1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Fields lock up QB1?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 13, 2024 at 8:44 PM.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

So basically, do what Baltimore did to get Lamar Jackson off to the races?!

I'd agree!!!.... if that were the case. Would need to get another OC then given how such an Offensive shift simply isn't within Arthur Smith's ability at the moment. People tend to forget that Baltimore had to enact a complete 180 just to get Lamar Jackson to work.

Could the same happen to Fields?! I hope so; ecstatic by it should the results be similar. Wil it happen?! Doubtful.

2. LoneHorseman

LoneHorseman Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Problem with Fields is, if we get behind, not the type of QB, imo, that can lead a comeback, especially against a good to an elite team. So far this season, good game manager when we're ahead or close. Again, imo, just from the eye test,
    good game manager > explosive elite qb

• Like Like x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm glad for the win, and I won't talk down on the kid, but if people are not seeing all the missed opportunities that are being left on the field. Well....it's because You don't want to see them. The problem I have is the D can't always bailout the team. Hell we seen that last week. Even though they got 3 turnovers, and the special teams had a blocked field goal our offense wasn't enough. Oh by the way. Anyone see how Chicago is doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Yes he did lock up the QB1 job. Justin Fields is exactly what Tomlin wants. A rushing QB who can pass a little bit and protect the ball. It's rich to call him a QB but okay, that is the name of the position.
    Until for a couple of years sht hits the fan late in season or postseason and you really need a good QB.

5. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Neither one excites me much, but we’ve got what we got. Probably will depend on which one stroking Tomlins ego more.

6. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Not comfortable at all with Justin against the AFCN heavy second half. I would have liked to see Wilson a bit today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AtlSteel

Nov 30, 2021
    Go Giants! I think the Bungles will get on track at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LoneHorseman

Apr 19, 2017
    Hopefully there's a happy ending...

Oh, wait a minute :huh:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now the Bengals have a terrible Defense. I believe Joe Burrow has scored 13 tds, and only had two turnovers, and they can't win. Imagine if our Qbs scored 13 tds already with our D

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AtlSteel

Nov 30, 2021
    They will be a problem. IMO we don't beat them with our current offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. LoneHorseman

Apr 19, 2017
    I agree... Way to many missed assignments, bad communication and blown coverages from our secondary. Seems good things happen, when we dial up one of our blitz packages and showed today. We let Burrows dissect the field for 3 or 4 seconds, we're going to get cooked

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    As a passer, today was a clunker for Fields, and that is the quarterback's primary job. I don't know how anybody could watch the first half today and think that locked up anything for Fields. He made poor reads. He missed open receivers. He threw a killer interception. Yes, the officials bailed him out with the roughing the passer call, but that doesn't make his mistake any less ugly.

Fields came through with a few nice throws in the second half and he did some real damage with his legs, but his limited production isn't just on the coaches being conservative. The throws are there and he either isn't seeing them or is missing on too many of them.

Edit: One other thing I've been meaning to mention. I watched a good bit of Jayden Daniels today against the Ravens. He is everything we wish Fields could be but isn't. Both are dynamic runners with great arms. The differences are that Daniels makes good reads, is more consistently accurate, and can make throws with touch. Fields struggles with reads and accuracy and almost never seems to throw with touch. Look at the highlights from Daniels today, specifically the touchdown pass he threw in the first half. He couldn't throw that one on a line. It had to have touch on it. Fields can't make that throw. I doubt he ever will.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2024 at 11:18 PM
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. DIzzyG3015

DIzzyG3015 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2022
    no mate absolutely disagree. Fields was terribly inaccurate and erratic in the first half. Had guys wide open and was not even under pressure and still threw horrible. And lets not forget the interception which was called back luckily. I do not understand why people want to stick with Fields so badly when we have not seen a single snap from Russ.

14. AtlSteel

Nov 30, 2021
    He doesn't see the field. We have no idea how good this offense can be. This is so much a Tomlin team. We beat some ****ty teams and that's all the validation that Tomlin needs. We're about to run into a buzzsaw and we are not prepared.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Fields has 10 total TD’s.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No way they move on from Smith. Really just need to open things up I feel. The difference between this offense and the one under Pickett is primarily Fields rushing ability. Otherwise its the same timid safe offense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Defense is covering for him and they’re a major part of generating the 4 wins. I guess that's good enough for Tomlin. But if your looking down the stretch and are serious about a postseason run this year its not nearly enough.

18. AtlSteel

Nov 30, 2021
    Did he throw any passes between the seams?

19. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Fields does not seem to see the field very good and today missed wide open receivers .If 500 is your goal he is your man , if better than one and done is the goal he is not .Would russ do better ? Untill he plays we will not know ,play him now so we know what he has left , besides in order to make a solid run Wilson needs game time to knock off the rust and meld with the offence. Why wait to find out .

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This team is not a real contender with Fields. Given the injuries on the line and the lack of a true No. 2 receiver, I doubt they would be one with Wilson, either, but at least there's a chance.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    don’t let facts ruin the narrative.

22. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    you said it: it’s good enough for Tomlin.

23. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Fields is 4-2 as the starter I don’t see MT pulling the plug until he has to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    They don’t have a number 1 WR either. That group is the most uninspiring collection I can ever remember on a Pro Team.

25. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    look at his passing stats. Not impressive. Hes not going to run his way to the playoffs. All defenses need to do is get a defender to key in or spy on him.