1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diamond in the rough?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Feb 13, 2018.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Jordan Thomas, CB, Oklahoma

Everything I read about this guys says he could be one of the best CB's in the draft but is ranked so low, what am I missing. Anyone know anything or seen this kid, he is on my list as a 3rd if he is there.....thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Walter has him 6-ufa. Had a crappy year after a pretty good one in 2015. 27 tackles, 2 pass break ups, 1 int. Got burnt regularly and badly.

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I don't put much stock into rankings they are all over the place. What I did read on this kid was he had a ton of pass break ups, even one article I read was talking about how he could be the best DB in this class. I haven't watched him so I was curious as to the opinions others that have watched him have.

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Haven't seen him either. Just one guys opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Gotcha here is one guys opinion so they vary a lot:

School: Oklahoma Position: Cornerback Class: Senior Height: 6-0 Weight: 192 lbs Projected Draft Round: 2-5

Scouting Report:
    With seven interceptions the last two years, and plenty of other pass breakups, Thomas has become a leader of the Oklahoma secondary.

6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Did he miss some games in his senior year, because his production went way down from his previous two years????

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You want a diamond in the rough check out this kid. Michael Joseph of Dubuque a D3player that has a lot of skills.

On a different note, I am not opposed to one of these bigger corners playing FS for us. Tony Brown is a chisled specimen that easily could fit the bill. There are a few of these type of players that could work out in that capacity. Another could be Carlton davis. Mike Hughes from CFU could also be worth looking at. He is also a kick and punt returner. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks for the input will check them out. I came across an article on 247 sports about this kid, it was an older article but had a lot of good things to say about him and where he is projected could be a steal. In todays nfl you can't have enough cover guys.

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not sure was wondering if his 2016 season was so good people went away from him.....idk.

10. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    He's got a lot to learn, he played division lll ball and should have been a star at that level but wasnt, at 6-6 he has the length to be a good corner but he's skinny at 181 and needs to put on weight to play in the nfl, projected to be a possible 6-7 rounder but could go undrafted,since he is a big project to get to the NFL level, if a team signs him he will be a practice squad player for at least 2 years IMO..........

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He's 6- 5\8" tall and 186. 8 picks and 14 passes defended last year, with 1kick return and that went for 96 yds. and a TD. Won the cliff Harris award. He's a smothering defender in man coverage as well as zone. That is what is said about him. He's also rated to go in the 5th or early 6th round. Not sure who you are looking at ,at 6-6. Not sure I agree with the 2 year PS thingy. :cool:

12. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    He never had 8 picks last year, he had 8 in his career:

BOTTOM LINE
    It's easy to love Joseph's combination of size, speed and interceptions, but his transition from Division III to the NFL will likely have its fair share of bumps along the way. Joseph has been able to overwhelm the competition across from him with his length and athletic ability, but he's light by NFL standards and his man cover skills will need work before he's ready to handle NFL talent. Joseph has talent to work with, but he may have to learn from the sideline or even the practice squad early on.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

http://www.draftcountdown.com/player/michael-joseph/

no. he had 8 last year. which led all of college football. that was also in 10 games only. i was wrong about his pass break ups though, he had 20 and not 14 in total, 8 last year.

from what dane brugler of NFLdraft scout is saying his man skills and zone skills are smothering at the point of the catch, which tells me he's pretty adept at it. 20 PBU and 15 int. in 31 games is pretty good no matter what division. that's the epitome of a diamond in the rough. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  14. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    His draft report says he had 4 picks but if you think it was 8 thats fine,but dont forget he got them against division 3 quarterbacks and receivers....

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well i gave you draft countdowns report to look at. click on it and see for yourself. it says 8. NFL draft scout says the same thing. if you reread the report from nfl.com it also says 8 picks and 8 PBU's his SR. season.

of course thats who he did it against, thats where he played. 10 of those Dlll guys made active rosters last year. i'd say thats dominating at his level. he tackles too. he may not be a bad way to go with one of our later picks. giving bradley something to work with. mike hilton isn't huge and he does well. this kid is bigger than him. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    The thing here is you bring up D3 Qb's and Receivers, well if they are so bad shouldn't all DB's have 8 int???????:shrug:

EDIT

Let me also add we aren't talking first round material, we are talking later round guy here

18. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    OK Mac your right, but he may move up the draft scale after the combine, he is worth a look if we can draft him later....

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Depends how the draft rolls. If we have a later pick to spare I agree he may be worth that shot. As it sits now we have the luxury of letting him sit a year or so and learn. :cool:

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Man, NYSTEELER your all over the board. LOL. And that is alright, were

all here to talk football that we have a passion for.

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Lol, but I am not sure what you mean being all over? :smiley1:

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I was going back thru my notes and came across where I noted that Joseph didn't have a very good Senior Bowl game but all the things I read said he had a good week. FWIW

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Kylie Fitts from Utah had himself quite the day. Reminds me a bit of Anthony Chickillo but his athletic talent and upside are far greater than his.

Would not mind him being a Round Three BPA option. Fluid hips, great ankle flexibility and and smooth in the pass rushing drills.

Outside of some durability issues, he can be quite useful if given the chance.

24. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Another possible diamond:

Ferris State DE Zach Seiler, 6' 6", 290 lbs, 4.90, 79 tackles, 7 sacks, 21 TFL, 2 FF, 2 PBU, 1 blocked kick, played at a very small school but constantly drew double teams

• Like Like x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Where did you find his 40 time? I cannot find it myself.