1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you notice why Harrison barely plays?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

“And you can call me Al...”
    :guitarplayer:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

And you do realize that even with Spence out there we have no depth????? Sorry but signing a guy on Wednesday after sitting home and getting so much playing time isn't the answer either right? I understand we were in a bad position and there wasn't not much more we could do but I pretty sick that we didn't give a guy on our practice squad a shot over a guy sitting home on the couch. Why is he on our PS if we can't use him in a time like this when needed? I am fine with signing Spence it isn't about that what I am disappointed about is how much playing time he got and his play showed why he was home!

3. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Do you trust him on the outside?

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes... No.... Maybe

He hasn’t been close to hitting his potential, or playing to his 1st round status. However he does have his occasional solid plays. His underwhelming play overall is at a position where he generally has to be concerned with one side of the field. Moving him inside would add a mental aspect to his responsibility that I wouldn’t feel comfortable with. That’s the point I was making.

As to whether I trust him on the outside. I don’t know that we have a better every down option. I like Chick, and I’d like to see him get more reps, but I don’t think he’s a guy who would take over and light the world on fire. He may be more steady though.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yes. I do realize we have no ILB depth. Having Spence play might not be the answer, but I don't think we're going to have the answer to our ILB situation this season. I hated our backups before the season even started. I thought we were an injury away from disaster at the position from the get go, and here we are. We're stuck with what we've got for the rest of the year. Spence might be the only option we have. We will have to wait for free agency and the draft to do something about ILB.

I thought your problem was that Spence was playing and Harrison was not? It's easy to see why both are in the situation they are in. Spence is playing because Shazier and Matakevich are hurt and Harrison isn't because Watt, Dupree, and Chickillo are better players at this point in time (and healthy as well).

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    We might not have an answer but we better find one good enough to get us by, Spence is not that answer. Yes ILB is/was a weak spot and yes you are right one injury away....however we are now 2 injuries like you said. I hope Dirty Red can step up I am a fan of his but I also know his limitations.

My problem was how much Spencer played, what has he done to earn that spot? Some say he knows the system, ha I don't believe it. His time here he was on IR most of the time then he left and has been out of football. If anyone knows the system isn't it the guy on the practice squad? I am fine with bringing in Spence but signed on Wednesday playing on Sunday is not what I had in mind and it showed why. I know nothing about this kid on the PS but why be there is you can offer anything, jmo.

As far as JH goes I get he can't cover fine but he has earned the right to rush the QB, let him loose. I do not disagree Watt, Dupree and Chick offer more and are better. jmo

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Whos on the PS that you think would be any better?

Spence only played 34 snaps, Moats 19 and Fort 8. Vince took the bulk of them with 53. Its going to be filled by committee. I would have thought Fort would get more but obviously he must not be up to the task. Maybe give Spence more than one game before writing him off.

Its a ****ty situation that they are trying to make the best of. No option is replacing Shazier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    First off I totally agree this is a ****ty situation no doubt about it, however I have a problem signing a guy off the couch when we had one on the PS. I have no clue about him(Keith Kelsey) but I would think if your on the PS you are better than a guy on the couch, no?

Let's face it we are talking about Spence who was always injured so it isn't like he was some great player when here. Then he left and tried to make it with another team and didn't, and ended up sitting home for weeks. I also don't want to hear well he knows the defense, BS!!!! The whole he knows/doesn't know the system is imo just an excuse. Guys don't play all year cause they can't get the system but your gonna turn around and say a guy who hasn't been here, learned a different system while trying to make that team know our system??? I guess people say that to fit there opinion, if you get where I am coming from.

I do want to say this isn't nothing to do with Spence, I like him he is a great story wish he would have succeeded. This is about him being new and out playing Moats and Fort, which I guess you can say didn't work out. I know it is only one week and things will get better(I hope) but I am left scratching my head about this move. Feel free to talk me off the ledge cause I am ready to jump.....lol!

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, it doesnt mean that. Most PS players dont have a shot at ever being called up. they're bodies to help with practice.

You may not want to hear it but yes, knowing the system is important, plus who was going to call the defense when Williams is off the field?

If Red didnt get hurt, I have to wonder if Spence would have gotten a call but he did and here we are.

As for the ledge, we're 11-2 and Bens firing on all cylinders. Best I got :lolol:

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    We will disagree(again lol) on the PS meaning. IMO I am taking a guy from our PS over a has been/never was all day long. I am meaning no disrespect to Spence but he never has done anything and it isn't like we are talking about Patrick Willis here either........speaking of which, huuuummmmmmmm:hmm: lol, Anyways......

I agree if Dirty Red isn't hurt Spence wouldn't be here I get it and yeah bad situation. As for the ledge wasn't talking about the team was talking about the ILB situation. I am by far and away from the ledge about our season and this team. I have said many times it is all on Ben and the offense to carry this team and they can do it.......:drinks:

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Sounds like you are disrespecting him to me. Would think youd show more respect to a player that overcame the odds he did to play football again.

Never did anything? That has been//never was played 3 seasons in the NFL. Your scrub on the PS will never play 1 down in an NFL game, not because he isnt being given a chance but because he isnt good enough. They chose a guy sitting on his couch over him, think about that for a minute, let that sink in.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Wow 3 years 50 games 97 tackles that really is some **** there, I am by no means saying Kelsey is better. Heck I know nothing about him....nothing, but Spence is nothing special and his play the other night proved it.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Never said he was pro bowl but like him or not, he achieved something just by playing those 3 years after what he went through. And dont be glib, you know he played much better then he did the other night during his first stint here and thats all they are looking for out of him. Plus, he can call the defense. How much you want to bet your PS guy has no shot at being able to do that?

