1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diontae Johnson is a #1 Receiver

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 13, 2022.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Two years in a row they do seem to show up Late in the season and specifically when the pressure increases and weather gets cold

Not what you want if we ever get to the playoffs

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    In my defense, this OP was made before the 2022 season and his down year. Trouble maker ;)

I’m still not going to kill him for this season though, not with Mr Saturday offense running it.

Hopefully him and Pickett get on the same page this season, that seemed to be part of the problem as well, not just the play design.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Moi (fr)

Agreed

Agreed (if he can run towards the goal)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's not what You do....it's when You do it. I know I say it all the time, but I think people forget this.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No freaking way. Qbs have something to do with how good Wrs are???
    I wonder who's been preaching this since forever???
    Also why I thought We should wait for signing Him, and See how He fairs with a different Qb, but.....Nooooo. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There is a difference in promotion from within if they are seasoned coaches with proven nfl experience and ones with not much or none.

You have to figure in qb play as well in dj having his worst season.

:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We bring them in. How are they being used? Are they the wrong choice or is their input not being used properly? :shrug::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I take it this is to me, mikeg must have been very confused by this.

First off, got news for you Glenn, WR coaches dont just get graded on what they do with draft picks, they can and do help vets. I gave you 3 guys that all improved a lot in Manns first year, thats not coincidence. AB and Sanders were still on rookie deals, hardly seasoned vets and Cotchery saw his TD’s explode.

But if you want draft picks, Bryant would have been a star if not for his pot habit.
    Coates was trending up before he mangled his fingers.
    JuJu had a very good rookie year.

Mann was a very good coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Right?! This move is done by a lot of college receivers and I don't get it unless Canada suggested it. Now that would make sense :hehehe:

Johnson is a solid receiver. He is our #1. I believe that Pickens will become that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    and HOPE Austin is mature and can become productive QUICKLY.

I'd sign a solid veteran to this group, do not draft WR. TOO many other needs.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Check out the FA list in the JuJu thread, not a whole lot there.

Landry maybe? Jakobi Meyers possibly. Slim pickings.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

mann was also brought in to help our receivers become better blockers for the run game. that got much better under him. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I watched this clip yesterday not realizing I was on page1 from last January. Now while Korza is highlighting DJ and his route running look at the opposite side of the field. This highlights how bad the passing game design was with even a veteran QB. In both cases the Ravens are setup almost 10 yards off the receiver. In the first play that receiver runs a straight go route allowing the safety to remain in his zone, the underneath route has his man tight on him but if he turns the corner the safety will help. Had the outside receiver cut towards that safety and the middle of the field he effectively opens up the guy under to a sideline throw with no one in front of him, the defender would almost have to commit pass interference to stop it. On the second play they again concede a 1st down throw at the snap. The Ravens are 10 yards off the receiver but at the snap the two other receivers in the slot on that side both immediately get into their man with one driving into the block and the second turning and driving his on the slant with the outside receiver on that side taking a shallow slant right behind them but covered by their guys and allowing the Ravens CB to shadow him into the middle of the field. If he takes two steps forward selling a go route and then slants towards the middle behind the coverage on the slot receivers Ben hits him in stride and it's a huge gain. Yet they force themselves into the DJ play call because that's how they designed the play.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He already became that

15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will, thanks.

I am not saying we need a 1 or even 2 WR - we have 3 talented guys (I think - putting a lot of stock in Austin...) , add in Simms and I just don't want one drafted - unless it is a flyer in the 7th round, or an UDFA. Way too many needs on this roster, IMO. A talented TE addition is a bigger need, IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The problem with keeping Simms and Gunner or even if they resign Boykin is that they aren't a big enough part of the offense so that they aren't a huge tell, much like Ebron was. Putting Simms in is basically 1 of 3 plays, jet sweep, fake reverse, or he has a 6 yard slant. Gunner has barely 1 play and Boykin was basically a blocker in the three snaps he saw on any given week.

17. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think Dionte's biggest strength is his route running and working the MOF, which is the antithesis of the Canada offense. Personally, I think Dionte would be a MFing monster as a slot receiver working slants, ins, posts and so on. In today's NFL you can be a 1 or 1B as a slot receiver especially if he's working against S's and slot corners. Get the guy into space and let him work. These 10 yard stops aren't doing him any favors.

18. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Im my mind (and I think most would agree) a true or GOOD #1 WR has physical or elite skills that separate them from the rest. Amazing speed, great hands, strength , quickness, size, etc. Along with these traits you expect consistency and the stats to back it up. These WR's put fear into defenses and force them to game plan that threat. Also keep in mind our other WR's aren't so great. It's easy for a defense to eliminate DJ from the game.

The ONLY skill that some on here like to talk about is his route running. I almost have to laugh when some seem to think this is some amazing skill. All legit #1 WR's are good at running routes. If you can't run a good route you will struggle to get on the field in most offenses. At the very least you will not be the primary WR unless your WR's just flat out stink. He's not consistent. He's not a playmaker. TD's and lack of big plays year after year kinda supports that. He does not have great hands. He's not a beast to stop with the ball. He's not a speed threat that's going to force safeties back. His ball skills are not elite. Sure he's a good WR. That doesn't mean he's should be our #1. When a raw rookie shows up and looks like a better threat than your supposed #1 , I think that also tells you he's just a nice WR with some nice route running skills. Hines Ward ran routes and read defenses as good as anyone. Difference was he had great ball skills, great strength, and made big plays when we needed him. I'm sure plenty of teams - if not most teams want a WR like DJ.... but IMO he's a damn good slot WR because he's good in tight spaces ...his ball skills and deep speed are not good enough to be our primary. He doesn't any great physical attributes either so get over this love affair. I have little doubt we could draft a WR that's as good with more upside in the early rounds. He's not worth #1 WR $$$.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    DJ is a number 1 pass dropping circle jerking route running loser trade him

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we should have a decent group if anthony miller and austin get healthy. sims, pickens and DJ. i'd dump gunner. boykin has some special teams ability but........ cody white has hung around here for awhile as well and never looked lost.

i agree about another good blocking pass catching TE would be nice to add. darnell washington gets my vote unless that kid from notre dame were to fall for some reason. one of those two, muth and heyward would then fill that middle of the field void.

WR is a deep position in this draft. we could wait and still get a decent addition if they decided to.

i don't think it has to be a #1-#2-#3 type offense. 3 equally good players will work as well, where a defense doesn't have to game plan against just one player but 3-4-5 players. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’d just bring back Gentry as long as some team doesn’t throw Jesse James money at him.

He is rounding into a good TE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    DJ is definitely a #1 wide receiver.
    The problem is...he's the Steelers #1 wide receiver.:unsure:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    isn't that Canaduh's fault? not them, per-se? My point is we have our #1 and 2. and probaby 3, w Austin. Need a TE....

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he really gives us very little in the pass game. :cool:

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Because they don’t use him that way much but he has good hands and a good blocker.

• Agree Agree x 1