1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Depth and replacements

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Aug 1, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Who do you feel we could lose to injury or suspension and still be alright? Where do we have the greatest depth? Who are your biggest drop-offs and smallest drop offs from level of play from starter to backup?

For example

Ben goes down = season over.
    Brown goes down = offense greatly hampered. JUJU gets double teamed.
    if villy or gilbert go down I think okorafor will be ok with munchak. finney should be ok to replace foster.

TE= vance will be hurt. james is ok.

RB= bell is bell, but when he leaves or gets hurt, conner/ridley/samuels should hold the fort.

DE= depth is solid. Heyward/tuitt dropoff to Tyson is not super far, compared to lets say shazier to dirty red.

NT= lets see if frazier can do something because little dan cant.

linebackers= its a mess. starters and backups. TJ watt is great. Full starters they look weak, backups even worse.

CB= losing haden or burns would suck but I have faith in Sutton/allen. Losing Hilton would be a huge dropoff to the next cb.

Safety= I think we are good here. burnett probably gonna get hurt, edumunds/golden should see some playing time.

How do you guys feel with depth going forward just from your thoughts. obviously some of these guys haven't even played lol

2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    There isn't much depth behind Boswell and Berry. Could be an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    ah crap how can I forget. yeah those are huge losses

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Ben obviously but Landry has proven he is capable of filling in for Ben.

Tight End. Razor thin depth there.

Offensive Tackle unless Chuks is far ahead of the curve.

Outside Linebackers. Sans Chickillo, the rest do not have much starting experience.

Safety. Terrell will be ready eventually. Having a major injury to either Davis or Burnett would yield consequences for Edmunds' growth.

Kicker, Punter and Long Snapper. I am just lumping all three of these together because finding a good kicker is tough enough; a competent long snapper and punter no less. Finding a good overall Special Teams unit of Berry, Boswell and Kannday? Yikes.

These positions worry me the most. AB could go down and there is a massive drop but I believe we have way too much depth and talent there. Interior offensive line is much of the same. Defensive line I do not have too many concerns. Plently of Inside Backer depth and corner is arguably the most stacked position on defense depth wise.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Ben goes down = season over.
    Maybe not. Maybe Rudolph comes in and does what Ben did in 04'
    Brown goes down = offense greatly hampered. JUJU gets double teamed.
    Depends on how Washington does. So far JW is getting good reviews. If he is the real deal we could get by without AB if we had to. Id rather not have to.
    if villy or gilbert go down I think okorafor will be ok with munchak. finney should be ok to replace foster.
    I think Munchak could grab guys off the street and put a good line together. So we are good here.
    TE= vance will be hurt. james is ok.
    Solid at TE. Grimble can play too.
    RB= bell is bell, but when he leaves or gets hurt, conner/ridley/samuels should hold the fort.
    Bell is going to be a problem all year IMO. We better have a plan in place for when he flakes. Hopefully Conner is ready.
    DE= depth is solid. Heyward/tuitt dropoff to Tyson is not super far, compared to lets say shazier to dirty red.
    We are set a D-line. Good depth there.
    NT= lets see if frazier can do something because little dan cant.
    I think Hargrave has a big year. Underated IMO
    linebackers= its a mess. starters and backups. TJ watt is great. Full starters they look weak, backups even worse.
    Yep. Its a mess. But who cares we will just put 6 safteys in. Its all sub packages dont you know? :dancing:
    CB= losing haden or burns would suck but I have faith in Sutton/allen. Losing Hilton would be a huge dropoff to the next cb.
    Very worried about our CB depth. I want to see Sutton stay healthy and I have no faith in Allen as of yet. He hasnt done anything.
    Safety= I think we are good here. burnett probably gonna get hurt, edumunds/golden should see some playing time.
    I think we now have depth at saftey. We certainly have enough to pick from.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    No AB or Ben = done. Also, burnett is a lock to get hurt. 5 games this year he plays in tops

• Like Like x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    good write-ups guys.

Our special teams unit is pretty good, so yeah losing them would really suck.

losing Ben would mean landry would come in, which is fine because he can win. If Ben goes down for the year I want to see mason because our season would be over with landry starting all games. not hating on him lol

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    As bad as it seems when Shaun Suisham went down in that Hall of Fame pre-season game. Kicking went to hell in an hand basket, until the Wizard of Boz came around.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm a little more optimistic about our linebacker core. Combined they may not be the best combo we have ever had, but I don't think they are as dire as some. I'm in the minority in my belief that Bud is better than he gets credit for. What I'm hoping is that we have the kind of DB's that we can cover some of the LB's shortcomings. I am from Missouri (show me state) when it comes to our Safeties. I'm praying they surprise me in a good way! :beg:

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I liked our '01 lineup... Porter, Holmes, Bell, Gildon. Very underrated group of LBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What if Tomlin goes down wandering onto the field? Who is his depth? Munchak? :popcorn:

12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Munchak would be the most logical choice given his experience at HC.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I know....I was just trying to rattle the cages a little :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Not worried at all, we have DHB and he could play any position we need at a high level.:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    DE is the biggest worry. Cost us most of the games we lost last year and Tyson is the depth? One guy?

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    LT Walton is a decent backup DE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We actually have several in camp this year.:cool:

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Outside Linebacker may be a position of concern? And Now OL.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    A concern but...... We have a lot of young guys that may be able to help. Glad we have preseason for that part of the equation.:cool:

20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup there’s tj and everyone else lol

• Like Like x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    But other than Chick, can the others play at the big boy level? We shall see I hope so.

22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    One guy: Ben. If he goes down for the year it's over.

OLB is thin behind Watt and Dud, I mean Bud. Chickillo can step in and will be used in certain packages.

O Line is a bit thin with Fosters injury but I have little worries with Munch coaching this unit unlike who's coaching the OLB'ers

I personally don't have an issue with Hargrave as some do. He gets a minority of snaps due to the hybrid Defense. The days of Big Snack and Steed are over.