1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Devin Bush...Updates

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Reddick coming out but havent kept up with him since he’s been in the pros. Have no idea how he is doing. Definitely athletic.

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You're right, but injuries are a part of the NFL. Adapt or die. Besides, if you call the defence a certain way and your guy doesn't get to the play like he should, is he really doing much?

The reality is QB's are picking on him this year. They're targeting him quite a bit more than last year and when they do, their completion percentage and QB rating is higher than it was compared to last year. Literally every stat, both basic and advanced stats, are worse than last year. A high pick like that, on a really good defence should not be struggling, but he is.

He has a ton of potential and I am not glad he got hurt, but at the same time, I'm not convinced it's a big loss.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't want to say this isn't a massive blow for us ... but in the passing league of 2020, as long as we find a guy who can run down the field with TE's I think we can at least have some success. I don't think it is a death knell for our season.

I think we have some sub packages that we can get by with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It’s a massive blow but not to the same caliber as losing shazier was to our defense in 2017

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I said I didn't think they would.. but if they moved on Jack right before the trade deadline.. he would only be owed about 7 mill the rest of the year.

I don't really worry about the money very often... that's just bookkeeping in the NFL.

I will like Riddick... but he would not really help this year much outside of depth.

My guess.. they go with status quo and go with who they got.

But with a Super Bowl in the target zone....I would be tempted to go all in.

HACK

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Definitely athletic but also definitely inconsistent. In addition, he is now an Outside linebacker in Vance Joseph's 3-4 Defense. Not sure if he could make the switch.

Jarrad Davis on the other hand looks tailor made for a 3-4 ILB. If anything, he had tremendous success there at the University of Florida. Hopefully if Colbert is looking for options, Davis can be one of them.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Sadly, worrying about the money is critical. Keep in mind that during the Colbert Era since 2000, Pittsburgh has historically been known to keep at least $5 Million in Cap Space on average. Right now, Pittsburgh has $9 Million in Cap Space. Spending that much on a player is not feasible.

That said, I do agree with you on getting an option. My vote would still be Jarrod Davis. I believe that he would be better suited to a 3-4 as he was in his University of Florida days. I am just not sure if Colbert or Tomlin will pull it off.

8. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I don’t know how it works, if someone is lost to the IR for the year, does their salary count against the cap or is that money freed up?

Ideal situation IMHO would be to trade for a good LB in a contract year, playing for a team going nowhere at all. Basically it would be a player rental.

9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hence the trade up for Bush.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Really? This whole thread?
    Have you not noticed Spillane's play today?
    He's pretty damn good, if y'all truly watchin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Well it was the Browns, but it is promising for sure.

I want to see what UG3 has too though.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

We all did. None of us are stating Spillane cannot play. Our question becomes how well can he continue to do so?!

I liked Spillane's debut as much as anyone. That said, he is still limited athletically. That is going to make Keith Butler's job difficult as much of his coverage schemes in the intermediate areas of the field are done by the ILBs.

Robert Spillane has the IQ and instincts to know where those landmarks will be. However, he lacks the athletic ability to go with it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Me and you both!! UG3 has mid 4.4 speed and is explosive as heck! Was a great Special Teamer until his injury last season. Hope we see more of him.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He's basically Tyler Matakevich.

15. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Istill dont know( rem/ recall) who this UG3 is yall keep mentioning ..lol

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Ulysses Gilbert III.

17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Feel really bad for Devin Bush IF he does indeed need season ending surgery. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

As far as making a trade, I thing they'll ride with what they have for a couple of games and get an assessment of what they really have. At minimum, I expect they'll sign an ILB'er to the PS for depth.

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Good but not great.

19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Isn't the trade deadline right around the corner or was it extended? Not saying I want a trade but somebody good is another story.

20. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Tuesday, November 3rd. So, a little over three weeks away.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He may have a hair more upside than dirty red in the athletic dept... Even if it's a smidge. A quarter step is halfway to half and a half step is pretty measurable hahahahaha

22. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    The overall important view to it (as you said earlier) is if he can handle the calling duties freeing up Vincenzo

23. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I think they go with Gilbert. Spillane was active due to special teams.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think some of you are focusing so much on what is happening in coverage that you don't realize just how big a part Bush has been in the run defense and the pass rush. The Steelers have been able to take away runs to the edge and funnel everything inside. Part of that is the play of Watt and Dupree, but it is also Bush's ability in pursuit. When they are able to limit teams to runs inside the tackles, Heyward, Tuitt, and Alualu have been able to disrupt the blocking schemes enough to limit those gains. Spillane seems to understand where he needs to be and he certainly tackled well today, but he can't come close to matching what Bush does in pursuit.

I'm not sure how big of a hit this is yet, but things certainly got a lot easier for Henry next week. The even bigger deal is going to be against the Ravens. That lack of speed at inside linebacker is really going to hurt in trying to stop Jackson. They could have had Bush shadowing him much of the day.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think Gilbert is so bad on special teams that they wouldn't have him active if he really was the top backup at inside linebacker. I'm sure they believe Spillane is the better option on defense right now.