1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Delaying cutting Troy not doing anyone any favors

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lloyddestroy, Mar 3, 2015.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I just read it's getting weird between troy and the steelers right now. this is sad, but the nature of the business. it's not the first time they have been through this.:cool:

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Bffffft who wants facts when they interfere with our perfectly fashioned fantasy.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Id put Troy on the same level as Hines, we all know how that went. Hope Troy keeps that in mind, hate to see it get messy.

:lolol:

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yea, I don't want it to get ugly either. to much class on both sides of it.:cool:

5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm on my smart phone so I can't link to the article but someone Google DK on Pittsburgh Sports Friday insider. Most honest well written piece I've read on this topic and sheds some light on perhaps where Steelerdad was working from.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    This?

"There also were times it was clear that he was equally less than enthused over Mike Tomlin’s handling of same. Polamalu clearly felt Tomlin wasn’t doing enough on his own to protect that brand. That’s why he formed a much, much stronger kinship with Dick LeBeau as time wore on."

Hogwash. Now, we can roll our sleeves up and criticize Steelers media... :smiley1:

7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I will allow the gentleman from Pennsylvania a 40 sec rebuttal followed by question.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Distinguished. :)

9. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    This is on Troy. He can't play anymore and must be in denial over it. How can you fault the team, for not wanting to employ and pay a guy who can no longer do the job. The team is bigger than ANYONE. Troy has been worshiped for so long his judgement is warped; same thing happened to LeBeau, it would appear. We are better off to move on and I am amped that the Rooneys had the stones to do what was needed for the sake of the team.

10. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Here was the article I referenced above. To me had Bouchette written something similar I would have accepted it no questions or reservations but it isn't sensational so I don't think it will get the clicks that a story about a possible standoff between Troy and management gets. Any way read and decide for yourself.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/03/06/friday-insider-troy-will-depart-with-pride/

I did find some of hte other topics in it interesting as well since I was majorly upset by the Pens trading Despres but not being in Pitt I wasn't aware he was having off the ice troubles that they were getting fed up with. That makes more sense now.

11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't fault Troy, I don't fault the Steelers.

Troy wants to play, he still thinks he can. Athletes are often the last ones to know they are done. But, his days of several million dollar per yr paydays are nearly over. I can't hate the guy for trying to get one more. More power to him.

the Steelers don't think he can play anymore. They're probably right. They want to save cap space and move on. More power to them.

It would be nice if Troy retired and there was a teary eyed presser where everyone praised him and everyone felt good that he tired a Steeler. But if he doesn't, so what? If he plays for someone for a yr, he doesnt taint his legacy in anyway in my mind. If he gets cut in camp, he at least knows he gave it a shot and won't have to wonder about what might have been.

Troy and the team can part amicably, it's not personal, it's strictly business.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You inject waaaaay to much personal feelings into your posts :lolol:

He's an athlete that may want to keep playing, nothing more, there are boatloads of athletes that have been through it.

13. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    The question is ... is this Hines post 2010, or Hines post 2011? Because we let Hines hang around for the 2011 season, and he clearly had no business on the field, let alone starting.

14. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    I refute that remark. Troy HAS been given hero worship and it has clouded his vision, making him think he is still this phenomenal player, even though everyone else can see he is not. The team knows this, and are reacting according to this REALITY. Troy is functioning in the realms of fantasy. The team is right, he is wrong. End of story.

15. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    And maybe the team learned from the above mistake. What's wrong with learning and not repeating your mistakes?

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Has nothing to do with "hero worship" and everything to do with competitiveness. Athletes have a drive that some people cant comprehend.

17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I would add the according to the article I linked to he clearly knows that he is not the Troy of old and his attempts to change weren't successful. I think we saw this play out this season. He isn't living in a fantasy that he can be the 20 yr old kid flying around with reckless abandon, he is struggling with can he contribute in a lesser role and be a mentor like Faneca or Farrior. Can he turn over the reins to someone who will care about the Steeler way as he does.

18. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    So they possess a level of competitiveness. Do they also possess working brains?

19. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    yes they do, but I know 45 yr old former players who think they can still play. its a mentality that I cant comprehend. you have to be special to get to that level and stay there. its almost like you have to say, nobody will ever be better than I am.

when its over it hits hard. I mean depression. if a guy doesn't have something fulfilling lined up, it can get ugly.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Troy doesn't retire then they will release him simple as that, his cap number is 8 million or so for a guy that had no ints or forced fumbles. If Troy wants to play another year then he can to the Titans with LeBeau, or Steelers West with the Arizona Cardinals. It's time to hang up the cleats he's not a effective player anymore.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Good grief dude.

23. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Doesn't SteelByDesign write for that site? He was hired by a Steelers site I know for sure but can't remember which one it was.

24. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ala Mike Webster.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Doubt he knows who SBD is, hasn't posted here in a long time, that I have seen. He got a gig with somebody, don't recall where. I see his handle posting questions in the Bouchette/Dulac/Ray chats from time to time.