1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Fields lock up QB1?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 13, 2024 at 8:44 PM.

1. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh they don’t see that at all. I mean over 300 yards means nothing. They think it should be 300 passing yards a game.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He hasn't continued to improve. His last two games were his worst as a Steeler. To be fair, I'm not evaluating him as a runner. We know he can do that. Based on everything he has shown in the NFL, including three years in Chicago and six games as a Steeler, he isn't a good enough passer to be the starting quarterback for an NFL team.

Fields is easy to like. He seems like a good kid. He's tough. He says all the right things. I don't dislike him. I simply don't think he is good enough at his job to help the Steelers be a real contender. He hasn't done much to change my mind this season. He showed that if they put the training wheels back on and don't put too much on him, he can cut down on both the production and the turnovers. That's not going to get it done.

Have you seen Jayden Daniels play yet? He is a rookie and he is far more polished than Fields in his fourth season. It's not even close. Fields struggles to read defenses. He is slow to make decisions as a passer. He sometimes panics and loses his mechanics even when he has plenty of time. (See the ugly throw on the move before they had to settle for Boswell's second field goal Sunday for example.) He also can't throw with touch. Everything is a fastball. He can't put air under a ball when necessary. Everything has to be a line drive.

Check out these highlights from Daniels against the Ravens. Watch his first touchdown pass, the one to McLaurin in the second quarter. That's a rookie making a throw I've never seen Fields make. I don't think Fields can make it. He would try throwing a fastball and that likely would have been broken up. He just doesn't have that tool in his toolbox, which is a big problem.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the reason you make the change to Wilson isn't about the future. It is about winning right now. They are 4-2 and tied for first in the division. This isn't the time to give up on 2024. It si the time to do whatever gives them the best opportunity to win right now. Maybe that is Fields, but he hasn't proven it over these six games, not if you put everything in context.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Are you slow??? I said if we could.....IF, but we can with the Qb. I'm starting to come to the realization that You want us to fail so then You can blame it on the HC. Because if a different Qb all of a sudden came in and did well....what could you complain about. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Yes, the team has scored 11 TDs this season and Fields has accounted for 10 of them. It is ridiculous to even consider any team that is 4-2 and tied for first place to change their QB just to see what the other guy can do. You only do that if he is injured or has a couple of terrible performances in a row. There may be a time for that later this season but now is certainly not the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Failing to see open receivers is a mistake. Botched snaps that ruin plays are mistakes even when they don't turn into turnovers. Poor throws that fall incomplete are mistakes. An interception that is wiped out by a penalty is a mistake.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    I really wish you would have done this as a Poll to see how many people believe in Justin after 6 games. Record 4 - 2.

As you pointed out his last performance of 145 yards passing was nothing to write home about for a QB, but his running skills are impressive.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :this!:

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You do it if you signed the other guy to be your starter and he has a far better track record. You do it if you see that the guy who started the first six games is extremely limited as a passer. You do it if he just had his worst game as a passer against a terrible opponent with a terrible defense.

9. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Kenny Pickett says Hello

10. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I imagine you playing the lead role in simple jack.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    are for some strange reason afraid [/QUOTE]

Since you asked

Personally the only thing I’m afraid of is large animals with teeth that want to eat me

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wow...awesome comeback. LoL. Just go write more how it's Tomlins fault threads.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2024 at 7:57 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Yeah the Steelers had 332 yards of offense, would they have been happier if we had 330 yards passing and 2 yards rushing? I know I wouldn't because stats like that mean that you probably lost the game.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Teams are pinning their ears back and rushing Fields, so let's forget that theory. If Wilson plays and gets hurt, you go back to Fields.

Also, Mahomes has a track record. You know he will figure it out. Based on Fields' track record, the only think we can expect is that the turnovers will start soon enough.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    @S.T.D ,I get where you're coming from on this, I really do. However, the part I'm having trouble with is how easy you assume a move like this is. You're a smart guy. You know football. You have to know how hesitant most coaches are to change QBs, especially one that has a winning record. And then to just simply go right back to the original QB? Given his history with the Rudolph/Trubisky debacle from last year, I would think you of all people would understand Tomlin's reluctance to switch quarterbacks.
    You seem to be unwilling to acknowledge the moving parts involved with a move like this. What do the players think? What's the dynamic in the locker room? If Wilson comes in, how many games does he get? 6, because that's what Fields got? What constitutes an upgrade? What will you base your judgement of him on? What if he throws for more yards but they still lose? Throws for more yards, scores more points but gets sacked more and throws more ints?

As I said before, I'm fine if they want to give Wilson a shot but there is way more to it than you are acknowledging.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    No need

I can quote them as well

:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I mean he’s obviously a complete moron for not “seeing what we got in washed up RW”

You have to agree with that? Must be difficult for you to disagree with an idol.

18. TWISTER

Oct 23, 2011
    I just think it’s funny how all the experts on NFL Network, ESPN doesn’t say the the Steelers need to start Wilson. Just to see. I mean are they scared?…lmao

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

There are actually people that are more afraid to be wrong than there are people afraid of large animals. I don't know why. I've said if I'm wrong about the Qb change they can do a whole thread about it. It won't be the 1st, or the last time I've been wrong. ..., but I'm not afraid to find out. That's why when I started boxing, and martial arts....I had to climb in the ring....I had to know....not just guess at how good I was. It's why when I play music....I have to play out....not just do in in my bedroom. I don't mind being wrong, or finding out the hard way.....I do mind not trying though.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2024 at 8:01 PM
  20. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    They are all scared idiots just like MT who won’t pull the trigger.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But it doesn't bother You that we have no team fear us passing, that they are just moving up more , and more in every game, and therefore stifling the running lanes. We won't play the Raiders again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah funny the same media experts that said it wasn't the Qbs in Chicago, Washington, and Texans....it was the owners GMs, and coaches....yet when all 3 got different Qb....they look totally different. I guess people mean those media people, or the same media people that have picked us last in the division for the last 3 year....yet we have never been....that media, or the media that said Trubisky just need out of Chicago, and He would do well in Pittsburgh. That media??? LoL

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    I wonder if now would be a good time to dig up the old posts from people who wanted us to sign Aaron Rodgers

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Or Watson.

25. TWISTER

Oct 23, 2011
    I’d lean more towards giving Najee and Fields more credit than saying the Raiders were plain out bad.