1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Fields lock up QB1?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 13, 2024 at 8:44 PM.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Quite a few, from memory.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    To sum up Fields - it feels like we’re going through the learning stage for a very talented, but raw, rookie QB. If he were a rookie doing everything he’s been doing, I’d be excited. Problem is, he needs to be paid soon instead of 4 years from now, and right now he’s not worth starter dollars.

Yesterday it seemed like the coaches had told him to go ahead and use his legs if he wasn’t comfortable with what he was seeing downfield. I think that needs to remain part of the plan going forward for him. He’s not a pocket passer. Don’t force that on him.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Does anybody see Kordell Stewart in Justin Fields?

• Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not sold on him. hope and pray offense. refs, ST's, defense made this win possible. o-line didn't play too bad. if nobody noticed the last few drives we had backup o-linemen across the board on the line. they even looked pretty good. good for now, not the franchise, russell needs a shot as well. it's about this year and then many things will change. hopefully. shout out to moon at OLB. that kid played a good game. :cool:

5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    At the moment I think Kordell was a better passer.

6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    This is a tough call for the Steelers. Wilson or Fields. I am starting to enjoy having a QB with legs but get PO'd with his passes. He improves in that area which is possible Steelers going to have a big ass decision to make after season.

7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    The problem with Fields.

In my mind, it is a wager to see if Antonio Pierce or Doug Pederson get fired first. I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if both are canned later today.
    The Raiders are a mess, internally and on the field, and Fields had some really awful plays in sailing passes, an inexplicable lateral pass and half a dozen other head scratchers.
    But he ran well against the defenseless Raiders.
    He ran for 59 yards and 2 TDS and both were pretty nice runs.
    He passed for 145 yards against this defense.
    To his credit, he doesn't have a legit 2nd WR, and Pickens, well you never know what kind of mood he is in and the Raiders 1 area they do fairly well in, Pass defense.

My guess is that yes, he has locked in the #1 spot.
    The bad news is, he doesn't play against the Raiders every week.

I figure 6 losses to close out the season to see 9-8.
    There's a couple they could pull out if everything goes well and that might make them 10-7 or 11-6.
    I just can't see Wilson seeing the field during his stay here.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2024 at 11:52 AM
  8. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Winning is a team stat. Without the Steelers defense, Fields is likely 2-4 or maybe worse. Passing is what a QB is supposed to do, and Fields is mostly average at doing it. And the Raiders defense is no juggernaut. Windows will be a lot tighter against quality opponents and throwing an accurate ball will be critical.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    WR2 in A. Smith's offense is an afterthought. It's the TEs that are not getting the ball. Fields is late looking for them breaking open.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Fields is doing exactly what the OC and MT want him to do, just as last year don't turn ball over
    let defense and kicking game win it at the end. The only thing different from this offense from last year is that Fields is an exceptional
    athlete.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we won, all that matters. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, I mentioned that in another thread, but I definitely see similarities.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Understood

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    upload_2024-10-14_7-48-18.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes

Unfortunately

Kordell was a great athlete but not a very good quarterback

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't think the offense lost the Dallas game. To me it was on the defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011

It wasn’t luck by any shot

But it is still not something to depend on

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/58...ce=dailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=11964319

The Steelers got away with doing a lot wrong because the Raiders are horrible. They don't play another opponent that bad. Even the Browns are better. They will have Chubb back by the time the Steelers play them and they have a decent defense.

It could get even tougher if Frazier misses significant time. Much of that damage in the running game came before his injury. Fields has to be better as a passer for the Steelers to be a real threat and he hasn't shown many signs that he can do that. Opening things up might create some more big plays, but it is also likely to create more turnovers. Fields got away with some big mistakes yesterday. It wasn't just the interception that was wiped out by a penalty. He had two huge mistakes after the blocked punt. One I forgot to mention earlier was the high fastball he threw to Warren on a short lateral. That fumble was on him. Warren saved him by falling on it. The next play, he threw late into a crowd. Freiermuth made an excellent catch in the end zone that was wiped out because Fields also failed to realize he was over the line of scrimmage, but it's a ball he acknowledged he shouldn't have thrown.

The issues in the passing game aren't all on Fields. The receiving corps just isn't good. Austin has disappeared in all but two games. Pickens seems to be regressing. He still dogs it far too often and he ha seven been dropping passes the last two weeks, something that had been a strength of his game previously. They continue to waste snaps on Van Jefferson, who is useless. Teams are going to continue to stack the box and attack the decimated offensive line. Fields simply isn't good enough as a passer to back them off.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Mark Madden a local media schmuck thinks they should start Wilson

For that reason alone I’m on the Fields band wagon

• Like Like x 1
  20. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    How long untilk Wilson becomes a distraction in the lockerroom because he is not playing?

21. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    I was hoping to see some Steve Young in Fields, i think that was overly optimistic.

22. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Not until he starts catching TD passes. Hey, that gives me an idea;)

• Like Like x 2
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is a good reason to support Fields, though I hope you got that from a headline and didn't give something Madden wrote a click. The more we ignore the guy the sooner he goes away.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Headline I can’t read his stuff

He’s like a fly

Every time he gets shooed away he lands somewhere else

• Like Like x 1
  25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Fields just seems to do enough. But that is not sustainable. Can't live off the runs for the long term. His field vision is suspect. The calls I believe are look for the primary then bail or look for the safety valve.

And after the bye the schedule gets much tougher. Although the Jets game will be a is a coin toss.