1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defensive Line Snap Counts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by GB_Steel, Dec 8, 2015.

1. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    The Indy game is the first game all year where Cam Heyward and Stephon Tuitt were given significant rest during the game. I think we saw the result of that in the 4th quarter. IMO, we need to keep this up for the rest of the year so our pass rush is fierce in the 4th quarter of every remaining game.

Stephon Tuitt: 78% (of total defensive snaps)
    Cam Heyward: 72%
    Steve McClendon: 31%
    Cam Thomas: 28%
    Daneil McCullers: 14%

This is a far cry from previous games when Heyward and Tuitt were each seeing close to, if not entirely 100% of all defensive snaps, plus ST snaps. Ideally I'd see McClendon in the 40% range and Cam Thomas down around 20%, but hey, baby steps.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    This has been a concern of mine. The Depot has written a few articles on this as well. Honestly, I think Tomlin gets caught up in the game and loses focus on the big picture.

Those guys can't continue to log every snap every game. The season is just too long.

Cajun

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Looking better.

Take that Cam Thomas 28% and turn it into 8%. Give 10% to McLendon and 10% to McCullers. Hell, then take the last 8% and give it to Boykin.

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm surprised McCullers is so low? I forgot he is even on the team to be honest. Haven't seen him the last couple weeks.

5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So Tomlin is who makes these decisions? Not the D coordinator or the DL coach? No wonder he can't manage the clock, he's keeping track of snap counts

6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, he is a back up and they pull the NT off the field for another corner most of the time, don't they?

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes, I don't understand why they don't use him more on the three man rushes though. He's shown he can walk his guy back when he wants to. Would be nice to see him blow someone up into the QB!