1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Derek Carr

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by blountforcetrauma, Jun 25, 2017.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The NFL seems to be pushing the crap out of Derek Carr. There are constantly stories about him on NFL.COM. He seems like a really good dude and almost like a Tim Tebow with Skill or something but is he actually as good as they're making him out to be or do you think he's more hype as of right now than anything else? I'm honestly not sure but I'm more inclined to say that he isn't as good as they're making him out to be.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    He's a good young qb. However, he's never won a playoff game, he's not the most accurate guy in the world , and he's probably more a product of his supporting cast. He's got two solid wr, TE, a very good ol,and a decent running game. You can look at his stats and say not accurate he completed 60 something percent of his passes. Look a little deeper they throw a ton of screens. He's not slinging the ball downfield, leading his receivers etc.. Personally, he's overpaid. They're hoping he becomes an elite franchise qb, but I think he's more along the lines of a game manager.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah it seemed like every game I watched the Raiders in this past year they were all going down to the wire and most of his yards seem to come in crunch time. Which is fine but at the same time you'd like to see him come out and play consistently the whole game. I'm just not that impressed by him and honestly I don't want to see any Raider thrive if I'm being totally honest anyway.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This does not surprise me personally.

Keep in mind the current "Golden Era" of quarterbacks is coming to an end. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Ben Rothelisberger and Phillip Rivers will retire eventually. More importantly though, the media knows their hour is closing fast as well.

To ensure that the National Football League sustains success in addition to increase the install in new emerging markets, newer emerging faces will be needed; the next "Golden Era" being the case.

Andrew Luck (should his offensive line ever get it together), Jamies Winston, Macurs Mariota, Derek Carr, Cam Newton (same as Andrew above), and now presumably Dak Prescott. These guys represent the "Next Generation" of quarterbacks (really feels like I am reciting Cars 3 trailer titles here :facepalm::lolol:) and will need serious media coverage. Part of it relies heavily on themselves doing well enough to garner attention. The other half the NFL is banking on is social media; all the more reason this is the new generation.

That being said, I do not think that Derek Carr should be the front runner to spearhead this initative. Andrew Luck or even Cam Newton should be but consistency has been their issue, Marcus is just coming off of surgery to his leg and Jamies still has some growing to do. Derek is just the current favorite due to his consistency but that consisentcy is mainly due to a supporting cast as you stated.

Much like the seasons BFT, every winter will bloom a spring. As such, much like the current crop of great quarterbacks nearing their end, a new generation of quarterbacks will take the reigns.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    His last two seasons he has 60 TDs with 19 picks, yeah his stats say he is that good, and he can move in the pocket very well to go along with his accuracy, too bad he broke his leg or they would have won some playoff games, he well deserves what he got and has a better record than Luck who over the last two seasons only had 45 TDs with 25 picks albeit he missed games in 15 due to injury I think carr will only get better and will be a star at his position over his career....

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017