1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Fields lock up QB1?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 13, 2024 at 8:44 PM.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Giants and Browns might be just as bad as the Raiders.

2. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    At this point, if a change would be needed, I'd rather see Allen than Wilson. Wilson may still be a good QB, but let's face it - his career is nearly over. He was a nice pick up due to Denver footing the bill, but he just isn't going to be the future, all - ever.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Russell Wilson needs to start, so the offense can get back to moving the ball.

Not sure how someone could be excited about a QB coming off 145 yards passing game stat, unless the QB only played for a half

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Not his best game through the air, but this o-line needs someone mobile behind it, and he's killing it with his legs. I hope people realise that you can watch any game you like and QB's are missing throws, and missing guys running open all the time, it's not just a Steelers thing.

He's running for his life a lot of the time how do you think 34 year old RW is going to look under the same pressure? - Please don't tell me we're gonna see a version of Peyton Manning/Dan Marino back there zipping out throws to open guys just in time to beat the rush, because we're not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Fields is not the answer. We're 4-2 because we've mostly done what we needed to do through the weakest part of our schedule. It gets a lot tougher after the bye. My wife is a Bears fan, so I've seen every game Fields has played since entering the league. He has his moments and he's playing better than he was with the Bears. Having said that, he's a running QB that will never get us to the SB let alone win it. If we get into a shootout with a team with a franchise QB and Fields is our QB, we're in trouble. When he's forced to pass a lot, his poor decision making and lack of field recognition rears its ugly head. He's a stopgap in my view. I think we need to see what Russell has left in the tank and continue to search for our next franchise QB (draft or trade).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know, maybe coaching, Brice? I don’t know how many times you have to be smashed in the face before connecting the dots at what you are watching.

Fact is though, they are 4-2, easily could be 5-1 since they had the lead until the last play of the game against the Cowboys. And the defense didn’t show up at all for the Colts game. He also has 1 WR to throw to who dropped another TD yesterday. The offense score 32 freaking points, not like it was another 13 point output.

Clamoring for a 36 years old washed QB that another team paid 80 million to make go away is not the answer.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Maybe if Pickens wouldn't have droped a td and à couple more passes, or if fields wasn't a foot over the line when he threw the td to muth. People wouldnt be bitching as much?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    I still think Fields would make an excellent "Slash" type player coming off the bench for a handful of plays every game.

I just don't believe Justin Fields has any business being a Starting QB.

Hoping Russell Wilson gets the start soon

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016
    We're not beating any elite team who can put up points, whoever is at QB.

Get back to moving the ball?

So we were moving the ball before Fields was named starter?

:lolol:

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    As long as he continues to improve keep throwing him out there. It’s more than about just this season. They need a better idea of where they stand at the position going into the draft.

Wilson isn’t winning them a SB and he’s not the long term solution. Not sure what the desire there is to see him step in other than just not liking Fields.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. SteelLion69

SteelLion69 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2023
    They should stay with Fields as stater. If he keeps winning, stay with him. If the wheels fall off then consider Wilson.

No matter what, the Steelers must draft a QB, even if a developmental project. They need to be taking QBs every year until they find the Big Ben replacement.

12. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022

We've played such a weak early schedule and he hasn't been asked to do much. I still haven't seen anything in his passing that makes me think he'll win a game through the air when the Steelers play a more talented team.

I am still of the belief our starting QB for 2025 and beyond is not on the roster (money playing a role in that). Does anyone want to pay Fields $40 million a year for this kind of output? I sure dont. Obviously we wouldn't pay Russ that much.

Unless Fields takes a 1 year prove it deal or something strange (highly unlikely), he's going to seek out 8 figure per season deal and sorry, so far, hasn't shown's hes anything but a solid RB that occasional can hit a spot with a pass.

Now, has Fields locked up #1 now? I sure hope not, still hasn't done anything memorable during a high-stress 4th quarter. Once I see him playing composed, down one or two scores, in the 4th, I'll feel like, hey, maybe this guy can pass as an NFL starting QB moving forward. He maintains the starting job, yes, until he has a stinker of a game, like multiple bad decisions/plays when its needed.

Our problem as Steelers fans is we went from pro-bowl level QB play to relegation-level QB and offense. So now, we see even a sliver of talent or one or two splash plays and we think we have ourselves a franchise QB. I am not sold on any QB on the roster currently sniffing franchise-level QB play, thus skeptical the starting QB will be on this roster same time next year (that and wanting far more money than they're actually worth).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I like to remind people that it isn't just that he writes poorly or always goes for the negative interpretation of whatever is going on with the Steelers. It is that he brings no real insight, no actual information. He has no sources on that team. He won't even go to the locker room after the game unless something has changed. He writes and says bad things about the players, then lacks the guts to face them in person. This wasn't just my observation when I worked in the Pittsburgh media. This is what others who were around the team a lot more often told me. The guy has no respect from anyone. People like him are the reason why so many fans disrespect all sports media. I refuse to give him even one click. Ever.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Yeah, I agree, although a stop gap for who? It's too bad next year's QB draft class supposedly is nowhere near the quality of this year's Williams, Daniels, May.

15. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016

I haven't seen anyone saying Fields is a franchise QB.

The Steelers aren't beating any of the elite teams when it comes to crunch time, but that was the case before Fields as well. We have been watching the same team act out the same movie for years.

We're not a QB away when we have such poor coaching. To me, the QB debate here is a red herring, what we should be asking is how are we so flat so often? (been going on for years) and how come the line is always so bad? and why is the offense in general always so bad?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    We don't know that Wilson is washed. He threw 26 TD’s last year and was near the top (2nd i think) in 4th quarter comebacks. But let them play fields as long as they keep winning, although they’re winning for other reasons - not because of any passing proficiency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016

When was the last time we won games throwing the ball though?

18. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Behind this version of an OL Justin Fields' ability to escape and make something positive out of complete failure is the quality we need. If we had a pure pocket passer standing back there we would be 0-6 or 1-5 at best. Justin Fields is what this offense needs right now. 4-2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    last year with Rudolph

20. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016

LMAO, two games, and then beat Balti with 152 yards passing. That's not a sample size anyone should be taking seriously.

I mean if you are taking that seriously, then Mason Rudolph is a franchise QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Who's advocating to move on from Smith?! Sure as hell not me. Going from Matt Canada to Arthur Smith was no different than the time my family went from DSL to Fiber Optic Internet!! :lolol:

22. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I dont get why people are bashing fields, When the kid had to pass he completed 70 percent of his passes over 300 yrds.. he improved every game untill this last game and last time i looked he scored 2 td's this game every Qb is gonna have a bad game now and then....Jf will be fine f
    going forward

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016
    It's because QB is the easiest target, and the simplest target. The Steelers problems on offense are multi-layered and and have been going on for years, but it is human nature to look for the easiest and quickest fix, and that's always just change the QB.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    go ahead and LYAO, Rudolph is the last guy in a steelers uniform to win a game through the air. 290 yards and 2 TD’s passing. Fields hasn't done that yet. He couldn't even do that against the Raiders. Like i said, everything is ok as long as we’re winning i guess. But i do think Tomlin’s leash on Fields has gotten shorter recently.

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I think fields has shown significant improvement from what he showed in Chicago. He’s been accurate and largely mistake free. However, as they’ve opened up the offense a bit he’s struggled some. I believe it would do him some good to sit and learn for a bit.