1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Deshaun Watson wanted Khan in Houston

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Roethlisberger was part of the problem there. He almost never got under center, which limited the running game. Watson wouldn't have that issue. Also, his mobility would have given defenses something else to account for, creating a little more room for the running backs. Watson also throws a much better deep ball at this point, something else that would have opened up room for the running game. It still wouldn't have been great, but it would have been better. Look at the damage Watson did with a depleted receiving corps this season. Now imagine what he could have done with Claypool, Johnson, Smith-Schuster, and Ebron. I'm not sure they win it all with the injuries on defense, but they would have had a real shot.

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    There's a difference between being better and winning it all. I agree the Steelers would have been better with Watson at QB. Considering the way things fell apart, I'm wondering if they wouldn't have been better with Rudolph starting some games in the second half of the season. The offense couldn't have been much worse.
    Either way, this collapse is on the coaching more than anything else. (imo)

3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I would sign Watson with an better offensive coach

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Looks good in black and gold. Things are rocky in Texas land.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If we landed Watson it would be pretty amazing. Still doesn't change we need a run game though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Not gonna happen, don't even waste your time talking about it.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

No one is really expecting this.

I can dream though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The more I read about the Watson situation in Houston, the more I want the Steelers to see what it would take to acquire him. His cap number would fit for 2021 by respectfully asking Ben if he wants to retire or be released. I am willing to move the #1 pick this year for Watson, plus additional picks, including another #1, and players not named TJ Watt or Minkah Fitzpatrick. Watson's ability to run RPOs would make an average offensive line more effective.

Yes, I realize it is a pipe dream, but it is more possible than people realize.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    I think he could make the O line still serviceable. Is this crazy talk? I mean are there rumors of Watson wanting to come to the Steelers? With th emodern rules of protecting the QB an dthe fact that you can hold...I can see Watson having Arena Football League type numbers throwing to the YAC guys here.

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I don't see it in the realm of possibility at all. And I'm still not sold on Watson being truly elite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL whaaaat???

Now I’m positive you just like being a contrarian :lolol:

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    DeShaun Watson is a Top Five QB without question. The fact that he led the NFL in Passing Yards with essentially a "Derrick Rose Corps" is nothing short of spectacular. Fully agree with @Blast Furnace that DeShaun would fix just about everything wrong with this Offense.

As I said before, give Matt Canada an Offensive Line to work with. Now, add DeShaun Watson. This Offense would potentially be Top 10 in every Offensive Category at worst!!! :eek:

• Like Like x 3
  13. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Its either spend draft picks for a new QB who can be an MVP, or play the chances at getting a franchise QB in the late first.

I'd rather trade for Watson.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Idk granted it's part of playing on a bad Houston team but he seems pretty mistake prone with his throws. We already have a QB who can do that. Unless I'm completely wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Where did you get that impression? The guy completed 70 percent of his passes this season with 33 touchdowns and only seven interceptions on a bad team. He carved the Steelers up for a half, and this was when Pittsburgh's defense was healthy and among the best in the league. I honestly don't know how anybody who considers themselves to be a football fan doesn't get how good Watson is.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Why oh why is it if certain QBs don't win. It's a bad team . If other QBs don't win they suck. 2 Questions 2 the ......Mr. Watson is all that and a bag of unicorns? How many more playoff games did Houston win with O'Brian, before Watson the Great & after Watson? 2. How many teams win the SB...with what his cap will become? Yet you want him? If you just want 2 go 2 the playoffs.....well we're doing that already. My guess is most teams are getting there with Qb friendly deals ,or Rookie contracts. Not going and get a Qb that's going 2 cost more. I could be wrong , but.....I believe last 20 years have shown I'm not.:shrug:

17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Actually, as of 2019, the top six highest paid NFL players of all-time (career earnings) are quarterbacks. They account for 14 championships over the past twenty years. Yes, I would trade for Watson.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Career earning.....not % of salary cap. Big....Big ...different...also I said last 20 year ....U gave since 2019. Well last year was KCs Qb...who was on a rookie deal. Year be4 wasn't it Brady?....who has always given a team(cap) friendly deal....So....when and where?

19. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    My point is it is the superstar QBs that win and are the ones being paid. Granted many of the championships were in their prime years, with the exception of Brady. Watson is in his prime and will succeed with a better organization.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude I'm not trying 2 argue, but what Qb....superstar?.....that has won a championship....that's taken that huge of a cap %?.....not overall earnings. I looked it up...I'm hard pressed 2 find one. Closes was P. Manning...at Broncos.....and his cap number didn't really hit until....well...they let him walk.....they've been paying 4 it since....and he's not been on the team.
    I get U like Watson, and U want him on the team ,but unless he could take us the SB....his very 1st year here....History shows...not a big chance after that....that's all I'm getting at...:thumbs_up:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    We all know Ben is going to come back unfortunately, so we can put any thoughts of Watson coming here to bed.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I get your point on how a high dollar QB contract can limit what you can spend on other quality players. However, Watson’s contract isn’t that bad compared to the most recent franchise QB contracts. First of all, he would only cost us 10.54 million vs. the 2021 cap, so we could replace Ben with him and have an 8 1/2 million cap savings in 2021. The cap hits would then jump to $35 million in 2022 and $37 million in 2023 before falling back to $32 million each year for 2024 and 2025. Not ideal, but manageable compared to the QB contracts that have cap hits into the $40 millions in 2021 and beyond. The 2022 and 2023 cap hits can be worked with by limited restructuring. The $32 million salaries in 2024 and 2025 provide room to work with when some other guys will be well over $40 million.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's what I'm worried about...is the...after the 1st year...that's all....Its almost like...a Team would be better off , getting a New Qb every four 2 five years.( I know sounds ridiculous).....or until You can find a Superstar that will give U a cap friendly deal....Maholmes kinda did with Kc...the way it's spread out...and Brady always did in NE

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The insanity is not what they could get for him, but that they would have to eat 50 plus million in dead money.