1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did BA give a back-handed insult to Tomlin?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Feb 14, 2012.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I read in one of Gerry Dulac's column's in the PPG yesterday (which I can't find to link tonight, sorry) that Arians made the comment after he was hired by the Colts to become their OC that Coach Tomlin NEVER offered any input to the offensive gameplan, adjustments within the games themselves, never told him he needed to run the ball more, pass the ball more, etc. Does anyone else have a problem with this? Can you see Bill Bellichick, Tom Coughlin, Sean Payton, etc. not offering any input into the offensive gameplan whatsoever? I've often thought that Tomlin has that "deer lost in the headlights" look during games, and have never really seen him "consulting" with Ben or BA on the sidelines during games, but this is a disturbing statement to me. I know the first few remarks I'll get are going to say that Tomlin leaves his coaches alone and let's them coach, etc., but that's bullcrap! A head coach needs to have SOME level of involvement in both the offensive and defensive gameplans and in making adjustments during games. I'm not saying he should take over, but when BA said he had NO INPUT AT ALL WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO THE OFFENSE IN THE 5 YEARS HE WAS THE OC IN PITTSBURGH UNDER TOMLIN, that's a little bit disconcerting.

2. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I find it very hard to believe that Tomlin never made comments about the offensive game plan.

3. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

Do you think BA is lying or is this just his way of getting a subtle jab in at Tomlin for not standing up to Art Rooney for him? I don't know, Scott. Tomlin looks VERY uninvolved DURING games to me. Shouldn't he be COACHING and giving input and questioning calls and making suggestions and making adjustments? He just almost looks like a casual spectator at times during the course of a game.

4. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    [youtube]m9BURFTwLVU&feature=related[/youtube] casual spectator :roll:

5. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

Your link doesn't work but if this is a video about Tomlin getting on the refs over a call, cheering on the players as they come off the field, etc., that has nothing to do with coaching. I've seen all of that from Tomlin and that's fine and it has its place. But you or I can antagonize the ref and cheer on the players. Anyway, maybe I shouldn't criticize your video before I even see it. Try the link again, please.

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Almost had it, Mojo. Just can't have the &feature=related stuff in there.

[youtube:1lpt1hsn]m9BURFTwLVU[/youtube:1lpt1hsn]

8. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    this is exactly the kind of writing that everyone on here criticizes the media outlets for putting out there. they label it a non-story and suggest the writer is taking liberties to try and create a mountain out of a molehill, speculate as best he can, and try his damndest to generate some debate.

well done. caps help, too.

9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

LOL! Only I don't get paid the BIG BUCKS (notice the caps) to write this kind of speculative, questionable, careless, opinionated crap that the guys with the PPG, the PTR and other publications do! I just do it mainly because there is this thing called the First Amendment. :D

10. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

Thanks for posting that TTF. I've seen this video many times. Did he actually do any COACHING (sorry Wanderer) in this video?

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    lol, holly **** Jack, you must have an ulcer the size of Canada. With the exception of fans, every single talking head I've seen weigh in on Tomlin think he is an excellent coach, usually you can find some disagreeing but I've never seen anything slightly negative about him.

12. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It probably was a slam at Tomlin. Tomlin may have....1. Known that he wouldn't listen anyway. 2. Trusted his coordinator to make the decisions.

Now that being said, I remember in the playoff game last year where we went for the 1st down against the Ravens. If I remember correctly, he was the one who said...stay agressive. Not a particular play, but he set the philosophy.

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    BA just wants BEN back......I think BA will say and do anything to make it happen....He may even poke Luck with a Steroid needle at the combine or plant some dope in his car...

14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :roflmao:

15. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I can care less what BA has to say.

16. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

How can we hate B.A so much, be so glad to see him go and I am. Then turn around and beleive everything he says? Who cares he's a jackass. :bscow: That is how Arians was born.

17. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    ha! i don't mind if people don't like a certain coach/player, etc. no need to apologize. we all want the same thing. i just enjoy talking about it. after all, it's THAT time of year. no lombardi, pre-draft . . . gotta talk about something.

oh, btw, i loved that video. gave me goose bumps. tell me THAT isn't a player's coach!! dude has fun, keeps his guys relaxed . . . i love the man. definitely a players' coach. i didn't watch it all the way through 'cause i'm gonna hit the town now (9pm, west coast, valentine's . . . the best night of the year for a single guy to prey).

regardless, i don't think that video was real. the director definitely took some liberties there. actually leading us to believe heath miller didn't fumble the ball and our cornerback picked off a pass. yeah, right. still, entertaining.

18. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    You mentioned Sean Payton. Tomlin is a defensive coach. I don't see the Saints as much as the Steelers, but does Payton get involved much with their defense? (I'm okay with being wrong, but I assume that he doesn't.)

It bothers me a bit that Tomlin doesn't have the obvious fire that we got from Cowher. That said, I suspect that Tomlin is quite different when the cameras go away.

If his feeling is that the offense should be run by offensive (not the pun) people, though, I see where he's coming from.

19. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Im sure Tomlin gives his staff a bit more leash then the guys in Cleveland get. After all, the last few years the staff has earned it.

20. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    The offense has done what?????? (Say it like Al Michaels during the "He did WHAT?" catch.)

[youtube:1uww9hu2]cV9y_sj7YuA[/youtube:1uww9hu2]

21. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    [youtube:1boqp5tv]sIcBPMUk9tM[/youtube:1boqp5tv] another one to show Tomlin coaches with fire and passion

22. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    i honestly don't understand how you see more "fire" from cowher than tomlin after watching that clip. why? because cowher was louder? because he spit? because he scowled?

do you realize bill cowher wasn't very well liked around team headquarters? he wasn't friendly with the people who worked in the organization. tomlin is quite the opposite. a cool cat.

has anyone here ever been in a room with mike tomlin where either gives a speech, works the room, or both? i have. i guarantee you the dude would when you over.

he's a players coach. players love him. our players have been extremely successful under his reign. embrace it.

23. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I tend to believe it....however to me this makes BA look worse than Tomlin IMO.....Since there were no half time adjustments....BA was the one deciding to continue doing what he was doing...did he really need someone to hold his hand and give him directions?

Had he said Tomlin ordered me to not make any half time adjustments...well then yes...that would make Mike look bad.

HACK

24. jsinohio

jsinohio Member

Oct 18, 2011

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

25. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's called empowerment. Tomlin empowers his coaches to DO THEIR JOBS. If you wanna compare Chuck Noll basically dealt with his coordinators in the same manner so to answer your question, no I don't have a problem with it.