1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Devin Bush...Updates

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Oct 18, 2020.

1. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    On the depth chart, they have Spillane behind VW and Allen/Gilbert behind Bush. I am guessing they would like the guys behind Bush better for coverage. But I guess we will see. Really stinks.

2. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I had heard non contact injuries are way up. There was some talk about the need to switch to natural grass, but obviously that is not a panacea.

3. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    And like I said.....
    If you actually watched him play with the " big boys" he has instincts and great fundamentals.
    Raw, natural, instinctive talent.
    He will be fine, get this dude in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    If this is a accurate assessment then they're in trouble and I liked Matakevich...a lot more so than Fort or Chickillo who I couldnt stand as players.

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I can't see Colbert making any moves to bring in anyone ... I think we are just gonna roll with who we got.

6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    My assessment was based on comparing their college stats/college highlight videos and their 40 times.
    If Spillane is supposed to replace Devin Bush (with no other changes), there will be a huge drop-off.(imo)

7. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

A) I think you are right

B) I also thought that they would not go get anyone last year and they went out and grabbed Minkah Fitzpatrick

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Man this news ruins a perfect day. Bush hasn’t been great but still much better than anyone else we have.

9. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Tell you a guy I would go after..Eric Hendricks of the Vikes. They were shopping him earlier.. they just signed him to a monster deal last year, but moved money around where his base is only 1 mill for the year... then jumps next year... He is a little more SJW than I like, but the guy is a sideline to sideline tackling machine..... and excellent at coverage.

The Vikes used their 2nd to get the DE from the Jags... wonder if they would like to get a 2nd back.

HACK

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
  11. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Tomlin would say, "That would do a disservice to the teams we haven't faced yet. We have to stick to the plan. Next man up. Two in the hand is worth one broken bush. LET'S GO MEN!!"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    We had to learn something from the year Shazier went down, and the defense just folded after that.

I am more afraid this injury will push Williams to stay on the field more in passing downs.

13. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    You might be right... we should wait and see. I'm thinking if an opportunity presents it self then jump on it. When is the trade deadline? Time is not on our side....and who ever replaces Bush needs some coaching up.

14. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Well, Bush still needed coaching up. He wasn't necessarily making a bid for the Pro Bowl to this point.

15. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    If you are saying you think Bush was not playing well I disagree with that 100%. Our run defense and improvements over the middle on the short to medium zone's have been impressive to say the least. I could be wrong but I would suspect the # of big plays from opponents rb's and te's are down dramatically this year. I think Bush was playing great ball . If you are judging him on sacks and picks then I guess...but I don't think that's how you should be judging Bush as an ILB that's calling the plays and making the reads.

Will also add Bush is 2nd on the team in tackles... 2nd to Hilton.

16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Why not? We have the most cap probably ever and most of our draft picks next year. There's believing in Spillane who looked solid when he came in and being completely stupid. This team is suppose to be a contender. I'm getting somebody just in case.

17. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Not saying he was bad, because there was a slight improvement from last year where he looked completely lost at times. And if I'm not mistaken, he led the team in tackles in 2019. So being at or near the top in tackles so far this season is expected. But he has been quiet this season. And ILB for the Steelers should be having his name called during games, not just on the stat sheet after the lights go out. Granted, other than our front 4, our playmakers have been pretty quiet on defense so far, so calling him out alone might not quite be fair. But I had hoped that he would have made more progress since last season. I just don't see it.

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I get that you don't like statistics, but tackles are a big part of evaluating an inside linebacker. Bush was having his name called. He just wasn't making many splash plays. He certainly had work to do in pass coverage, but he was a big part of the Steelers playing run defense as well as any team in the league so far this season. Teams haven't been able to run outside at all, and having an inside linebacker who can pursue like him is a big part of that. It is exactly where teams attacked the Steelers with the run the year Shazier went down. None of the other inside linebackers were quick enough to get there on runs outside.

That isn't to say Bush had reached the same level as Shazier, at least not yet, or that the other 10 guys on defense aren't better than that unit. I do think you are underestimating just how good Bush has been this season at his primary job, which is stopping the run.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Fair points. And it's not that I don't like statistics. I actually do. I just don't like it when people are lazy with them and think that just because one person's number is higher than another's, that it is a foregone conclusion that one is better.

20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The lack of sideline to sideline speed in the middle of the defense has to be a concern. I wouldn't be surprised if the Titans run more than a few stretch plays to test the lack of speed in the middle of the defense. The Titans know some of Spillane's strengths and weaknesses.

Hopefully the Steelers can gain a lead to take some pressure off the run defense. Similar to what happened vs the Browns.

21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Okay, just to be fair to statistics, I did a little research on pro-football-reference.com. This season, Bush is neck and neck with the rest of the defense in tackles, other than Hilton. Last season, his tackles were roughly 1.5 times more than the rest of the defense, besides Edmunds. Last season, he averaged 4.5 solo tackles/game. This season, 3.2. Now, one would surmise, since he was such a big part of the Steelers playing run defense as well as any team in the league so far this season, that maybe his tackling numbers (of which you state are a big part of evaluating an ILB) should be up. They are not. 3 solo tackles a game. That's hardly a tackling machine.

22. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Really? They do? Did they tell you that? He was on their practice squad, got elevated and then waived/cut 20 days later. Yeah, they know all about him. :facepalm:

23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He'll be missed, no doubt about it.
    Everyone(used loosely) is looking for 'splash plays'. Without them, the player must be worthless.
    When Minkah wasn't getting a turnover and a score every other game the fans turned on him. He gets a pick six last week that was more based on a stupid throw than anything special he did, and he's a hero again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  25. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    1) Yes. He'll be missed.
    2) Not everyone is looking for splash plays or places tremendous importance on them.
    3) Without splash plays, a player is only worthless if they don't do the little things right, like tackle, cover, stay gap sound, don't bite on fakes, etc.
    4) Not everyone turned on Minkah when he wasn't getting a turnover and a score every other game.
    5) He made a good play on a bad decision/poorly thrown ball and he is not a hero again.

Did I miss anything?