1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dez Bryant?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Nov 8, 2019.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey NY.

Holton offers nothing at this point from a WR standpoint. He is fast I guess. So then send him out on some fly patterns to make teams accountable for this ability to "take the top off". Somewhat like Martavis. We have to give our opponents something to think about. It is about tapping into a player's strength to gain an advantage. Otherwise why is he here? STEELWINDS

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Mac.

Yes, I have said this several times this morning. I like our WR corp but it seems that they are all cut from the same mold....#2s. We need a true #1 to emerge. Maybe JuJu becomes that guy. Right now, as I figured way back yonder, he was the beneficiary of AB, and Ben. They did hook up nice in preseason for that one TD catch. Also, WHY ARE THE TEs NOT BEING UTILIZED MANAGEMENT? Vance is a monster and I like the Vannett pick up. If we can't, or are not, willing to air it out find the seams and utilize their strengths.

I envision these two being used like Heath was. Their speed is not blistering but they surly can find those down the middle seams to keep drives going or get drives started. How freakin' hard is it for this coaching staff to see these things? We are already a predominantly "Check-Down" "O". Go a step further with the 2-TE sets. The idea is to build off of that which is working and get Mason to a new level of production each game. Not the same ol' same ol' every freakin' game. STEELWINDS

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

You are right and the burning question is.........why is he here? There are guys sitting out there that can be signed and with use cutting Conreteif we have a need imo.

4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    You got it Hog.

I just stated the same thing to a degree about utilizing our TEs. Given that, Dez is built like a TE. Set him up with our two TEs and give the opposing Ds something different to look at. Our 2 TEs plus Dez lining up, plus Samuels in the backfield with his catching abilities, provides numerous options. Our coaching staff is unimaginative. Look, I am no NFL coach, none of us here are (well maybe Tomlin is lurking under an alias) but hey, we don't have to be predictable and stale. Open the playbook up. Mason seems like a sharp young man. I sure he can handle a few more peas on his plate. STEELWINDS

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey NY.

Yes, some are complaining about the way that Mason is being utilized or lack there of. Like I said, we are stale and predictable with our "O" play calling right now. The coaching staff needs to get their collective rear-ends into the "lab" and get the creative juices flowing. Let some slack up on Mason's leash and get funky.

I really loved when we went on that story-book run to win Super Bowl XL during Ben's 2nd year. Wow, the gadget plays that they put in during that 4-game playoff streak shocked me. I never saw that kind of play calling from a Steeler coaching staff. It worked. It gave teams something to think about. The name of the game is to gain an advantage over you opponent. We are too predictable right now on "O". It is okay to play it safe.... to a degree. Yet, isn't it Tomlin that is always yacking about "not living in our fears' or whatever garbage rhetoric he is always spewing. You know how it goes, talk is cheap, yak, yak, yak, and yak. Mason is a big boy he can handle it and I am pretty sure he would embrace it as would the team in general. STEELWINDS

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I mean, it never hurts to kick the tires but I seriously doubt he has anything useful left.

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah really need some of that 05 magic to get this offense going.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    There’s not any. Guys like Dez are just a name at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. Don’t get hung up on Dez, focus on how thin they are at the position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'd rather get Martavis

12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

Yes, Martavis definitely added another dimension to our "O". When he was here, I felt like we were offensively "loaded. Bell, Brown , Heath, Martavis, am I missing others? What was a strength, now seems like a complete overhaul, and I do not want to say weakness but is to a degree until this new look "O" (Mason included) can establish their own "Brand". STEELWINDS

13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason start throwing to the receivers they won't be a weakness. Hopefully he is getting more comfortable.

14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason would have to throw it early, Alien would outrun it.

15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

Yes, as some/many of us have stated Mason has got to find his "comfort level".... and soon if this season is going to mean playoffs. Yes, we are winning but with a very bland watered-down "O" scheme. Statistically, the protection has been good for him. However, he needs to relax in there, and has done a terrific job of hanging in the pocket. As long as we are winning we are OK. However, the formula that we are implementing has got to be more diverse and continue to expand. Not he same old stuff week in and week out. I for one have bashed the game plan for him up to this point but he has to also show that he can handle more responsibility in fairness to the coaching staff. STEELWINDS

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There are a lot of variables that go in to having a good
    offense. I have listed them before but apparently
    some people can't read.
    1.A good running game. See SF Will take lot's of pressure off a young QB
    MT comes out this week and says we are losing the LOS
    battles both offensively and defensively 27th in the league in rushing
    2. MR has played in possibly six real games Pre season Does not count.
    3 Our WR's have very limited PRO playing experience.
    They will learn how to separate, read defenses. We have 2 real good wr's for sure.
    4. MR is having problems reading(holding on to ball) defenses. He has played in 6 pro games.
    5. Our TE has been hurt(why Vannet was signed)
    6. There have been no running lanes (holes) for backs to run through.
    7. I am not sticking up for MR but he has to have HELP.He is young.
    8. OC has to up with game plans that let these young guys
    succeed. He has not. Why not run more two TE sets? These TE's
    are very capable of making plays, plus this will open up wr to make plays.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Or maybe with reply like this some don't care to....wtf?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sorry I offended you, sometimes the truth hurts,

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Nope don't hurt just kills me how you are so full of yourself. There was no need for that and if you didn't like my thread you could have passed right on by but no you had to throw an insult......Sorry I didn't follow each and every one of your posts to notice you talked about this.......

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This is what I see when I think of dez

C7619F98-FB00-4FFB-9BD3-E2D9AF285242.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I concur

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

Hard to blame him though!

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

@steelersrule6 you can disagree but the stats speak for themselves, Holton 6 targets 0 receptions 4 yds (and before you or anyone say how does he have 4 yds on 0 receptions IDK) as per:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2019.htm

All the guys I list has show they could at one time play in the NFL and I am sure could put up better numbers then the ones I just listed for Holton. Lets not add the fact that we could use a veteran presence no?