1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Deshaun Watson wanted Khan in Houston

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It will be him or Hunt when Colbert retires, you might as well come to terms with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

From hell’s heart I stab at thee, for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee

— the last words of Captain Ahab and Khan Noonien Singh

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    His cap hit is 15.9 per “over the cap”
    Then he’s 40 million + the next year and we gave away our draft picks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m not saying it can’t be done. I’m just saying it shouldn’t. I want a break from the 40 million a year guy to restock the roster. its all moot cause we all know it’s not happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I realize that. Khan's scouting ability I think is what scares me the most. He didn't have a football background when he started out. But I guess like any job you pick up skills. Let's hope he's been learning that side of it. Hunt I know nothing about.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I never thought they’d go for Minkah either and never would have thought Texans would move Hopkins.

It’s all doubtful but if they make him available, I would love for the Steelers to go all in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually, he started out as a scout IIRC, looked him up years ago when his name was being floated as GM.

8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I see. But as I just posted in another topic, Carolina isn't even giving him a 2nd interview. This guy either isn't doing enough to sell himself or teams do not like his qualifications.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    $5.4 million is bonus money already paid, and would be eaten by the Texans. In fact, the same applies for $5.4 million in 2022 and 2023. By my calculations using Spotrac's contract summary, his cap hit for us would be:
    2021: $10.54 million
    2022: $35 million
    2023: $37 million (of which $17 million is a roster bonus that can be converted into a signing bonus to reduce the 2023 cap hit)
    2024 and 2025: $32 million each

This is actually quite a bargain for a franchise QB by today's standards.

• Like Like x 3
  10. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    One thing to consider..Watson has a no trade clause... he not going anywhere he doesn't want to go.

So best compensation offered is only part of the equation.

We only got a 3rd for AB even when Buffalo offered more.

If Watson truly wants out. He is driving the bus. He can simply say I'm not showing up... here is the list of places I want to play. Get what you can get.

If you can't get Omar to Watson.. bring Watson to Omar.

That being said...i would not even think about it for more than 2 #1s

HACK

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just one Question. How many QBs ...that take that much of the Caps space percentage wise...have won a SB???

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If it could all work out I’d love it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The media (ESPN especially) is really trying to push this narrative i.e getting the player(s) involved in management/owner decisions. The NBA has given over to that with it's superstars and you see the situation the owners put themselves in, players making signing Max guaranteed contract, then demanding trades to a specific team with their friend(s), then disappearing for days.

Should a HC or GM listen to their star QB on his feelings and vision he wants the team to go...sure. Should they bow to that wish in deciding who will run their billion dollar business...pound sand.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    To be answered more thoroughly in coming years. As they young hot QB's are coming off the rookie deals,and the QB market escalates and takes even more cap room the answer to your question will become much more prominent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Of the remaining 8 QBs, 5 are vets with varying degrees of expensive contracts and 3 are on rookie contracts. We'll see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I see your point and agree, that is why I said the book will be more thorough in coming years. Some of those current contracts (while still huge) are not the tremendous amounts (and hits) the newer ones are commanding. After a rookie deal a team still might be able to defer some money off the Cap for a year or two, but that guaranteed money will come home to roost eventually. It will be interesting to see how teams can retain other O and D stars and still make a complete team. Not saying it cannot be done, but KC as an example will soon have to start paying more players. Can they make a dynasty with Mahomes alone, or will they just be very good. With him being very good can also lead to many SB's, but the % certainly drop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Hunts the opposite of Kahn. All scout, no money.

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with doing what it takes to get Watson, but i don't see Houston moving him. He was upset, but it will pass and Houston's management will sit down with him and smooth things over. He's too good for them to let him go

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I am not too sure about the Texans merely passing over this issue. Keep in mind that players like Duane Brown, DeAndre Hopkins and Texans all time great in Andre Johnson voiced their support for DeShaun to stand his ground in terms of what he believes is in the best interest of him. The McNair Family will continue to do what is in the best interest of the McNair Family; ruining generational talents.

For more on that, see J.J. Watt's Career.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

DeShaun himself can waive the no trade clause at his beckon call. It was reported he would do so if traded to Miami.

21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    That would actually make sense if they could agree. I do not see Miami giving up that 3rd pick, but Tua and their other first, and perhaps this years 3rd, or some trade of picks, next years 2nd for third, might get it done. Miami could get the generational T of the draft, or trade down and get a good T and wr to boot.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They’d be insane to move him. Would depend on how disgruntled Watson is and how much trouble he wants to cause.

Apparently they promised him to be involved with the process and then didn’t include him. Have no idea why they would promise that in the first place but I could see him being pretty pissed about being lied to.

Also, don’t forget JJ’s presser where he called the team out for quitting. If Watson feels the same way, he may want out if he feels the team is a dead end.

I doubt any of this comes to pass, though.

23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I may be simplifying the situation, Cal McNair became the President/Ceo after his father's death. I do not know when Obrien took complete charge of the team/player decisions, but the whole thing became crap show. Now in trying to right the ship, McNair makes this blunder...why would Watson trust him about anything. Whatever was said between the two is not known, but Watson is certainly seeing things different than what has happened.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It seems kind of far fetched that Watson wanted Khan, a guy that hasn't been a GM before.

25. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

My point was that puts Watson in the driver's seat

HACK