1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did BA give a back-handed insult to Tomlin?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    This is really confusing. Just what is BA's motivation for making this statement now? Does it have anything to do with his new situation. Are people over there asking him about the lack of halftime and in game adjustments during his stint with the Steelers? That in itself tells us that that lack was obvious to all, not just to us. Tomlin seemed to have liked BA. He wanted to have him back. He said so. Did Tomlin like BA and BA dislike Tomlin? That would be pretty weird.

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    this is not a surprise

3. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Can't speak for BA's motivation in saying the things he supposedly said. Maybe it's the truth, maybe it's sour grapes, or maybe a dig at Tomlin - or all three. Who knows for sure? The video however is telling. Was that 6 minutes worth of coaching, or was it more cheering and back slapping with the players? I didn't see any conferring with other coaches or involvement in the plays other than telling Ben to get rid of it faster, but any idiot, myself included, could have done that. To me he looked more like a spectator than someone who was seriously in charge. Maybe we need less yucking it up on the sidelines and more discipline and game strategy. Just saying.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i believe it. look no further then the PO game this year at denver. i touched on this in another thread. when we called TO on our last drive and ben came to the sidelines, ben and BA stepped on the field then MT stepped on the field 5-6 feet away from them and just stood there looking the other way. he was not involved in that crucial play call what so ever and completely uninterested in what they were talking about. i still find that completely hard to believe. those of you saying he's a defensive coach, thats crap too. if you coach defense you better well know offense, because thats what you are trying to defend. he also played WR in college. as a head coach, you need to have a clue about your whole team to some extent including ST's. that's why you are a head coach. if not teams would just hire OC's and DC's only. :cool:

5. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm not sure where BA's statement came from. I'm not going to pay it much attention.

As far as Tomlin... The worst his team has gone is 8-8. I believe that is the only time he missed the playoffs. He's been to the SB twice and he won one of those.

Out of... what?... Five seasons? He's been to the playoffs four times? Of those four times he made it to the Superbowl twice. Of the two Superbowl appearances he won once.

So... based off of his current record... if Tomlin gets to the playoffs... which he does 80% of the time... then there's a 50% chance he's going to the Superbowl... And if he gets to the Superbowl, then there's a 50% chance he will win it. Sounds like pretty good odds.

And he has accomplished all of this with secondaries graded as sub-par (until this past season) and a questionable O-Line.

The Steelers have their head coach.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    but the same would be true of BA. now tomlin has an OC that has been to the SB once and lost. since MT doesn't mess with the O, how will this affect those percentages? i'd say it drops them quite a bit. :cool:

7. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Look up Jim Wexell on twitter, he's been slamming the post gazette guys for their lame coverage of "retirement-gate". I can't read anything cook, dulac, bouchette are currently writing. Wexell speculates Arians might have been fired for his "loose mouth"... supporting my thought that the ppg guys lost their friend and source of insider info.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree. i can't stand cook. :cool:

9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Exactly! :clapping:

10. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I won't judge Tomlin based on what BA has to say. Let's judge him purely by his results.

11. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Despite the success that Tomlin has had, I really believe that the hiring of Haley puts him on a short leash. He was obviously overrulled when it came to retaining BA. He was told that they need to run the ball more effectively (more often) and still let BA and Ben chuck it all over the field. He has not made very many in game adjustments and has very often been seen not being involved in sideline discussions.

Yes - His Win Loss record and post season records are above standard but when you watch him on the sidelines on game day, he just does not seem to be all that involved. I honestly think that he is an average head coach with better numbers becuase of the personnel decisions from the Front Office.

If a manager of a company goes to bat for an employee and still can't save him from being let go that that said manager's decision making becomes questionable.

JMHO.

12. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Interesting interview with Colbert today. Sorry I can't figure out how to post twitter links:

Mike Prisuta @DVEMike
    Interesting observation/confirmation from Kevin Colbert on Haley OC hire today on DVE Morning Show: "That was Coach Tomlin's sole decision."

13. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    BA who? Who cares what Bruce has to say.He's irrelevant.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :good:

15. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    And notice you never heard me bash BA. I was critical of some of his weaknesses, but I think he's a solid OC. I maintain that solid run-blocking from the O-Line would have changed the perception of him. If Mendy/Red would have been given room to break more runs and/or at least not get hit, behind the line of scrimmage, so much, then the run stats would look much better. Then it would have just been an issue of why BA's offense would break down in the Red Zone. But that is another debate, and BA is gone. So it doesn't matter.

"MT doesn't mess with the O"? What do you mean by that, exactly? With no proof of Tomlin's level of "messing" with the O, and no observation of how Haley will handle the offensive weapons he's been handed, I cannot postulate, with any degree of accuracy, regarding the effect to the percentages.

I'm anxious to see what the team looks like with it's new OC.

16. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    He tried to coach Ben. Numerous times he talked about Ben needing to get rid of the ball earlier. Then, when he had a conversation with Ben, and told him he needed to "stay clean," Ben's response is something to the effect of, "... I only play one way..."

Sounds like Tomlin is trying to help his QB, and, by extension, the whole team, but his QB doesn't sound very coachable, here.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i was using it as an example of your prior statement about his winning and going to SB's where you ended with "the steelers have their head coach" i'm just saying the same could be said for BA, he's been here through everything you quoted about why they have their HC. that seems to mean nothing because BA was here too and it didn't help him keep his job either. just sayin. :cool:

18. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :thumbsup:

19. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    i was using it as an example of your prior statement about his winning and going to SB's where you ended with "the steelers have their head coach" i'm just saying the same could be said for BA, he's been here through everything you quoted about why they have their HC. that seems to mean nothing because BA was here too and it didn't help him keep his job either. just sayin. :cool:[/quote:cp8vpkf3]

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification. I'm honestly not clear about the removal of BA. I think the real reasons are haunting the halls of the facility, as we debate. However, you make a good point. If I look at it, from that vantage point, Tomlin could be in the hot seat.

This conversation could open up into many other related topics... 1) Was BA let go solely on performace? 2) How is Tomlin executing his plan as HC as related to the offense? 3) What is the true issue with the offense's shortcomings? 4) How does Ben play into all of this? 5) What is Art II really thinking?

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification. I'm honestly not clear about the removal of BA. I think the real reasons are haunting the halls of the facility, as we debate. However, you make a good point. If I look at it, from that vantage point, Tomlin could be in the hot seat.

This conversation could open up into many other related topics... 1) Was BA let go solely on performace? 2) How is Tomlin executing his plan as HC as related to the offense? 3) What is the true issue with the offense's shortcomings? 4) How does Ben play into all of this? 5)
    ?[/quote:23nc1iwg]
    i still think there are more people involved in these matters then just art. he is just the guy that gets to put them in motion for the board of directors. :cool:

21. 7+83=7

7+83=7 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sour grapes...happens all the time

22. 7+83=7

7+83=7 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    NICE!!

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually, he didn't go to bat for him this year, he did last year. Read that somewhere, my guess is that he was told, "he can stay, but its your ass on the line".

24. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Who cares, he's gone. This is non-Steelers related imo :)

25. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I agree. Seems Arians wants to cast blame elsewhere.

I do remember some time ago that it was reported that Tomlin didn't interfere with Arians and LeBeau and that they liked it that way. On old message boards, many posters questioned this approach. So that Arians is now seeming critical of this approach seems self-serving and convenient.