1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Depth chart....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 3, 2024.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Coach Tomlin released the teams depth chart for wk 1. Pretty much every every spot had no surprises for me except for 1.... in place of starting LG Isaac Seomalo, Tomlin will start Spencer Anderson as opposed to Mason McCormick, who will back up Daniels at RG....
    Not sure this is the best way to go... McCormick has a polish to his game that I didn't expect, and a mean streak that would be more than useful on the line.....
    Unfortunately, we are still stuck will Dan Moore at LT and BroJo at RT, but with Jones playing hurt and Fautanu hurting, it was the right choice..

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I am not surprised personally.

Id imagine that the competition between Anderson and McCormick was fair; Anderson winning out. That said, asking McCormick to potentially train to play Right Guard, something he seldom did at South Dakota State, for 2025 will be no different than what happened to Kevin Dotson. If anything, history is already repeating itself in the form of Broderick Jones but his elbow clearly isnt 100%; his preseason performance equally concerning.

I want nothing but for Anderson to succeed in his first game. For that matter, both McCormick and Anderson panning out will allow the team to jettison both Semualo and Daniels together. That said, I hope Mike Tomlin and the Coaching Staff will place both in winnable situations by then in 2025.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it may come down to anderson being seasoned at all the positions accross the line and mccorrmick learning all the interior spots out of necessity going forward. anderson has earned the next man up role. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Anderson over McCormick is the logical way to start

Anderson has NFL experience

McCormick will be given a fair chance if/when he is the better option

Just like Mason :smiley1: (for those that are still confused)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If anything, other than Zach Frazier and George Pickens, the best performing Offensive Player for the 2024 Steelers Preseason was Dan Moore Jr. Let me say that again; Dan Moore Jr outplayed every other player outside of two people on Offense for the entire 2024 Preseason. When did that ever happen for him?! Never.

A sign of things to come?! I hope; consistency from Dan Moore being the biggest factor. Given how consistent he has been all preseason, it is fair to state that Dan Moore may have finally found it in some capacity. How often can he be consistent?!

Time to find out.

• Like Like x 3
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Half the battle is to let troy and cook heal fully. Then we could have options.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

Once Fautanu is ready to go on the right Jones best be moved to the left side. Enough of Dan Less.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Except that Brodericks porous Preseason showcasing has given the team second thoughts. Mind you, I was also under the impression that the selection of Troy Fautanu would signal the beginning of the end for Dan Moore. Somehow... someway, he has still managed to not just hang on but defied the odds. It is insane how much investment the team has brought in as a whole to replace Dan Moore... only to realize that he simply refuses to call it quits.

That is the mark of a true warrior for warriors are those that endure. Mind you that Dan Moore has taken one helluva beating in his career thus far; last season being arguably his worst. Pittsburgh had no choice but to draft Broderick Jones to see to it that Dan Moore could be unseated once and for all. It hasn't happened yet. Broderick's elbow could potentially see to it that Dan Moore isn't being unseated in 2024 barring an injury to Moore himself. Why?!

Dan Moore has simply outperformed Broderick Jones at this point in time. Still time for Jones but Moore has his number currently. In addition, that aforementioned elbow ailment that Jones has isn't going to get better as the season progress. If you are injured heading into the season, you will be even more injured leaving it; doubly so at such a position.

Truth be told, it wouldn't surprise me if Troy Fautanu replaced Broderick Jones instead of Broderick Jones replacing Dan Moore. Would take a lot for that to happen but Jones' Preseason has left a lot to be desired. This coming Sunday will not be any easier with the likes of Matt Judon either.

May the best man win.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Steelers Depot's quote was "With Dan Moore in the lineup the Steelers might not be horrible". Boy what a vote of confidence.

11. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Not exactly flattering to the O-line, is it?

12. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have said many times. I don't understand tge hate for Dan Moore. Anyone can see he has progressed every year. Then this makes Him at the very worst a very great backup. Yet T. Edmunds got more love from Steelers fans, and He can't even keep a job.

