1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Devin Bush...Updates

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Oct 18, 2020.

1. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Except the Denver Broncos game. Fant beat him at least a couple of times and was responsible for 8 of their points scored against Bush in coverage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well I did say “folks”.

And yes, the antagonizing can cease, too.

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I didn't think it would ever happen for many reasons, but I don't think his height is one of those reasons.

4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I saw a video of the touchdown play broken down and Fant was actually Edmunds responsibility. I'll see if I can find it.

5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is the play where Butler came out a day or two later and said that someone (he wouldn’t say who) was supposed to blitz. It could have been that Hilton was supposed to blitz, Edmunds correctly took the out and Bush was responsible for Fant. But I guess if that’s the case, that would mean that Butler put a LB lined up on the inside on a fast TE, which would make his coverage of an out route almost impossible. But... Butler would never put a LB in that kind of situation, would he?

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Agree to disagree then.

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I saw that article too. I figured it was a counter-action to the first article. Damage control.

10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    So if everything else aligned and Tremaine became a Steeler you don't think Tomlin would play him inside (where he's missing an ILB) because he's 6'5"?

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:drinks:

Agree to disagree my friend.

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You answered my question and my assumption by not answering my question.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

I had already answered you though earlier. Tomlin really cannot fit Tremaine into the Defense even if he wanted to. For that matter, if Tomlin really wanted Tremaine, he had the opportunity to trade for him like he did Bush Jr. a year later.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I will defer to Blast, edit this post, and return to the topic. (I hadn't seen his repsonses when I posted initially.) I still think your statistical analysis of Bush's play was overly simplistic and flawed. You even helped make my case by talking about the defensive linemen blowing more plays up in the backfield.

Bush is a huge loss for that defense. There is a reason he played every single snap this season until he got hurt. No other member of the front seven has played more than 85 percent of the snaps on defense this season. Part of that is because Watt has battled through some minor injuries, but it was also because of the weakness of the depth behind him. Of course, I like what Spillane did against the Browns, but that was with a game already well in hand. Clearly, the Steelers didn't feel confident using him to spell Bush for even a few plays this season, though they give every other member of the front seven plays off.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Nice word choice! Caustic. I like it!

I just keep having flashbacks to what offenses did to the Steelers when they lost Shazier, attacking the outside and watching as the other inside linebackers failed to get there in pursuit. Bush hadn't reached Shazier's level yet, but he was trending in that direction and playing extremely well. I think this defense can weather the loss better than that one did, but I don't know how anybody can miss how well Bush was playing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You know, initially I was against making any kind of moves... but Ravens are still adding to the roster ... Ngakoue and Dez Bryant.

We could become out gunned if we don't keep pace with their arms race.

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I've been traveling and just watched the game last night on nfl rewind... This is not good to say the least. Bottom line is that you can't lose a starter (esp with 100% of the snaps or close to it) and not be affected negatively. I did think Spillane filled in admirably but the lack of depth and Spillane's production going forward is a big question mark.

After the draft when we didn't get another ILB, I read some articles on Haason Redick (who I liked coming out in the draft couple years ago) about his time in AZ and it has been unremarkable. Don't think that's the way to go. Jarrad Davis makes the most sense but I'm betting KC waits until after the Tenn game to see if Spillane can become Mike Hammer.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015