1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dink and dunk offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bobby, Oct 25, 2020.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    As others have pointed out, the first was Ben’s fault because threw a Hail Mary. There were 14 seconds on the clock and one time out left. We could have run 3-4 out patterns. There was no reason to throw that pass.

Dum dum dum

2. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I don’t mind it. Brady has made a hall of fame career out of doing it.

3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    First of all, it is highly frowned upon to discuss performance or strategy here when we win. Many people aren't able to dissect the game to that level 9Beyond win or loss) and so they don't think anyone else should do it either.

Second, I think it is probably the early game plan to protect Ben, given his age/injury, and as long as it's working I'm okay with it. I think when we are in our first dog-fight, you will see more deep balls.

4. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    So you are saying Ben should have n changed the call from the sideline to throw the long ball?

HACK

5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    First drive- 18 plays, 9:18, TD
    Second drive- 13 plays, 7:05, TD
    Third drive- 7 plays, 2:36, FG

The last drive was 16 plays and ate up 7:38 before the ill timed interception. I think their game plan was definately to be patient enough to consistantly take what they're given.

6. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I saw qb numbers today. Sorry I don't remember the source. One of you stat-hounds can probably snap your fingers and come up with these real quick.

But Ben is at the bottom of the league in accuracy, like 59% accurate on throws. And there were a couple other stats relating to qb's that I haven't seen before. Basically, it painted a very bad picture of Ben's ability to deliver the ball effectively in comparison to his peers. Scary bad. Ugly.

So we might be relying on te dink and dunk for more of a reason than what our opponents are doing or giving us. Until Ben gets a handle on his new gun, that might be the most prudent thing to do.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Absolutely

There is a progression to every play. If the long ball was the primary receiver, and that is a very big if, and he is not open, which he obviously wasn’t, then you check down. And I believe you probably know this better than I do.

And there was a check down apparently open based on an another post. And there was time. And there was a time out left.

Dum, dum, dum

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1