And you are saying a scrub PS player is better.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    First I never was saying Kelsey was any better heck I didn't even know he was on the PS I never even seen a highlight. I just think a PS should have been given the nod, just like when we lose any other player. Isn't that how Rogers and Hamilton worked their way on this team? Second yes Spence is a great story and yes he has played a crap ton better than the other night which is my point exactly. No reason for SS to have gotten that many snaps, take Kelsey out of it I would have rather seen Moats and Fort struggle. jmo

Did SS call the D the other night cause I didn't see it nor do I think he can...but than again maybe that was why we were so bad...... Listen SS has never done anything until his last season here, and imo that was cause of injuries. With that said my opinion on him is based of the limited play he has had here and then the fact that he was out of football.

I hope I am wrong like I was on VW, I have no problems admitting it, heck I want to be wrong cause that will mean ILB is some what fixed. I understand he is a great story but to me great stories don't win games just like SS's play.......jmo. :smiley1:

15. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I watched the Ratbirds game last night and to everyone who thinks Harrison is taking up space watch the last play of the game.
    On the strip sack by Watt Baltimore loaded protection towards Harrison it might even have been a triple team. Harrison still got some penetration up the middle and they had to cut him low.
    With everyone focused on stopping the old guy Watt was left one on one with the right tackle and used great burst, tenacious hand fighting and dipped under and past the RT to get to Flacco for the strip.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You dont think hes better but yet you think he should start over a guy whos actually played in the NFL? Just because he is on the PS? You have way too high an opinion of PS players.

Spence and Moats were alternating the first 3 qrts but Spence played all of the 4th Qrt. Guess they felt Spence was the best option.

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I think a guy like Spence signed on Wednesday should not have out played(snap count) 2 guys who where on the team on Sunday and yeah I also think where the Steelers were the practice squad guy should have been able to get up to speed. I do have a high opinion of PS guys however I would rather call it exceptions. We have had great success with practice squad players no, didn't we just promote your guy Fitz a few weeks ago.....Rogers, Hamilton, Ayers, Hilton, Finney, Fliers heck even starters Hubbard and Fort! This is what you have practice squad players for.......

As for how they felt, thats fine how did that work out for them????? If it weren't for a super human performance by Ben and company our D would have been chewed up all week by everyone. So while you say they felt Spence was the best option fine, the proof was in the pudding and he plain out right sucked!!! Now I hope he turns it up and plays half as good as you want him to cause if so we will put an ass whipping on them Cheats!!!!!!:dfense::dfense::dfense:

18. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Uhh..I think you meant to imply the dirty pics Tomlin has of Spence for him to see field..right? Tomlin likes em young and inexperienced.

Way to go Tomlin!

NOOOOOOOO stop right there, you are cut off tonight!!!!!!

Is the answer Jesus?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Youre reaching bud. How many PS players never see the light of day and your list isnt all that impressive.

As for Spence, its ok, we all think we know the personnel better then the Steelers at times, myself included. Im glad you, me and every other fan doesnt run this team.

Oh, and you were way wrong about Vince so Im not trusting your judgment for beans on the ILB position :lolol:

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Just because a guy's on the practice squad doesn't always mean he's the next man up.
    A lot of times they are developmental players. Who they think have potential, but are not close to being ready for a real game.
    The Steelers may have wanted Spence earlier, but they liked Dirty Red and Fort better and you can't put Spence on the PS.
    Sometimes it comes down to $ and roster space.
    As far as Spence not being in shape I'd argue that he is probably in better shape than Haden right now, yet Haden will probably play this Sunday.
    Heck at least Spence was able to work out while at home and get a full week of practice in last week before playing.

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Jesus.....James, hey they both start with a J!!! ;)

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    :herewego!:

Lol, yeah but that is what this message board and any message board is for to go back and forth like we do. Blast you and I agree a lot but I think we disagree a lot more but man it is fun chatting with you(even though you know I am right, lol) and doing it in a fan kinda way. As for my list it is impressive especially from your point of view saying a PS guy is just a body. One last thing here on my opinion on ILB, I hope I hit one out cause if you go back I was a Dirty Red fan way before we drafted him.....

Now with all this said I am putting to bed this subject and am getting ready to talk about out game Sunday. Plus I will be leaving the office today and will be on the road the rest of the afternoon......

:herewego!::herewego!::herewego!::herewego!::herewego!::herewego!:

• Like Like x 1
  23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I get what your saying however totally disagree. If a guy on our PS can not beat out a guy at his position which in this case is a 4th string player(sitting at home) he needs to be gone. I get a PS player is a development player, but at week 13 he should know more than a guy like SS, imo. The real problem here with me was the amount of play SS got. Also keep in mind we aren't talking Patrick Willis we are talking Sean Spence, there is a big difference in play there.

If you think SS was in better shape than Haden we are in some big trouble if your right. No matter how you look at it the situation stunk, losing 2 guys in one game is so hard to overcome. Hopefully he gets up to speed and TM is back and we just keep hitting Marsha and it won't matter this week!

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Haden has been off with an injury for a month. At least SS could still run and workout.
    And you're labeling SS a fourth stringer not the Steelers.

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Maybe be should have ran and worked out a little more since it is very clear he was behind the play all game and how do you know what Haden has been able to do the last few weeks? I am sure Haden has not been just sitting around eating chips. As far as the depth chart goes where do you rank SS? RS, TM, Moats & Fort were all ahead of him......