1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did The Secondary Prove Themselves Today?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by nitrous12, Oct 30, 2011.

1. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I liked the game plan today and was ecstatic to see the man coverage and DBs not playing 10 yards off all game. The execution was there and I saw a lot of different DBs making plays and providing good coverage. Pressure was decent at times, but I don't think you can say they looked good because Brady had no time. It seemed like a really good effort on the D that was equal parts pressure, LB play and coverage.

Looked to me like this secondary is legit and I really believe a lot of it has to do with Carnell Lake coaching this entire unit up!

2. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    #1 pass D in NFL must mean something!!

3. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree, but there was a lot of questioning about that ranking going on because of the competition so far. This was the opponent to prove it agains so mission accomplished.

4. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Really think Cortez Allen and Keenan Lewis had a lot to do with the outcome today. Nice to see our young guys get some playing time, with Sylvester and Carter getting some snaps as well, albeit for a reason I'd rather not have (injured starters).

5. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    its tough to look good as a db when your alsways playing 10 yards off the wr.

those guys finally got a chance to play the position the way it should be played and they did really good.

6. CbusSteel

CbusSteel Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree nitrous12. When's the last time we've seen our entire defense 5 to 7 yards off the line. It was awesome. Something tells me that that the players talked Coach Lebeau into this coverage.

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Keenan Lewis :applaud: At the beginning of the season, my hope in this guy was low. Not all the way gone, but probably around 20%. He now seems like a real player and could be here for awhile. Just in time.

Ryan Mundy :applaud: (except for the PI on 4th down) Gronkowski was almost a non-factor. Sure didn't get 3 touchdowns. Mundy was locked on him a lot.

William Gay :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: What can you say about this guy? Worst starting CB in the league two years ago. Barely satisfactory as a nickel back and at times a liability last year. This year he looks like a legit starter. I waited until the Patriots before I typed it because he hadn't seen much competition, but he was all over those guys today.

Dick LeBeau :applaud: Very well called game all-around. 5 play goal line stand! Not his fault it wound up a touchdown anyway. For the most part shut down the Pats.

Carnell Lake :applaud: I'm not at practice, but something's happened to our secondary. 3rd year Keenan Lewis finally pulled it together, but that might be due to more experience. But WiIlliam Gay? In his FIFTH year?? He must have something to do with the random emergence of Gay.

Now if Brown and Allen work out, we'll be in pretty good shape for the coming years. We just need some healthy linebackers.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Will Allen was healthy for once and making plays too!!! That guy is pretty decent when healhty.

I saw Cortez Allen out there, but not Brown, what is the story there?

At this point is there a reason to keep Bmac around?

9. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    IM saying it now... we are getting that seventh ring for Ward, Farrior, BMAC, and Foote because after this year they will take a back seat to their heirs in waiting " Lets get numba 7 baby". :herewego!:

10. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I just hope they do NOT go back to zone again

11. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    They did an outstanding job today and special thanks to DL who showed an old dog CAN learn new tricks after all :applaud:

12. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    depends on the opponent.
    zone against some opponents and man-coverage against Marcia, Rodgers, Brees and the likes

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is a good question.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    People football is football, most of these guys have been playing football
    since midget football. They know how to play man to man defense. Just because
    Lebeau chooses to play zone doesn't mean these players can't play man to man.
    They are all blessed with amazing skills, they can adapt to where they need to, now granted it takes time to hone these man to man skills but with an adequate pass rush they can do it. :drinks:

15. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Ike Taylor needs to be recognized for his coverage on Welker. Possibly the toughest man to cover in the NFL and Ike shut him down. Brady had to look to at least his second option on almost every play. :thumbs_up: :hello:

16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think Lake has done a great job. I never liked Ray Horton and thought the secondary actually regressed during his tenure as DB coach. Another reason I believe the secondary has improved is because of who they have to go up against in practice every day. This secondary has to go up against Wallace, Brown and Sanders and when you throw the wiley veterans Ward and Cotchery into the mix, that's quite a group to have to defend. I'm sure when Sunday rolls around, most of the other teams in the league don't have the stable of receivers the Steelers do so the defensive backfield has an easier time of it. Iron sharpens iron. That's my theory anyway.

17. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, our offense helped a great deal keeping Brady off the field. (Hey! what a concept! A total team effort! :yahoo: )

That said, from what little I can tell so far, they kept Brady mostly in check. They're the Patriots. They're going to make plays and score points. If you can stop them just enough, you did a good job.

From what I've read, they did a GREAT job.

I was happy about Lake coming in as DB coach before... now I'm flipping ecstatic.

18. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    They did indeed do a great job. There were a lot of plays where Brady dropped back, there's no pash rush, and you're thinking, "Oh great, no pressure. Here it comes..." But then Brady just keeps standing there. Eventually someone breaks through, and he's forced into making a bad throw or throwing it away. Great coverage all night long.

I keep shouting this from the rooftops, but the New England offense really only earned 3 points. Like, if it was ERA like in baseball, it would be three. On their first TD, the drive started on our 9 yard line. That's an error. On the second touchdown, they had five plays to score from inside the 10 yard line and didn't. First we jumped offsides on 3rd down to let them start over, and the 5th play had the PI on Mundy, but it didn't affect the play. If he hadn't done it, it would have been incomplete and we'd have taken over. That's an error. The defense played better than they're getting credit for, and in my book they're what won us the game.