1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diontae Johnson is a #1 Receiver

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 13, 2022.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He is a great route runner. Now what route he is gonna run is a different story.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. SteelersGermany

SteelersGermany Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    U guys are all so high on this WR corps. Don't get this. This WR corp ist mediocre at best. Most of them can't separate. We have no deep thread. Except juju they do nothing in blocking. And they can't catch easy balls in crucial moments. Diontae a no. 1 receiver? Ridiculous, as the YAC as well

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, two drops were the reason they lost last night, we’d have killed them if he caught those!

Oh wait, everyone else dropped passes in that game.

107 receptions, 1161 yards and 8 TD’s with a QB that averages 4.6 yards. His 107 receptions is tied 6th most in Steelers history, 5th most league wide this year.

He had 5 drops on the season, 7th fewest of all receivers. Less than Jefferson, less than Kupp, less than Ja’Marr Chase.

4. SteelersGermany

Dec 27, 2021
    With a QB that averages 6 yards. ...Oh u mean, he got his yards due his great YAC runs. Maybe it depends on the f****** OLine. I never saw unblocked sacks that often before. Give Ben more then a second, he probably averages more then 6 Yards. But this is your excuse for him. Then u will get much more reasons to excuse the performance of DJ next year, when the GOAT Mason throws the balls. I didn´t say it was all on him that we loosed today. Definitely not.
    But this guy destroyed the momentum completely after our first TD. We had the lead deep in the middle of the second quarter. We had the chances for some first downs, run the clock, keep mahomes out of the field, and maybe made some points at least. So it would have been much closer by the end of first half. What did these child do? 2 Drops on easy catches on crucial 3rd down conversions. Made a false start, felt on his ass untouched and miscommunicated with Ben. Great. F*** the stats, if u come out that bad in a very difficult postseason game u have to quit. There must be always a guy where u have to throw the ball. If RayRay had have 170 targets he would have made nearly the same stats. This Dude does nothing in blocking, nothing in YAC. And 8 TD´s for a no 1 receiver sounds not great for me. He is the WR with the most talent on our roster (except JuJu), by far. But his ball skills and YACs are an issue. Maybe the angry speaks out of me to much, but im completely done with this Dude.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Funny Kupp, Chase, and Jefferson, has made plays for their teams all year long.... . I Cant Remember when our "#1 wr " made a play ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    johnsons drops have come in the last few weeks. he's more concerned about getting hit. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    He’s an elite route runner and gets good separation. He has very questionable hands and appears to be a little short between the ears. Not a #1 unfortunately a very good 2 or slot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually its 4.6 yards adot, I gave Ben too much credit. And yeah, nearly half DJ’s yards came on YAC, around 527, yeah thats awful :rolleyes:

He averaged 4.8 yac, Devante Adams averages 4.9 but he’s not a number 1 either, right???

You accuse me of making excuses for DJ while you excuse the BIGGEST reason for this **** show, Ben. He is washed up but go ahead, keep hating on DJ, he’s not going anywhere. Ben is and hopefully they can get someone to succeed him sooner rather than later.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL you must have been watching a different team. He’s literally made them all year long.

10. SteelersGermany

Dec 27, 2021
    You are a study of this game, me not. You are right, Ben is gone and problem is solved. I´m glad that we have such a tough guy and pretty good no. 1 WR on our roster, which i can enjoy watching

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    When you don’t have an argument to make, invent a fallacy and apply it to the person you are debating. Good job.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I said further up in this thread that DJ is a lower tier #1. While the stats and much of his regular season game film bear that out, he choked massively twice in critical situations yesterday. Three times if you count quitting on the deep route where he has a step on the defenders, but stopped and looked on in bewilderment. That’s extraordinarily concerning. One of the most important traits that a player can have is to be “clutch” in critical moments. Some guys have it, and some guys can’t handle the pressure and fail. DJ failed when it mattered most last night.

I can’t label him as a #1 anymore. He’s a guy who has #1 ability, but still needs development between the ears. I really hope he figures it out. Unfortunately we may not know until we get into a playoff game again, whenever the heck that is.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Obviously I strongly disagree with that evaluation and he’s made clutch plays during the season including a 2 TD game after having a drop earlier in that game, those clutch moments count but really just want to say the “quitting” on the route, he lost the ball, he didn’t quit, I think thats an unfair thing to accuse him of.

All we see is this guy busting his ass working on his game. He went from 13 drops last season to 5 this season. He’s constantly striving to fix his flaws. They are damn lucky to have him but he will never live up to perfection standards that fans have of not just him but of all players.

14. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Imagine how good DJ might be if the offense clicked with better Oline and QB play. DJ made his mistakes. He is a player. He is probably the most important WR the Steelers have. Most difficult skill set to replace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m excited about the skill positions, not just DJ but Chase, Muth and Harris. People are all up in their feels about last night still, it was a game they never really stood a chance at. I was over that before the game ended.

There’s reason to be excited about the offense, just have to address the things you mentioned. Hopefully they get lucky with a QB.

16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Things Dj needs to do more in the offseason:

1. Get Stronger
    2. Keep working with the tennis balls and jugs machine
    3. Get new cleats, he is such a quick change of direction that once or twice every game he slips and falls when cutting. Get cleats that work better.
    4. Don't ever talk about being on the band wagon before a playoff game. Stupid comment and things like that have a way to come back and get you. h

17. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    DJ is a blinker

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    he has regressed the 2nd half of the year.
    Pre snap + afraid of getting hit, he is good, work to do to be great.

Not sure of his contract status - LOTS of work to do on offense! (not to mention NT and ILB / C on defense!!)

19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    typical childish stuff

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Can the Steelers live with the handful of DJ drops might have going forward? He is talented enough to live with a few drops considering his over all production and ability to separate from DBs.

Oline, Dline, QB, and ILB should be addressed if possible. I realize that the Steelers can't address all their needs/wants in one off season unless they are extremely luckly.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, even I cringed at that one. Would have been ok with it until he said “when we win”. I like chips on players shoulders but don’t disrespect the other team you are about to play, especially one as talented as KC.

22. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Baker Mayfield made some plays last two seasons. He still sucks. DJ is the bakery mayfield of WR’s. He’s targeted alot so he has a lot of catches and a lot of yards. The first half of the season he didn’t drop passes. Last few weeks he’s dropped crucial and easy balls that you have to catch. Besides drops he makes mental mistakes. He’s got talent but he’s not a good #1 wr. Anyone who’s followed the Steelers the last 20 years would agree . We’ve had our share of great WR’s . Dj is not one of them. Take just about any #1 wr on every other team, they would have the same or better stats.

Juju’s injury was the best thing to happen to DJ . If that doesn’t happen we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I was thinking 4-5 weeks ago Johnson needed a 2nd contract. Then the drops came back, now thinking let him play next year and see where your at.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Technically he became a #2

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was wondering who raised this from the dead. LoL :lolol: