1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Deja Vu of BA ball.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 23, 2017.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I fear that this single play is going to haunt me for eternity. I mean the defensive game plan altogether was atrocious trying to play zone against the best zone QB in the league.

What's more disturbing to me though is we went directly to the Bruce Arians playbook when we just started to control the running game. Bell was picking up yards easily running the ball. They couldn't stop him at the earliest part of the game. It left us with a 3rd and 1 and low and behold we chuck it 30 yards down field to the worst receiver on our team. It was a perfect pass, maybe even a perfect play call if Coates doesn't alligator arm it. Should have been a TD but instead we punt.

I'm not sure if Haley called it, Ben resorted back his old days calling it or Tomlin thought it would be worth doing, but it didn't work and there was a low percentage of it being successful anyways.

The game turned on that single play IMO.

Sure there was many other squandered opportunities but that was a horrible decision. 2nd and 1 I don't have a problem with it but 3rd and 1 just get the first down when Bell is easily picking up 4.5 yards a carry.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It was crucial to score on the goal line too. Ben needed to man up and QB sneak it.

I heard its been years since we QB sneaked because Ben hurt himself one time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    My exact thoughts as well, on the first two posts.

4. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I actually would have liked to have Arians. At least then we would throw on 1st down instead of always being in 2nd and 8. The pats knew exactly what we were doing. Stuffed run on first then played pass on 2nd and 3rd.

Does not take long to figure that out

5. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    It looked to me that Ben changed the play, as he was moving around and talking pre snap, if I recall.

IMO I don't think the failure cost them much. If they score on the first run, Pats have the ball with 2 minutes and 2 time outs. I saw no reason to think they wouldn't score, and they actually go into the half with even more momentum.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Are you suggesting that we rarely sneak it because Ben doesn't want to get hurt? It sounds like that's what you're saying.

7. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Lately, Coates has brought me some Limas Sweed flashbacks... which should be read as: Do not look at him on 3rd down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Coates hasn't been the same since he broke those fingers. The 30 yard pass play that I'm talking about was a perfect pass and he totally alligator armed it like he didn't want to hurt those fingers once again.

9. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    YES!

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :th jawdrop2:

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben was asked point blank in his presser about the sneak. He said he had no idea why they didn't call that play. Tomlin was asked point blank in his presser if he was against it from a "philosophical" standpoint point and he flat out said that he is not.

12. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I call BS on Ben. Ben undoubtedly has the option to check into a QB sneak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I always get nervous when I see Ben change plays.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He could've checked into it... Haley should've called it! Neither did their job in my opinion on that play!

15. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Honestly, it would've been all for not. KB refused or Tomlin refused to play man up D and the zone would've kept the opposition on the up n up amyhow