1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diontae Johnson rumors

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 18, 2022.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I won't be worried until he indicates that he's skipping mandatory activities..... that didn't really work out so well for Leveon Bell. I'm perfectly fine with reasonable (albeit high) salaries..... but with Ben retiring you have to ask the hard questions.... is DJ worth his demands or did Ben help him inflate his numbers, what's the right price?. If you overpay and have an average QB next year, then you're salary cap takes a hit for a few year while he underperforms, does DJ give the money back when he doesn't have the same stats because of an average QB?

I have no doubt he's a solid player, but so much of his game were those 5 yard passes..... look at other WR's last year and the guys in the top 10 and most averaged a chunk more yardage per reception than DJ. He's solid but let's not call him Cooper Kupp, Devonte Adams or Justin Jefferson

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Just dropping in to see the reactions to the rumor. Hahahaha we’re rounding into to shape woo hoo!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Johnson hasn’t benefitted from top QB play yet. He got Rudolph/Hodges his rookie year and a washed Ben since.

He’ll produce with anyone because he helps himself by getting open with ease.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I'm not too sure about that last statement. None of our WRs last year seemed to be open on a consistent basis

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    None of these players are actually holding out, these practices are voluntary right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  9. steelcity72

steelcity72 Member

Mar 15, 2022
    ya very troubling. Maybe he had made plans with family for the off-season before Mitch was even signed ? Get a grip.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Deebo for Johnson; would you make that trade?

I wonder what the 49ers are asking for Deebo?

If it is just a 1st round pick, then my money is on Kansas City to make that happen; Chiefs have 2 late 1st round picks, so they may have to throw in a 3rd or 4th.

11. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah my prediction is the chiefs. He's not tyreek but he can impact them in ways to make the loss of tyreek alot less painful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I don't blame him. Look at what Christian kirk got. He's for sure better than kirk.

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yes. Deebo actually just wants out but tbh everyone saw what Christian kirk got and it destroyed the market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Do you have the same energy when teams cut players while their still under contract?

15. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    To be honest, I never gave it much thought. It is the same situation, though. Teams should be beholden to the contracts that they sign.

A team wants to play around with the cap and save money by cutting someone? Be my guest. Pay the player all the remaining money on the way out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Chiefs do not need another wide receiver to play around the line of scrimmage since they have JuJu. They need a flyer on the outside. I could see them trading up in the draft and getting Williams. They have enough to wait until he is healthy.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    This could be the case. We don't know so anyone who wants to pass judgement on the players working out with Mitch or the players that didn't show up should probably just shut up because they sound like morons. There could be any number of legit reasons why the entire team wasn't at Mitch's house. Planned vacation booked months ago? Wedding anniversary? Covid? etc etc

That said I have no doubt Mason is a tool and DJ has bad hands making him nothing more than a #2 WR at best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s one of the top receivers in the league at gaining separation.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Maybe people need to accept the fact that pro athlete only means they're good at athletics? Most are not smarter than anyone else. Even if they went to college there is a good chance they wouldn't be there on academic achievement. Many come from poverty and cultural backgrounds that half the country doesn't understand. Not saying it's bad or good...it's just the facts. You can be a great person and be uneducated. My grandfather was a good example. Guy had an 8th grade education. Was a farmer most of his life. Fought in WWII and lived his life raising 6 kids. He was probably not a great father most of the time either but he cared and tried to be a good guy. His grammar was laughable at times. If he had twitter around to discuss his $8/hr job underpaying him he'd probably have said some pretty stupid stuff.

Probably safe to say most athletes placed more importance on what they can bench vs how many books they read. People need to quit placing unrealistic expectations on these people. They're good at football. Leave it at that.

• Like Like x 2
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    In exchange for that they get a signing bonus and guaranteed money

If you want to make your argument all guaranteed money given a player will need to be eliminated

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015

This is not MLB. Most players get little to NO guarantee's other than the bonus. And sometimes not all of that is guaranteed. The issue of players holding out is 100% on the CBA system that both the owners and players agreed on. The players don't have any other options. The teams can cut them and cancel the contract they signed. So why can't the players do the same? You can't have your cake and eat it too as they say.

