1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diluted Sample for Peppers

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Apr 24, 2017.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think this is a non story. I have seen Peppers slipping in mocks recently. Not sure if this was a factor or not.

If this drops him to #30, I'm cool with it.

His agent put out an explination. Wonder what other teams will think.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Non issue for me as well. Drinking extra water because of an illness seems like a reasonable enough reason. I hope this helps him slip to 30... would love to have him

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Problem is he tested diluted positive so his excuse holds no water....so to speak. Maybe only Peter Piper would take him in the first now:facepalm:

4. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    A diluted counts as a positive. He didn't actually test positive for a substance.

Apparently he has a history of cramping and was drinking a lot of water and being pumped with fluids after cramping up really bad after his flight from San Diego. Wanted to be hydrated because he was going through both S and LB drills (on separate days).

I really doubt that this will move him down the drafts boards. It wouldn't move him down on mine.

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Not what it heard....I heard there are 4 types of results Negative,positive,dilute negative and what he tested dilute positive....meaning even with all the water he supposedly drank for cramps he still tested positive...

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hope it does move him down, right to us. I'm pretty locked in on Watts but would love Peppers, Obi and Kevin King, too.

7. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Hmm. I haven't heard about that anywhere. Everything I've read says he tested positive for a dilute sample (dilute positive), which just means his test sample had too much water in it. Doesn't mean I'm right, that's just what I've read in all the articles.

The problem is that he enters the league in the drug program either way and needs to be careful with hydration/drug use in the future. He has a faster track to suspension.

Either way I hope he falls a little and we snag him at 30. I'd be alllll about that haha

8. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I like your list Blast :cool:

Maybe not in the same order... but it's a good list

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    To my knowledge, Peppers has no drug history or character concerns. I'm not sure why team would downgrade him much over this.

10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I know he had recently put on like 12lbs quickly because some teams were looking at him as a lb. He said he was happy what he ran considering he put on the weight so fast.

Could that have contributed to a diluted sample? I don't know much about drug tests.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Idk they were talking about it on WFAN NY and they said dilute but positive...not positive for diluted sample . Whether they were wrong or right I can't say ,this was about 2 hours ago....there's a big difference between the two.....but the question is why didn't they re test and why did it take so long to release the results...either way it doesn't help him...

12. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    What did he test positive for, do we know that? Was it a performance enhancer or an illegal substance?
    That wouldn't necessarily take him out of the running for me.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there are better players without the baggage of starting on the drug program. haven't we had enough of this. never wanted him at 30 and still don't. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Peppers and James can drive together to their weekly tests.. he will be fine here with the steelers.

15. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Would have liked to have seen your scouting report on Troy P coming out of USC:

"Too small... injury prone... bites on fakes... takes too many penalties..."

:hehehe:

We will have to agree to disagree on Peppers.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    talented but way too many concussions. i wanted bob sanders at the time. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    by the way what has peppers done? not really a strong resume'. he is no troy like you guys keep making him out to be. :smiley1::cool:

18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    As far as I know he hasn't tested positive for anything. He just tested positive for too much water in his sample, meaning that it triggered a positive for a dilute sample.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think it hurts him much either. I still think he's gone by 20.

20. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    It's a thin resume from a production standpoint. Can't argue that. But 13 TFL and 3 sacks from a junior isn't too bad for what they asked of him. No lie, would have preferred to see more INTs.

Let's not forget Peppers was asked to play 3 different positions in 3 years. This is certainly a detriment to his production.

Some will see that as a negative but his jack of all trades or Swiss army knife like qualities are exactly what I like in a player when it comes to playing nickel and on 3rd downs.

Obviously comparing him to Troy at this point is more of a hopeful projection than a reality. I doubt he becomes that good, HOF good. But I see similarities. Similar size. Similar speed. Similar aggression and passion for the game. When Troy got to USC they didn't know what to do with him either and he started as a hybrid SS/LB. Sounds familiar.

Peppers just seems like a special player to me. Gut feeling. I thought the same about Troy and even Shazier a few years ago.

21. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Early 2nd rd..... This draft is deep at many positions.

He's now in the 1st stages of the drug protocol system....

The Browns will take him top of the 2nd.

Cajun

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Remember the Steelers moved up to take troy? Is there someone who
    would entice the Steelers to do it in this years draft. Yes there is and if he would fall into the teens I would be disappointed if the Steelers did not try everything possible
    to get this player, and it ain't Jabrill Peppers.

23. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Ed Reed 2.0? :hehehe:

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Im not as high on Hooker as others are and no way am I moving up to get a 1 year player. Nope.

Price is way to steep.

25. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Bill polian was on some espn special talking about weed. Saying it was a red flag for him because he knew he would be tested at combine.

Don't know if he knows but what he said