1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Despite what we thought, our CB's are awful

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Nov 7, 2011.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    After the Patriots game, I like everyone else, thought our DB situation was fixed. I thought we could all of a sudden defend the pass. Then I saw them get beat repeatedly against the Ravens. I tried and tried to figure out how Flacco could consistently beat us, but Brady struggled. Then it occurred to me that the Pats don't have much in the way of WR's and the Ravens do.

Other than Welker, who is a speed slot receiver, they have no good WR's. Branch is mediocre at best, Ocho is long past his prime, and then they have their 2 TE's. It's easier to defend a TE than it is to defend a top WR, especially when they rely heavily on timing like Brady does. Boldin is a top WR though, and many experts think that Torey Smith could be a top 5 WR in the league one day. So when it comes to our CB's against good WR's, our CB's are going to lose most of the time, and that was made clear this past Sunday.

Hopefully the young guys can step up in the next couple years because our current batch can't. Even Ike is overrated I believe. He's good, but he's too inconsistent for my liking. It's almost as if he doesn't care sometimes and would rather hold than play hard.

2. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree that our CB's are not that good, but how much of last night had to do with scheme instead of player. We went back to our same ole d last night... the one that makes rookie QB's look like Brady.

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw quite a bit of man to man and I did see our CB's pressing them at the line, with terrible results. Gay got beat over and over, and Ike seemed like he wasn't interesting in playing hard. He looked like he would rather hold then play hard. Zone or man to man, I expect professional CB's to be able to make the odd stop.

4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Wow are you serious? NE has two top 5 TEs ...

BMan

5. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So you think ONE game fixes this years and previous years awful play of the DB's? Is there something discovered in the water from the Pointe that was just discovered?

As I have said, see www.brokenrecord.com, the DB's are awful. One game does not make or break them. It also may just be that the Pat's ARE that bad. They were still in the game at the end and they have the WORST defense in the league. Beating the defensless Pats is not much to crow about and I warned that many would think this signaled the end of the crappy DB play.

Oh well, hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. Same problem, same players, different year.

rutan

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Are Cb's are what they are, they are use to playing in a system.
    They have been brought in and taught Lebeau's sytem. You have to practice
    man to man coverage on a daily basis to get good at it. You also and this is the big one folks
    have to be extremely athletic and fast and have good technique. Ike had a bad game, but he is the only true man to man cb we have(Curtis Brown maybe) that is somewhat capable of covering a top notch WR.

It is also VERY important that you have pressure on the opposing QB, you could have
    Mel Blount out there covering and if you don't get pressure on the qb the good Qb's are
    going to complete passes.

If there were more Darelle Revis's out there we would get them.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    :this:

There was general weak play by the CBs against Balitmore. Gay has been playing the best football of his career this season, Keenan Lewis has stepped up to somewhere near his potential, and Taylor has been on fire - but on Sunday, Gay in particular just reverted to type.

Ravens-Steelers games are the exception, not the rule.

However, if our CBs put in a similar performance against Cinci, surely we have to see them giving Brown and Allen more playing time.