1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

demarcus walker

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Mar 29, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    would this guy fit? put on a pretty good show at his pro day. would he work as an OLB in our hybrid D opposite bud dupree? he ran a 4.76 40. not our typical OLB but in this hybrid D would be a stud. is he in the conversation of the out of the box thinking as our D evolves? :cool:

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think he ends up as a 4/3 DE

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He could be the "elephant " in the room.....and if we can get him to shed a few lbs he could work in our system....2nd round or later though

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I had some interest in him for us but wanted to see his weight as well. And I agree, he would be good value in the second or later but probably for another team. 6'4" 280 at the combine so it doesn't appear he is trying to lose weight to get into that 3-4 OLB category. I don't see the fit for us here, but others may.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm thinking as a DE or OLB whatever they want to call him when we use the two down lineman paired with bud rushing on the outside. they said at his pro day he showed a lot of quickness. we could run some of that 4 man front with him.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He would take Cam Heywards position who we
    just over paid.

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Overpaid? No way.

Heyward is a top 5 3-4 DE in the league.

Tough against the run and can get to the QB. That's not all that common.

Is it a big contract? Of course. But that's the going rate for his position and production.

Statistically he could be better than one of my all time favorites in Aaron Smith. Although no duo will ever shut down the run like Smith and Hampton.

Give the trio of Heyward, Hargrave and Tuitt a year together, healthy, and I think you will see an excellent D-line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't see him fitting, personally. I think his best hope would be to bulk up and play 5 tech.

He'd be lucky to carry Cam's...shoulder pads.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I appreciate your love for his dad but dont understand why you feel the need to disparage his son all the time.

Cam is one of the best in the league, to say any different just makes it sound like you have an ax to grind.

10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    We made it to the AFC Championship game with out his services for most of the year.
    He is mediocre at best, I like Cam very good leader no Superstar though.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he led us in sacks in 2015. :cool:

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    And lost the AFCC game in large part because we couldn't generate enough inside pressure. I don't think there's any measure by which someone knowledgeable about football could deem Cam "mediocre at best."

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

15. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Sorry friends, he is no superstar, good locker room guy though,
    usually dependable.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    The Lone Ranger rides again LOL.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    teamed with tuitt and now hargraves, they are really putting it together and should continue to. we could have the best front in the league with him back. cam is quite good and we will see a huge difference with him back. :cool:

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    3/4 DE aren't supposed to be superstars :shrug:, one year Cam had 7.5 sacks that's good for a DE in the Steelers system.

20. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you serious? Yoy and double yoy. LOL Everybody that plays in the NFL
    should aspire to be a superstar. In recent years the Steelers have (finally)
    let there DL go up field and attack, Which is required in a pass happy league.
    Lets see him get to the 10 sack range, then we will start talking.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he had 7.5. 7. and 3 already last year when he got hurt. he's been tied for 7th and tied for 6th on the defense in tackles in 2015 and 2016. pretty impressive with us having 4 LB'ers and 2 safeties that are supposed to be making a lot of tackles. tuitt has gotten to cam ability too lately. we are quite blessed to have two DE's of their caliber. they are still getting better too. now we have a guy in the middle to help even more. he's quite good ward. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The DEs are never going to be superstars in the 3/4, Cam does his job leading the team in sacks for 2 years. The Steelers think enough of him to give Cam that big contract. Not every player in the NFL aspires to be a superstar either, a longsnapper or a fullback aren't trying to be superstars :shrug:.

23. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    They most certainly are at their respective position. Or they won't be employed too long.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Just for kicks, let's compares stats with another 3-4 DE that I think we'd all agree was truly great. Cam and Aaron Smith both took over as starters in their 3rd seasons in the league. Here are key stats for their first 3 seasons as starters:
    Smith: 48 games, 143 tackles, 15.5 sacks, 9 passes defended
    Cam: 48 games, 166 tackles, 19.5 sacks, 13 passes defensed

I'm not saying that Cam has earned the right - yet - to be considered as great as Aaron Smith. However he is very good player, and is on his way to being considered a great player. I'm truly puzzled at how you can't see that.

25. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    As I had mentioned earlier, Aaron Smith is the gold standard as far as Steeler 3-4 DEs go and was one of the most underrated players at his position league wide.

While I disagree with Ward on some of his criticisms of Heyward, I know where he is coming from calling Cam not a superstar. Neither was Smith really. The biggest difference is Aaron Smith topped out at what, 5 million per year?

Heyward makes 10 million per year? I understand it's market value and 10 years later, but I don't think anyone would agree that Heyward is twice the player that Smith was.

I for one am excited at what our D-line could become. We have 3 guys who like to get up the field and get after the QB. They just need to shore up their run D. That was one benefit of Hampton/Smith, never had to worry about that aspect.

10 million is alot per year. Is that a number no longer reserved for the superstar? The market stated we had to give that contract to Cam. His play can back it up. If he can stay healthy, shut down the run and continue his sack numbers at 8-10 per year I think it's money well spent.

Heyward may never be JJ Watt, but I think he is very comparable to Muhammed Wilkerson, so let's just be thankful we aren't paying 17 million per year.

• Agree Agree x 1