1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diontae Johnson is Having a Great Career.........And You Guys are Missing it!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Boy, I am not sure why people are so down on our QB room, I think with better Ol play and better play calling we can compete. Yes there are no Pat Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers in room, but not too many other teams have them either.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Like I said earlier the NFL doesn't count this year when they figure WR salary rankings, they only count the new years and new money, the guy at BTSC who covers contracts said the exact same thing :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I don't care what era you are in. 107 catches for 1161 yards and 8TDs are elite numbers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    You weren't, the guy I responded to did though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Well, in 2021 Johnson was:

top 10 in catches
    top 10 in yards
    top 10 in TDs
    top 5 in YAC
    top 10 in first down catches

Also, out of the 8 receivers that had at least 150 targets, Johnson had the 2nd best drop % (3%, 5 drops) behind only Davonte Adams (1.8%, 3 drops)

And he did all of this with a 39 year old QB who threw the ball in under 2 seconds 3-5 yards down the field.

Yeah, I'd say he had an elite year.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They did a special on receivers on the Athletic podcast lately, they looked at every play in recent years and their take on DJ was as above. A borderline elite receiver waiting to break out, great separation ability, can get open vs zone or man etc, stylistically similar to Stefon Diggs.

They felt the offence with all the quick throws in recent years put a significant cap on his potential for big plays however.

The problem of course is that there is no guarantee the offence around him will be better in 2022 or beyond. Let’s hope Kenny Pickett turns out to be good because I think we know what Mitch and Mason are at this level and they’re not going to help any of the receivers reach their full potential.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Thats the problem I don’t think any of them are