1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

did we do enough to get us over the hump

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, May 1, 2016.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Lost:---- Gained:

miller--- green--- grimble
    beachum--- hawkins--- harris
    bryant--- ayers
    spence--- fort--- feeney--- mccord--- matekevich
    gradkowski--- vaughn
    allen--- burns
    allen--- davis
    blake--- golson*
    johnson--- nix
    garvin--- feeney--- mccord--- matekevich--- johnson
    mclendon--- hargraves--- matthews
    boykin--- burns--- golson*
    adams*--- hawkins--- harris
    harrison*--- feeney--- mccord

this isn't meant to be a man for man listing but an overall listing. of course harrison could be back. adams could remain. golson isn't a true new addition. thats why some have an *. we could also figure in guys like chickillo, walton, lyons, hooks, philon as new options. many other futures players that may rise are on the 90 man roster at this point. we could still have some guys rise that we don't know a lot about yet. frey being a guy we could make a case for as he does have some NFL experience. :cool:

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I have high hopes for Chick, Lyons, Walton, and Grant. Coach Mitchell says he really likes where big Dan is. With him and Hargraves we are ok in the middle.

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think we did. I think we are faster and more athletic. Honestly the defense should be alot more improved with dupree having a year under his belt.

The thing that concerns me more is are we unrealistic in thinking the offense can duplicate last year?

4. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

Oh I think we can be better.

Now it is going to look different without Heath and Bryant. However, I think that will be more in distribution than output.

Remember the key is having Bell healthy and Pouncey healthy. I expect us to run more and throw to backs and TE more compared to the WRs, but we will still score plenty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I tend to think the offense will sputter a little at first without Heath. He made our offensive line look a lot better both in the run game and pass pro. After a couple games I think they will sort out roles between Green, James, and Spaeth and we will start rolling again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Barring injuries, I see no reason the offense can't be better. Wild card is replacing Bryant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't think we hurt ourselves. I'll put it that way for this season.

But we're set up to have one helacious defense in 2-3 years...

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I watched Chickillo closely towards the end of last season with the old binoculars. He is young and over ran plays. But, he was always going full speed and never left off until the whistle blew.

9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'll put together a roster here at some point. That is usually the only way I can see where we truly are. We still have a couple of holes that I hope we can fill with late vet signings.

10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016

This may be the homer coming out in me so keep that in mind...

I think we can be better (overall) for these reasons:

1. I believe Bell will make it the entire season this year. (We've been doing this without Bell at the end of the season and the playoffs.)
    2. Dupree will have a year of maturity under his belt. (Feeling him and Timmons are going to be terrors on the defense.)
    3. Our secondary has to be better then it was last year because we've added athletes who can only get better as the season progresses.
    4. With the addition of having Bell around, less hits on Ben so he won't get ding up and/or hurt.
    5. Ladarius Green will be a serious weapon for us on offense; More then Heath ever was.
    6. The addition of Wyers will free AB up on those punt returns; lowering the chance of AB getting hurt and still possibly improving our special teams play year round with a consistent punt returner.
    7. The addition of Feeney can only push Jarvis Jones to be better or get out. We needed a young, hungry, (gotta make the team) linebacker to come in here and bring some enthusiasm.

I think our offense well be just as potent and with the defense putting the ball in our offense's hands a couple of extra times a game, I think we are in pretty good shape.

Now...if you ask me could we do more? I think if we could add a veteran DE to help rotate in with Tuitt and Heyward, that would be great. I'm a little concerned about how many snaps Heyward and Tuitt will have to have.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah health is and has always been the key for this team.

12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We did enough to hold serve in my opinion.

I know kids in draft aren't finished products, but these kids we drafted seem pretty raw. I think the ones I feel the best about at this moment is the Houston PR, and maybe the safety from Maryland.

I think there are some issues yet to really be solidified though. We lost Mclendon, and replaced him with Hargrave. We still need another another guy on the Dline IMHO. With the new emphasis on Dline, we need to be 4 or 5 deep.

Also I think the real problem with the secondary is that our outside linebackers aren't disruptive. We are going to be in a bad spot with Jarvis either way. Either he stinks this year and Steelers let him walk, or he plays great and maybe becomes too expensive. The fact that the guy behind him is still Harrison and not some young guy to push Jarvis really concerns me. I don't think Chickillo or Feeney are in real contention here. I hope I'm wrong.

13. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I don't think we sputter. I think James will be a more then capable blocker in Heath's place. He's had a year to practice his pass protections; He'll do just fine.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I suspect our run game is going to be even better with Pouncey back. And Bryant was good but you guys really don't believe in Coats. But you will by season's end. He's going to be good for us.

15. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think you may be underestimating just how good of a blocker Heath was. I like James a lot, but he won't become the outstanding blocker Heath was in one year.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    From "Old, Slow, and done" to "Young, Fast, and fun", I think Tomlin has done enough. More over, now Butler, John Mitchell, Joey Porter, and Carnell Lake have solid forms of clay to mold (especially Lake). Pressure is on him to develop Burns and Davis into solid to potentially tier one defensive backs.

17. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    You may be right. But I think that James watched Heath and knows exactly what the bar of excellence is and that he's expected to meet that bar. And I think he will.

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I feel good about the direction. Addressed needs in the draft. The tale of the tape starts with health of all major players. Keep Ben healthy 1stand foremost. Can't afford to lose Heyward or Tuitt but I like the Hargrave pick. A lot.
    Sammy Coates will take the next step. Carnell Lake has some players to work with. The Defense has been retooled over the last 2 seasons and has gotten younger.

19. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2016-5-1_19-31-28.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Just one opinion, but I expect the defense to be worse at the beginning of the season than last year, but better at the end. I expect the offense to keep going. If we can get into the playoffs I think we could be quite competitive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Hold up on that Gradkowski talk, the Steelers are trying to sign him.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Multiple sources say deal done today and he will sign tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  23. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think we won't see any of these draft picks make and contributions this year. Maybe some on special teams but I don't see any logging in significant snaps on offense or defense.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Tuitt, Shazier, Dupree and Jarvis all started 4-5 games their rookie season. These starts probably came towards the end of the season. I would still consider that a contribution if our first 3 picks have that success.

25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If we stay healthy and dont get swept by the raisins we win the SB. Huge IF though