1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diontae Johnson is a #1 Receiver

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 13, 2022.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m looking at how badly most of this post aged

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Being old also comes with a long memory

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now go look at the one about giving Him a new contract, and See who said.....Maybe We should just wait.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I actually found this one looking for that one

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Don't throw the baby out with the Bathwater. Our Passing offense was terrible last year, give it another year and see what he can do with a more complete 2nd year QB. We have all season long to remake the offense for Kenny's abilities. You can't blame DJ for what he was not able to do in last year's offense.

If Pickens takes another step forward, it will be curious to see how DJ feels about being the "sidekick" next year.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes I can

Catch the ball and don’t drop it

Run towards the right goal when you do catch the ball

Don’t dance and stutter step when we need 2 yards

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I stand by it. He has great skills, his route running and separation is among the best in the league.

As usual, peoples perception doesn’t match up to reality, he had 6 drops. Sure handed Pickens had 4 on about 40 less targets.

He had less than Devante Adams and Diggs who both had 7 drops. He had 1 more drop than Jefferson who had 5.

This year because he was playing in a Mickey Mouse offense that belongs on Saturday he ended up trying to do too much to get yards after the catch instead of just going forward.

He has some concentration lapses and he can be frustrating to watch at times but he has great skills. Hopefully the offense takes a big step forward this season and it all comes together for him.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    You can’t have 0 TDs in an entire season and be considered a number 1…..

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Look I like Diontae Johnson but I don't know if he could quite be considered elite. He had 0... ZERO... touchdowns. That is a remarkable stat. The only other two players to have over 350 yards receiving and no receiving touchdowns are Derrick Henry and Josh Jacobs. The man is an AMAZING route runner but he often down way too much after the catch, I cannot be the only one that has seen him lose yards in a critical situation trying to reverse directions and break off a play. His trouble with dropping catches that a pro just CANNOT drop, although improved is another knock against him. He just cannot find the endzone to save his life.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Elite? That is JJ, devantae, Tyreek, aj brown, Diggs, chase, etc... those caliber of guys

He's very good. Idk if he's currently top ten but I wouldn't call DJ elite

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    His route running and ability to gain separation is among the best in the league and he has less drops then some of those guys you listed so what would you say is holding him back?

What I am saying, is the skills are there. Maybe it’s his YAC that is the one trait thats really lacking and keeps him out of that group.

Yeah I get that but man Pickett only threw like 7 TD’s. It was spoken about all year how the route concepts in this offense are a joke, sometimes having receivers end up in the same spot and thats just going to get worse in the red zone where things tighten up.

I’m a broken record but they really need to bring in someone to help Canada with that portion of the offense.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He needs to stop doing the 180. Backwards is not a good trait. He does seem to get the dropsies at the most crucial times.

Like you said his route running and ability to get open are very solid.

I want to see Pickens get more into the mix and not just be used as a one trick pony.

Issue is we have a lack of a real offensive coordinator. I hope they bring in an offensive senior assistant unless they make Sullivan that and hire a QB coach. Leftwich doesn't impress me.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

frisman jackson was carolina's passing game coordinator and now our WR's coach. https://www.steelers.com/team/coaches-roster/frisman-jackson

mike sullivan. https://www.steelers.com/team/coaches-roster/mike-sullivan

we have people in place that can do this. we also have the youngest offense in the league. it does take time. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I tend to only partially agree with this. His drops at least the ones I saw had nothing to do with the QB and subsequent throws. He needs to work on himself and it appeared for a time he had the dropsies figured out only to come back again. Additionally he could improve on his up-and back techniques. He goes north and then south far too much.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I haven’t been impressed with any of our WR coaches since Richard Mann. Frisman gets an incomplete because of Canada but Johnson had his worst year as a pro. How much of that was due to the system or Frisman, I don’t know.

As long as they are competent I don’t care what their name is but why does this team always have to promote from within? If there is an OC out there willing to come in and fill a senior offensive assistant roll, I’d rather have that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That’s new, I dont recall him doing that before last season. I think that was him trying to make plays that aren’t there. I think all the WR’s were frustrated with the lack of YAC that was there.

Whatever the reason, I agree, he has to stop doing that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    But do we have the right people? Carolina's passing game was atrocious the last few years. I don't care what DJ Moore did, he's a great WR. The passing game as a whole was horrible.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don’t recall the Steelers really developing anyone under Mann.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    AB’s career took off Manns first season here, 1500 yards that year and just kept getting better.

Sanders had his best season under Mann and Cotchery had his best season of the three years he was here, going from 200 yards to 700 yards and 10 TD’s. He only scored 2 TD’s the two years prior to that.

He was a very good coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    people around here don't like "i told you so's", i have found...

he ain't a #1, that is a fact jack....

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    drops, fumbles and running backwards does not equal a #1, esp now after what, 4 years in the league? One of the best route runners i have ever seen. but, that is it.

no one really loses sleep the night before playing him

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    All guys that were already here. None of those guys that were drafted while he was here did squat.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He doesn’t have that many drops and thats a fact Jack.

24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    DJ had 6 drops this year. The most drops were 7 and there was a 6 way tie for the most (7). Believe it or not Kelce was in that group. George Pickens had 5 to put it in perspective. Now to do it properly and get a more accurate picture we would have to look at number of times DJ was targeted compared to other WR this year.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I know, I posted the numbers above. Both Adams and Diggs had one more, Jefferson had one less. It’s not a lot of drops.

I sometimes think fans think WR shouldn’t have any drops.

He had like 136 targets, 6 is not a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1