1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defensive Lineup Change

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers5859, Oct 17, 2016.

1. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Since the OLBs are so inept, why not just put one of them out there? I would go with Tuitt, Hargraves, McCullers and Harrison (you can sub Harrison with Chick, Moats or Jones). And when Heyward comes back you can replace McCullers or Hargraves.

But the point is I would have three linemen in the game at all times.

Linebackers Timmons and Shazier (when he's able)

Secondary Cockrell, Burns, Gay, Golden and Mitchell (these can be interchange as you see fit)

2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    No, why start Deebo and sub chick when it seems chick is outplaying Deebo

Also you're staring all DT along the line .... No speed or quickness.

Cajun

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Pittsburgh already tried a 4-3 fomration with the attempt to have Chickillo and Jones playing 4-3 DE in their last preseason game of 2016 against the Panthers.

Besides, neither posses the twitch necessary to play a 4-3 defensive end anyway.

4. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    That's true. But our OLBs are not getting it done and our best pass rushers seems to be our DLmen. I just don't think Chick can hold the edge. But I see your reasoning.

5. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    That's why playing mostly DLmen should at least stop the bleeding during the run. The OLBs aren't getting to the quarterback anyway so why not try your best group which seem like the DTs and DEs. Just a thought.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Stopping the run has a lot more to do with gap control and maintaining the POA than personnel. Outside of Stephon and Javon.. no one else did their assignment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

Dupree....

Cajun

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Dupree is an all out explosive player; force player if you will. He uses his brute force and explosive power to overwhelm his opponents, all the more reason it is frustrating to not see him on the field given his hopeful improvement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Harrison played the worst game I have seen from him in awhile sunday I thought. of course nobody played good so he might still have been the best out there

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    While defending/stopping the run can and does fall on all 11 defensive players it primarily falls on the LBs and of that group it falls to the ILB. Their job is to play the run and react to the pass. DBs are to play the pass and react to the run. I'm not taking anything away from the DL, but without Heyward the job falls to Timmons and Vince even more and both were more than once out of position.

Dirty Red came in and basically shut down the run and stopped he bleeding, for the most part, not because of his athletic ability but thru his football smarts .... Has he ever had a missed tackle ?

Cajun

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

It does fall on them for sure. In the same token though, while it is easy to single out a group of players, as you know Cajun, football is the ultiamte team sport.

Everyone has to complete their assignments and play within the fundementals. Yes, losing Cameron Heyward and Ryan Shazier is massive.. but this does not excuse these players from not executing their assignments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Chick is not the answer yet he was the only one to pressure/hit the NFLs most sacked QB. Our OLB can't sniff the QB and Butts has zero new blitz packages created to pressure. This puts added pressure on the DBs to maintain coverage .... A couple speedy DEs to help Dupree would seriously transform this defense!!!

Cajun

13. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Absolutely agree!!!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1