1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Canada do enough?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by THREE RIVER SHIVER, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I found it interesting because they are well aware that they don’t fire coaches under contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Frankly, if the offense in 23 looks like 21 and 22, then Canada should bring Tomlin to the unemployment line as well. Bringing back Canada is just ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    He’s gotta be the smartest guy in the room can’t have any competition. Surrounding yourself with Canada is a savvy move. I hate the guy but he is not dumb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Canada made it through the 1st week after the Steelers season ended.

If I read an article correctly, it said that the Steelers announced that both Fitz and Haley would not be coming back to the team for another year the 1st week after the Steelers season concluded.

I would say that Canada's odds of coming back just increased.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Let's hope they bring in a run and pass game coordinator if they are going to keep
    Matt Canada. Our route tree/ Route construction is not where other good offensive teams are. IE KC, Cincy, SF Other cuts that should be made on coaching staff. Special Teams, ILB Jerry O.
    Strength coach. Lets get new blood in here and see if we can improve in these areas.
    Can we finally bring in an NFL punter?

6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I look at no other than Joe Brady (QB Coach, Buffalo) for that role. Seems to be the most logical fit for the job. He's someone that you can attach a fake Assistant HC Title in front of to help guarantee some more money to starve off any potential OC jobs between now and a few weeks. Have Brady destroy and rebuild the route trees on every play... If the offense still sucks, he's someone that can take over say week 4 and become the OC, or when Canada's contract isn't renewed this time next year, promote the internal candidate Brady to OC... bada bing

Personally, I'd rather just make Brady the OC the second the Bills season is over. He's probably the most logical fit, in terms of a Tomlin type guy (not necessarily someone I actually prefer).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not so sure, The Bill's QB runs more than I like. I like my qb's to be able to move within the pocket,
    But not run as much as Josh Allen does. KP would get killed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    That's also on style of the QB. Good Coordinators flex their systems to the QB's strengths.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am starting to worry more about DJ than I am Canada .. We can get Matt some help with x's and o's route trees and play designs , but it seems DJ is becoming a locker room problem ..He had a argument with 1 QB then he started talking about throwing him the ball and now this stay tuned crap..

Plus it seems we are forcing a lot of balls his way deep fades he should not even be running so IMO he is the guy who could mess up the chemistry .. I hope we can trade him ...

10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    DJ runs disciplined routes and knows how to get open that is
    Why he catches 90/year. I hope the Steelers get Canada help. We
    Have the pieces to be a very good offense. Design!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Canada most certainly doo-doo'ed enough

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree he is a good route runner it's the how much of a Team guy is he ? Plus he does run backwards a lot and didn't even score a TD .. My point is if he has a problem sharing the spot light or is going to be a distraction to the young QB it would be better to replace him . I hope I am wrong but I am getting the feeling he may be the next AB attitude wise and IMO Pickens has better tools to help us win games ..

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. With the exception of sneaks, I can't see the Steelers using designed runs for the quarterback the way the Bills do. They did a little of it before Pickett's second concussion, but I think they know better. Pickett will still run some on designed pass plays when the field opens up, but he's not Josh Allen and should never be used that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. kayasuma

kayasuma Member

Sep 8, 2019
    If Canada stays, both Khan and Tomlin need to be shown the door. That won't happen though. <Mod Edit>

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well I hope He doesn't bring all those designed Qb runs with Him. J. Allen is going to have a short career if they don't stop. He runs enough on his own without them designing plays for Him to.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You beat Me to it. :thumbs_up:

17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Apples and Oranges. Ben wasn’t coming off his rookie season. They also have to factor Kenny’s development into this.

18. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Wow.

19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If they are going to fire Canada, I don’t know what they’re waiting for. Other teams are already interviewing for OC vacancies. You’re not doing yourself any favor by waiting.

If they’re waiting because they’re not sure if they want to fire him or not, then that doesn’t speak well of them.

I can only conclude that they’re going to keep him. And they’re not saying anything because you don’t announce personnel moves you don’t make. Example: Your boss didn’t announce that he’s not firing you today.

20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Run out of fingers and toes?

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought the same but then I did some homework

I can’t remember the specifics but they have more than once in a previous post I think I gave examples

But I can’t guarantee that brain cell is still firing properly

• Like Like x 1
  22. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I can’t see the wisdom of (1) not firing a coach under contract, and (2) spending money to bring in an additional person to (help) do Canada’s job.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The last coordinator they fired was Tim Lewis in 2003.

I can’t speak to positional coaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Steelers Depot said Canada contract runs through 2023, I think he's coming back next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Canada did enough to get fired. but he wont it makes me:ACK!::puking2::puking 5:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1