch went through a period where he was put on IR like three plays in a row.

13. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    You said Tomzack and Kordell in the same sentence. That nearly made me stab myself in the eye! Pls refrain from using offensive names in the future :D

14. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not to mention probably even more rusty than old man batch. Dixon hasn't seen action since when ??? Add that to the fact that Dixon's passes couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and it all means Batch will be under center if Ben can't go.

15. xcodizzlex

xcodizzlex Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    With BA as the OC, he would actually have to create a game plan for DD to be successful, since he doesnt create gameplans, he might as well go with a qb that can hand off and chuck it... Whats garbage is when DD was the starter they tried to keep him in the pocket... he is best on the move

16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben will go. You cant keep him down. If he does not go your going to see Batch.. Dixon should not be on this team and cannot backup Ben

:godell:

17. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I completely agree with this and someone else who posted after you that they could (and i think should) mix it up with Batch. I wouldn't mind an entire game plan of crazy trick offense to just get through the week and make them play simple fundamental defense and slow things down. Have Dixon run a game plan like Tebow. nobody would think that anymore.
    :superman: :herewego!:

18. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the game is winnable with Batch starting. Teams that have success against the 49ers D, such as the Cards last week, beat them with short passes between the LB's and secondary where the WR's catch and run.

19. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    This really got me laughing !!!

20. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I would like to see Dixon if Ben doesn't play.

Dixon got hurt one time. We don't know that will be the norm.

Dixon can throw the long ball and hit Wallace in the end zone for 6.

Dixon can scramble and make plays.

I don't know what the issue is here... what I saw of Dixon, during his stint that was precipitated by Ben's suspension, was promising. He helped the Steelers win games in a manner that was not too dissimilar to the way Ben played when he started.

21. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Do I really need to give my opinion? :-D

THE Ironman!

This will be moot, once Ben starts.

22. remote steeler

remote steeler Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Imagine if you were to add Stoudt, Brister and Graham to the same sentence! That should be seen as obscenity :banghead:

If any more of the nightmares from that past (i.e. Miller, Woodley) were added to the same sentence it should be a punishable offense if publicly stated anywhere in southwestern PA and required jail time within the Pittsburgh city limits! :cool:

23. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Wow, that is a whole lot of credit for Tomczak! :swordsman:

24. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Since when ?? In the limited number of times he's played in regular season games so far his performance hasn't been any better than CB's and I'd go as far as to say it's been much worse, especially in the passing game. Everyone keeps describing the Dixon of college days and NOT the guy who couldn't nail down the #2 spot on the Steeler roster even though he's had more than enough time and opportunity to show the coaches he could be the #2 guy.

25. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    He has shown ability to scramble and make plays with his legs in the NFL, both in regular season and preseason games.

You're right about the deep ball though. I'm sure he has the arm for it, but it's not like we've seen him do that with any kind of consistency. I can't even think of any deep ball he's thrown off-hand.