1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Delaying cutting Troy not doing anyone any favors

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lloyddestroy, Mar 3, 2015.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :lolol: Iron-clad stuff there.

Normally this is where I'd make a sarcastic remark about how bad your reading comprehension is, but now I'm thinking I should just keep things as straight-forward as possible so you don't get further confused.

You listed some good players and bad players, but I was under the impression you were trying to draw a comparison to Troy, saying that he was a formerly good player that they kept for too long. My point is that logic applies to not many, and maybe none of the guys on your list, for a variety of reasons. I gave a perfect example in my last post, and it clearly went way, way over your head. So I'm not going to bother with more examples.

2. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    How can you say that?

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I believe he was...poking fun at others.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually, I did :wave:

I'm hoping he doesn't go that route, make them cut him just to find out no one else wants to pay him either and then retire anyway.

5. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    I see you are struggling to grasp the point.....the theme was that the Steelers often keep players who should not be kept on the roster, regardless of if they USED to be good, or never were. I supplied a list of such players, and, when given even the specifics, to try to help you out in grasping it, you still avoid the specifics and take some ad hominem direction. Since you can't even address each, specific example, I guess you are lost in the woods, and will repeat vague assertions while never addressing the specific examples. Stay in school; that is my advice. And, if offered, take a few courses in logic.

So, in your bizarro world, was Kordell worth being the starting QB all those years? Etc. etc. Rooneys keep players who should not be kept so as to avoid admitting mistakes. That is the truth, and it's obvious to those with common sense and working eyeballs.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  7. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Interesting point, that no one else brought up. What are the differing #s on cap space, for prior June 1 vs. after?

8. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    From overthecap.com it says:

Cut prior to June 1 - Cap Savings = $3.75M
    Cut after June 1 - Cap Savings = $6M

9. Frick32

Frick32 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

You are the one that is struggling to grasp your own point...you said that you could provide examples of them keeping players "prior" to them stinking.

Then you list examples on players that were never good to begin with...that is not "prior" to them stinking

10. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    So in your world, the team's ALL TIME sack leader was never any good? Interesting perspective, but not altogether coherent.

11. Frick32

Frick32 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

Again what HugeSnack said, you listed some good player and bad players to compile a list to make it look like the Steelers keep players long past their prime.

Yes, they have kept a few players longer than the should have, but what team hasn't...and more importantly...did they really have a better option. If they don't keep Troy are you 100% sure that Thomas will be better. Who was on the bench when Gildon was "titty-fighting" was that guy better then Gildon.

I think we want to compare these guys' contribution when they were DPOY instead of a good football players. I think Troy can still be a good football player, but he is in no way at the same level he was a few years ago. I think Thomas might be a good football player but he hasn't proven anything and he could be worse than a 34 year old Troy!

12. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

I'm not sure you're making a good argument. In some cases, these players were on the roster because there was no alternative. These weren't "aging vets" the Steelers kept too long. Stewart certainly wasn't an aging vet. You say Stewart sucked his last "few seasons" but what do you mean by "few"? He was a QB for only a "few" seasons. He was let go as soon as Maddox established himself.

Likewise, Maddox was around only to backup Ben.

Simmons wasn't an aging vet kept too long. Not at all.

Kirkland left via FA, and the Steelers' decision not to sign him was a good one.

Miller? I don't understand how his situation was similar to Troy's, either.

Chad Scott was serviceable and fairly cheap. He went on to the Pats and played well.

I think you need a better list.

13. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015

You just need a more coherent understanding of what the list even was. But since I am dealing with someone who thinks 7 = a few, I won't hold out.

14. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Regardless on how anyone on our board feels about whether Troy should retire or not I believe we can all agree he is a true Steeler like Lambert, Joe Green and Mel Blount. I am on the nostalgia side and I want to see Troy playing into his 40's (Kidding), but I am sad that he has reached the end of his career in the Burgh.

So thank you 43, thanks for the heart and soul you poured into our team. Thanks for the championships, the amazing pics, sacks and play. You are definitely one of the greatest ever and that's saying a lot with our history.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Your list is ridiculous.

16. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    something just scrolled across screen on sec network. I missed all but very end. it was about troy. anyone know what it was about?

17. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    If I remember correctly Kordell only started at QB for 4 of those 7 years. He made the Pro Bowl once as well. Kordell wasn't really that bad and upon stinking early in 02 Cowher pulled him.

Maddox played only 2 seasons. They obviously did not think he was the future because they drafted Ben - sure they were going to play Maddox a full season until he got hurt, but the plan wasn't to keep Maddox long term.

Poor Jim Miller really never got a chance anyway - I think he started all of 1 or 2 games for the Steelers. I actually wanted the guy to get a chance but with all the furor for Kordell it wasn't going to happen. He went onto the Bears and I think he actually was their QB for most of a season where they made the playoffs.

As far as the others I too really only see Kirkland as a decent comparison to Troy. Some others you could have pulled would have been Farrior and Hampton - those are two recent examples of guys we probably held onto too long.

18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    So, you say a bunch of nonsense, I quickly destroy it, and you say, "Well you need to make a long and detailed list proving me wrong." Isn't this the definition of a troll? Being stupid on purpose to upset and take time away from others? I don't think you're really this stupid, so the only alternative is it's intentional.

Ironically, if your argument was just a little less stupid, I would have gladly picked it apart, one by one. I think I have a reputation around here for being anal and long-winded. But some things are just too much, I guess. Now go ahead and tell me I can't compete with your superior argument again. :lolol:

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  21. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Before anyone starts to really get their claws out, let's keep things civilized. The tone on this board is friendly about 98% of the time. Let's keep it that way. :smiley1:

22. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    :popcorn:

23. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    This kitten's got claws!

24. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah, lets drink some beer and watchh some titty fights! :drinks:

25. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Agreed. Getting rid of Troy is like having that old faithful dog that you know that its time is coming. You know you're going to have to make that trip one day soon and it hurts and causes you great stress. You hope like hell that he just goes peacefully in his sleep so you can avoid the inevitable.