1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Deshaun Watson wanted Khan in Houston

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 13, 2021.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Look at me. My feelings are hurt because u didn't let me pick the Gm... boohoo I don't wanna play for ya because I didn't get my way. Booboo..... I say good riddance to him ... lol

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    No they wouldn’t. They would eat $21.8 million if he’s traded. Part of his dead money if he’s cut is guaranteed salary for 2021 and 2022, but if he’s traded instead of cut, the guaranteed salary goes to the new team’s cap. The $21.8 million is the prorated signing bonus which stays with the Texans.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    That is really not what is happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Just read that on PFN...that 50 mil plus figure was actually 67 mill quoted from Bob Labriola on Jan 14 asked and answered. Oh well, maybe Bob was wrong. I see where Bob got the figure...cut vs trade cap hit.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They lied to him. Don’t tell him he will be included in the process if you aren’t going to follow through.

Blame the dopey owner for making such a promise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Dopey is merely the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the McNair family! :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, 67 million if cut, but that includes 45.5 million in guaranteed salary obligations that goes with him to his new team.

8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    He was involved. Doesn't mean the owner has to do what he wants. That's not what being involved in the process means.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

Yet allowing a narcissist in Bill O Brien to leave a very healthy form of income for said owner in shambles is?! What type of Owner allows a very healthy source of income with the potential to grow even more combust on itself?! Never mind any of that though as that is not the focus here of the thread.

The fact that the McNair Family is LITERALLY PUSHING a TOP FIVE QB; an IMMENSE value to ANY NFL Team, right out the door is what is quite possibly the most BAFFLING development that has ever happened in the NFL in the past 20 Seasons; maybe even since the AFL/NFL Merger.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Patronizing isn’t being involved, learning about the hire through social media isn’t being involved.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The fact that a team is thinking of letting a (Supposed) top 5 Qb go....well...should raise some red flags....but what would we know about that....when AB left...TV talking heads said Steelers fault...3 teams later,and 10 million accusations later...TV Talking heads said ...maybe when Steelers let him go ...should've been the Red Flag

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it’s more indicative of the owner. Looks like they may be moving JJ also, which isn’t as big a deal as letting Watson go but just pointing out they may be cleaning house. Traded Hopkins last offseason. I’d hate this man if I was a Texans fan.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Making that franchise a laughing stock, Cincy fans finally get a break.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Did I miss Watson quitting on his team during the season, or are the situations just very different? Yeah, it is the latter.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I ....myself asked a question...because...I'm not on the Texans organization...so....I...really don't know what's going on behind closed doors. Just like ....I didn't in Pittsburgh...only hear say. I do believe. A team doesn't give up easy on a Top 5(supposed) Qb.

16. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    So the current word is Watson would like to go to Miami. Watson holds the cards as he has a no trade clause, but if I am Miami brass I use this to my advantage as well. No way I am trading that 3rd (plus other picks). I might offer their 2nd 1st rounder, 1st 2nd and Tua..maybe a 2rd or 4th next year to sweeten the pot.

That 3rd pick has a lot of power this year, you could trade out, still get a top 10-15 pick, add a 2nd and future picks as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    ESPN did an analysis of what a trade proposal from each team would have to look like to land Watson, here is what they can up with for the Steelers:

Steelers send: 24th overall pick in 2021, 2022 first-round pick, 2023 third-round pick, OLB T.J. Watt, FB Derek Watt

Texans send:
    2023 fifth-round pick, QB Deshaun Watson

My take: if this is what it would take I’m all for it.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You would trade our next two first round picks plus our best player?

Obviously getting a great QB would be a boon but (a) we would still be on the ropes to put together a good defense/o-line/RB and (b) we already have Haskins and I'd rather give that a chance to play out and use all that capital to build a supporting cast whether Haskins pans out.

I've a hard time getting behind mortgaging our future like that. Maybe we need to see if Kevin Costner wants to be our GM for the upcoming draft :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Never use first round picks on running backs, ever. RB are use them and lose them consumables. Build an oline, get a franchise QB, and use a stable of young running backs, cut them as they fail or become expensive.

Franchise quarterbacks are rare....so rare that most teams never have one, ever. Draft picks are gambles every time, that's why trading a 1st round pick for Fitz made so much sense. So if you are asking me if trading 2 x lottery picks plus the Steelers best defensive player for a player that is a year younger and at a more premium position I would say yes all day long. Watt is much easier to replace than a Franchise QB, that is a fact.

**** Haskins, really? Haskins can never be what Watson is.

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    That’s a too rich IMO. The price of a young, top tier edge guy (Mack) a couple of years ago was 2 first round picks. This ESPN deal basically says that Watson is worth 4 first round picks and the difference between a 3rd and a 5th. I like Watson a lot, but he’s not worth 4 first round picks.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I make this deal. Yes. The price tag is steep. But legit franchise quarterbacks do not grow on trees. It may take 20 years for the Steelers to land their next franchise QB. Think of how many QBs the Steelers burned through between Bradshaw and Ben. Losing Watt would suck, but it is a lot easier to replace a OLB than it is a franchise QB. Bring Bud back and pair him with Highsmith and the defense will still be formidable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    How do you build a team ....if you give all your draft picks away. Also have 2 cut others because of a Contract of Wilson's. 2 much . 2 much . 2 much. Let a team like Washington , Detroit, or Dallas do something team killing like that. IMO

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It would take 20 years 2 rebuild the team after giving all that away + having 2 cut more players 2 Keep Watson signed. You don't trade all those picks, and then Get Watson for the next 5 years for free.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    They were talking 3 #1s for Watson on NFL Radio today. Usually that means that's what they're hearing off the record. You could end up with a Jimmie Johnson-esque cache of picks if they play this right.

25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    It's a risk/reward situation. Trading for Watson would mean the Steelers get to skip the franchise QB search that could take decades.

The draft is a crapshoot. Keep in mind we drafted Claypool in the 2nd round just last season. Giving up a first for Fitzpatrick didn't hurt us. It benefited us by getting a far better player than what we possibly could have drafted.

Losing two first rounders for Watson is the same kind if deal. A franchise QB is worth it IMO.

Losing Watt would suck. But the defense would still be strong, and in a way, not paying Watt would free up money to keep other defensive pieces in place.

This isn't going to happen. But it's fun to think about.

• Agree Agree x 1