1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Disrespecting the Terrible Towel?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfansince84, Jan 20, 2017.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I can't wait for the Super Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You Suck!

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    The tie I wore today: image.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    The "Immaculate Reception" game was on TV at MY house! Course, I live in San Diego. I find it impossible to believe that a playoff game wasn't on T.V. where you lived. Maybe your rabbit ears were out of whack. I envied the folks in Pitt because, then, you couldn't get a TT in San Diego and I didn't know anyone in Pittsburgh. As for Myron, I didn't know who he was, nor had I heard him until the early 90s. It confused me because I didn't know why Gilbert Gottfried would be announcing a football game!

• Like Like x 1
  5. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    The terrible towel showed up with the bandwagon fans after we won back to back super bowls. Before that, Steeler games weren't even on local TV because they were blacked out because nobody attended games, you couldn't give tickets away. You could only watch the Steelers if they played Cleveland, Baltimore, Chicago or something because those teams sold out, but you watched the Steelers on TV in away games unless you bought a home ticket.
    Instead of Steeler games on TV on Sunday in Pittsburgh, we watched Cleveland, or the AFL, which was very popular among my generation in Pittsburgh in the 60's. In the 60's, I don't ever seeing the Steelers ever win a game on TV.
    I think I became a Kent Nix fan because he won a game on TV. lol.

After the immaculate reception, the Steelers started selling tickets, and you could see games on local TV. After we won the Super Bowls, Three Rivers was selling out every week, and scalpers started showing up.

Thats when the bandwagon fans started showing up with terrible towels. Myron Cope felt like we needed a gimmick to grow the fan base and attract listeners to his radio show - but nobody paid any attention to Cope or the Steelers until after we won back to back super bowls. I was a Steeler fan for at least 10 years before the terrible towel. Nobody listened to Copes radio show because nobody could stand to listen to his voice.
    The bandwagon fans took to Cope and the towel. They were just silly people.
    The immaculate reception wasn't even on tv locally because three rivers wasn't even sold out for the playoff game with the raiders.

6. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015
    The immaculate reception wasn't on locally because the playoff game didn't sell out, so it was blacked out locally, like all Steeler games.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Looks like it was broadcast on NBC, but what do we know? :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Good lord, is this some sort of sick twisted joke? I mean, what the hell?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015
    In the 50's and 60's, you could only watch your local team if they played an away game. The home games were only televised if they sold out. Steeler games were always blacked out, and Cleveland Browns were the team locals watched and rooted for.

10. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015

It wasn't on TV "locally" because it was blacked out, the playoff game didn't sell out. I even prayed for it to sell out so I could watch it. Instead, me and some friends drove around town with the game on the car radio.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is trolling.

12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Why didn't you just get on Stub Hub and buy a ticket? If it wasn't sold out you could have probably gotten one for pretty cheap on there. Live and learn I guess.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This is correct. Although, immediately after the game, it was shown in its entirety.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

It sure as hell was on TV at my parents' house in western PA. They live about 90 miles east of Pittsburgh.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Please check your facts before spouting incorrect information. The terrible towel came out after the first Super Bowl and before the second. December 27, 1975 to be exact.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually multiple people on here have said they watched it on tv when it happened. Jimmy Allen is one of them and I highly respect his Steeler knowledge. He knows more about Steeler football than literally probably anyone else on here along with Mac. I mean I feel like I know a lot for a young 35 year old buck but nothing compared to those guys. I'm still better looking though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I've seen the NFL Films where Myron Cope was talking about it. Also there's that footage of Swann and Stallworth saying that we've got the best defense and offense but ultimately we have the Terrible Towel.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You were far enough out possibly. A lot of people went to Youngstown which is only about 60 miles. It was not on local tv in Pittsburgh, live. Replayed immediately thereafter.

Just because I can stick this in, I saw it live.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Guest

Guest Guest

That could very possibly be as they are considered to be in a secondary market.

Thank you for your insight, jeh.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Thank you.

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well I mean you might have like saw it live or whatever but I mean like ya know your breath still stinks in the morning. OOOOOOOOOH! DEAL WITH IT!

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I love you too.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wrong

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! That really is awesome that you were there. That play is like the football equivalent of the moon landing.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That I had to watch on TV

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2