1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Deshaun Watson wanted Khan in Houston

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 13, 2021.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I would love to have Watson, but with the hole's we need to fill and lack of cap space I'd say its nuts to even consider.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If they had the opportunity to acquire a franchise quarterback, every other priority gets pushed into the background.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The Texans have a franchise QB and they suck. With Watson's salary and our cap situation we will have to find our next franchise QB through the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If we had Watson this year, they probably win the SB.

Steelers are much better than the Texans. I don’t know why people think we are in a complete rebuild. Our season fell apart for several reasons but probably the biggest was Bens level of play fell off a cliff after Dallas.

Letting Bud, JuJu and Conner go would help create some room, plus whoever else. I haven’t taken a close look at it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Yeah, you obviously haven't taken a close look at it. They have 35 guys under contract and are over the cap. They're losing a lot of players and will lose more. They're going to have to fill out a good portion of the roster with rookies and minimum salary vets.

Then you want to fit Deshaun's contract on the team, so he can then complain that his new team didn't give him enough talent?

I mean, if you want to tear down and rebuild around Deshaun, that's another story, but they aren't winning the Super Bowl with him next season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They have just under 20 which is still a lot.

Yeah you’re right, they shouldn’t explore all avenues to improve the team, they should just dismiss it out of hand and not even try.

I’m sure Mason will lead them to the SB.

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That's a nice thought, but I don't think it's realistic. Ben wasn't the Steelers biggest problem this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Totally disagree. Probably the biggest reason. He was terrible after Dallas and 4 picks Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm thinking having the NFL's dead-last rushing game was a bigger problem than Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    When your QB throws the ball over everyone’s head and can’t throw deep and turns the ball over, that’s pretty significant. No teams wins with poor QB play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    With respect, none of those guys are on the 2021 cap sheet as it is, and they are already $20m over with just 35 players signed. You can restructure guys and tinker with the numbers but this year is a different situation to other years where you could always manoeuvre the ever increasing cap.

The Steelers, along with every other team plan their roster construction on a multi year basis and were presumably expecting a substantial increase in the cap so that they could lock up some of these free agents and keep rolling. They couldn’t possibly have planned for a global pandemic torpedoing 30% + of league revenue.

Maybe the league figures something out but if they don’t the bottom half of the roster is going to be garbage next year. They need to nail the draft, find a few gems in free agency and hope they have zero injuries next year if they want to be genuinely competitive. Unlikely at best.

A point I made at the time, and I think it may be coming home to roost now, is that the trade up for Bush was too expensive back in 2019. They traded two valuable day two picks for him, two additional high pedigree cost controlled guys would be very very useful about now given all the team needs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Expecting Ben to throw the ball 40 times per game put the team in a no-win situation. If he was injured at some point he should have been sat down, which leads to what really was the Steelers biggest problem in 2020(and many other seasons).

13. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    They should explore it for five seconds, and then dismiss it out of hand when it means they'll have to, in addition to losing 4 OL, JuJu, Conner, Hilton, and Sutton, also probaby not be able to extend Watt and Minkah.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That would depend on which players those 2 picks yielded.

15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Thank you! I was about to make a similar point in a new thread. He's been decidedly average so far, and basically needs to be a Jack Lambert to justify what they gave up for him. If he's just another Timmons, it will have been a mistake, and he's not even there yet.

He needs to blow up next year and be a star, not just a guy who collects tackles four yards downfield.

16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Of course. They’ve done ok in rounds 2-3 in recent years though. It’s difficult to criticise, they are one of the best drafting teams in the league. I wouldn’t have done that trade for a linebacker however. Don’t get me wrong, he is a good player, it sucks that he got injured

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I thought it was a lot to give up at the time, albeit I understand why they did it. ILB was a massive need.

This years draft has to be about depth, trade back every chance you get. I know that’s not Colberts MO, but I don’t think they’ve ever been in this position before. I don’t think we as fans have ever faced a more unpredictable off season. I have no idea what they are going to do to get a credible roster together, but they need to make some serious moves.

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I was pointing out that it's always a gamble. The 2nd and 3rd round drafting has been better in recent years. There was a stretch where it wasn't very good at all.
    Hopefully Bush can come back 100%. He was coming along nicely I thought.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How would Watson know anything about Khan, who is the numbers guy here?

Hunt is the guy would would replace Colbert if that even happened.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  20. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Which brings me to my least favorite pick of the last five years - Terrell Edmunds. Darius Leonard was available. That would have obviated trading so much away for Bush. Jessie Bates was also there, which would have obviated the need to trade away so much for Minkah.

I mean, they drafted Marcus Allen a few rounds later, the quintessential box safety.

Hadn't thought about it, but you're right. We'll need to fill a lot of roster spots with cheap players, and rookies are the cheapest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Khaaaaaan!

Sorry been waiting to do that.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Those guys don’t help the cap at all since they’re all free agents.
    We can’t even afford to keep Roethlisberger at his current deal.
    Can’t trade away a bunch of first round draft picks and eat Watson’s Cap hit and field a championship caliber team next season.
    As good as Watson is The loss in talent of current players and losing future draft picks Woodforest succeed what watching could bring to the table.

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’ll just note that Watson’s cap hit for 2021 would only be $10 million. The $40 million cap numbers start coming into play in 2022. Something could probably be done to mitigate that for a couple of years, and the cap should be back in the $200 million range and climbing at that point. Franchise QBs cost money. Sometimes a team is fortunate enough to be able to a good team around a guy on his rookie contract for a couple of years, but they’ll eventually need to pay the piper.

But just think, for 2021 we could swap an aging, rarely healthy Ben for Watson and save $9 million vs. the cap.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Extend Watt, whatever. Obviously moves can be made and players are going to be cut.

The point is, franchise QB’s don’t become available very often in their prime.

Even if you had a couple lean years, you still know you have the most vital piece to build around. Hardest piece to find, too.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thank you. Freaking people and their can’t do attitude around here :lolol:

• Like Like x 1