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The issue is that how many snaps has Jones played on the left side? Not many. So i can't agree with Dan Less outplaying him. They can't put Dan Less on the right side. And they drafted Jones as you said due to the fact that Dan is a turnstile in pass protection. Although is serviceable in run blocking.

Being on the right side your first move would be with the right arm in which he has some sort of injury with that JJ Watt brace on.

Jones is a natural left tackle who was thrown into action last season because of Chuks mouthing off. And played pretty well.

So we shall see how this plays out. I am excited that I believe they found their franchise center in Frazier.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Not until Jones proves he gives the team a better chance to win

So far clearly he has not

You do not put someone at LT to see if they can get the QB killed

That is football 101

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    True. Just take a look at Dan Less's stats for pass protection last season. Not to good. And as I indicated earlier how many snaps has Jones played at left tackle? Not many...

So we shall see...

• Like Like x 1
  17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Progressed ??.......Really????
    You do know that Moore gave up 12 sacks and over 50 pressures last yr don't you?.
    What kind of progression is that

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah.....No....he gave up 8, and 4 of them were direct of a dumb Qb running right, or spinning right into his blocking lane.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Again, I agree.

Broderick is a natural Left Tackle. However, the team has been actively trying to replace Dan for the past two drafts. Broderick did indeed compete with the likes of Dan Moore in his rookie season but people tend to forget that Broderick had very limited starts at Left Tackle; 19 total. Compare that with Troy Fautanus 28 total. For Broderick, he didn't win out against Dan.

Fast forward to this Preseason?! Broderick battled Moore again. This time however, now add Troy Fautanu to the mix. This time around, Dan not only held off Broderick but also Troy. How so?! Troy wasn't able to move to Right Tackle because Broderick couldn't unseat Dan Moore from the Left Side.

In short?! Broderick has had two seasons to unseat Dan Moore. It hasn't happened yet. Even worse, his elbow is going to bother him all season. That isn't even the worst aspect of all of this. Troy Fautanu will get healthy sooner rather than later.

The question remains is "who taps out first" between Moore and Jones? One of them will remain while the other will get benched. Time will tell who it is.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Hoke spoke about Jones blocking looking "disinterested" this preseason. Jones hasn't earned anything thus far. But some fans want to reward Jones with the LT position.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I expect that it’ll be Fautanu and Jones at the tackle spots by the end of the season, health allowing. It’s unfortunate that the injury bug bit during preseason, meaning they couldn’t get their first choice line settled.

They are just trying to put a configuration that works on the field for now

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i like dan moore. as a 4th rounder the book on him coming into the league was he would take a few years to bring along but he had the highest ceiling of anybody drafted that year. it never said he should be thrust into the starting LT spot immediately. but he was. he keeps getting better.

the trouble i see is troy may be the best LT of the bunch but we don't have a RT. jones has gone the other way of improving so far. the injury may be part of it but not all of it that i have seen. if he's having this much trouble on the right side, throwing him at the other teams best pass rusher isn't going to make it better.

we shouldn't stymie troy if he's the best we have at LT because the others can't play right tackle. find a right tackle would be the better idea. maybe nester, maybe anderson, maybe cook.

i hope jones comes around but so far he has gone the other way. troy has really yet to be seen and when we did see him, it wasn't great either. i hate to say it but moore has been consistent on the left side. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

IT
    AIN'T
    GOOD

young guys hurt, new playbook, new OC, new QB

brace yourself

D needs to score a TD on Sunday

• Like Like x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

So Christian Darrisaw and Penei Sewell possessed less potential?! Dunno if I agree there. Darrisaw and Sewell were both scouted to be at least multi year All Pro level if everything worked out for both; doubly so in Darrisaws case. Thankfully for both, that happened to be the case.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they were ranked much higher to start with. many of them were not as high on moore to start off but for what he could become down the road. he was never supposed to be thrown in as a starter immediately. that A&M line was quite good as a unit. we have 2 of them. none were highly ranked as individuals. as a unit though they were one of the top in college football. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1