The owners also have a salary cap to hold down salaries of players...then they can walk out on the deal and only be held to the bonus that they themselves agreed to so it's not like the owners got trapped into signing that deal. The players do get trapped because they can't negotiate with anyone else. They can get tagged and restricted as well. The NFL has a monopoly cartel.

I'll also add the argument that players get paid too much is stupid. It's obviously relative to the value they bring to a billion+ $ business and they're the one's taking all the risk.....a lifetime of risk. The product is the players. I know plenty of sales people that make more $ than surgeons, nurses, teachers, etc. It's screwed up but it's supply and demand.... That's capitalism. Take the good with the bad.

The player has no options when the team refuses to negotiate in good faith. The team can cut, trade, franchise tag or sign the player to an extension. The cap implications are the only thing to consider and that's not a real # anyway and only exists to keep salaries down. Would be like if you or I signed a contract for $50k annually to do contract work. If the employer decides they can find someone better or cheaper they can fire you and rip up the contract... we could sue them and win. If you do something that is suddenly worth $1m /year you absolutely can ask to write a new contract or you'll walk. Maybe the employer can sue you but in most cases they'll lose. You might owe them some bonus $ but you can go to another company and sign a deal for market value and there's not much the employer can do about it. Obviously most employers would re negotiate to avoid the mess. The NFL can void the contract and the player has no recourse. The player can hold out for what ever reason but can't work until the team pays them or releases them. It's a system both parties agreed to. I think it's got serious flaws. Mostly that benefit the owners and to some extent the fans but that's another conversation. The current system allows every team to compete and keeps players in one spot for a # of years which fans like. Also keeps the product kind of affordable for everyone. (that's not so true anymore but you get the idea). If the union was strong they'd get something in the CBA that allows them to walk out of a deal or at least get more in guarantees.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    A lot of it depends on what you're paying Deebo. If we trade Johnson for Deebo, but Deebo wants 30 million a year... I'd rather have Johnson for 20 million. There's way more value in Johnson at 20 million and what he brings to the table vs. what Samuel brings for 30. Deebo is a very good player and is probably a little bit better than DJ at the moment, but I don't see 10 million bucks a year better. Plus there's the fact that this was Samuel's break out year. Is he a one year wonder? He had 800 yards receiving in his rookie year, and while his second season was injury shortened, he was on pace for similar production to his rookie year in year 2. Then all of the sudden he has a really good year 3 and he's now a top 5 receiver? idk. Top 5 receiver money is a lot for a guy who has scored more rushing TD's than receiving TD's in his career. You would have to build your entire offense around Samuel to make that kind of weapon work to its best ability (and you should if you're trading 1st round picks and paying him big boy money). That would scare me big time if my team was one that was thinking about picking up Samuel.

I'm on a hard pass with Samuel. Even if it was just signing him and not giving up draft picks. I think we can do better for the money. DJ is looking like he is going to bet on himself and try to have a huge year this year for a bigger contract. Good on him for that. If Johnson takes another step this season, I'd rather have him anyways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Its all just business. Teams can cut ties with players if they are underperforming their contract (they have to eat dead money towards the cap so there are negative consequences to doing this), but players can hold out if they feel like they are being under paid. Its all a leverage game. Which I think is fine. Players should be able to seek what's best for them, while teams need to be able to protect themselves as well. Really bad contracts can kill teams.

I will say that at the end of the teams have the most leverage. Players can hold out and even not play particular seasons, but that doesn't mean that the team has to cave to their demands or trade them. If a player sits a full year out of the game, they run the risk of losing some of their ability or make them more prone to injury (see Le'Veon Bell situation). There's also the fact that NFL players' careers aren't really long to begin with, so missing an entire year is very detrimental. Ultimately there is only one NFL, but outside of a select few players, there will always be another guy just as good in the future. The Niners can replace Deebo with someone else (or multiple people to match production in the aggregate), but Deebo needs the NFL if he wants to make money. Its a risky game Deebo is playing, but if he gets 70+ million guaranteed out of it, then I doubt he will care too much.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Why? Has an NFL team cut a player and not paid him the money that was guaranteed under the terms of the contract that the team and the player signed?

• Like Like x 1
  25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Actually the teams are abiding by the contract and the CBA. The money that's not guaranteed is just that, there are no guarantees in the NFL unless it's stated the the individual contract.

• Like Like x 1