1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

defensive line prospects

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steel1031, Mar 12, 2014.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think we need to pick up two players for the dline. I have some players I like for us but not many in early rounds. does anyone have any mid to late round guys who might fit?

round 1 I think Hageman and Donald are the only two I would take here

I like ego ferguson, Jeffery pagan, ed Stinson, caraun reid, and beau allen. these guys can be had later I think

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You've got to consider scheme fit. Donald is a great player, but he's not going to hold his ground clogging up 2 gaps against a double team. He's a pure shoot-the-gap kind of guy. That's great in the right scheme, but it doesn't fit what we do. Hageman is a high potential guy, but I think there's a risk that he never reaches his potential. I like the 2012 version of Stephon Tuitt at a hair under 300 lbs. I'm not so sure about the 2013, 320+ lb. version. Nix I am luke warm on. I see people comparing him to Wilfork, but I see more BJ Raji than big Vince. I haven't watched the later round guys enough to comment on fairly.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Donald is interesting. I don't care if he can clog two gaps or not if he's in their backfield he's disrupting the play, simple as that. he has to be accounted for. I like brent urban from Virginia too. probably rd.5 for him. height and length are lacking in a lot of the DT guys this year. I'm interested in rumph from Kentucky too as a possible nose tackle as an UDFA.:cool:

4. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    urban and rumph are interesting. I wouldn't count on donte making it to udfa though. if you want him take him in the 6th or 7th. I think someone will watch the tape and like what they see on him. the potential anyway

5. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    can we maybe just sign bj raji?

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    No. Probably more likely to sign a name like Alex Carrington...

7. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    If the Steelers believe he can be a great player, then change the defense. But I suspect that he'll be off the board by the time we pick.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You know Mac, you had mentioned Donald
    about a month ago, now I am not sure he fits with what we do, but he is going to make somebody a great ball player. The Steelers have seen him up close and personal, They may suprise us all and pull the trigger.Although I see the Bears taking him in front of us. Bill Fralic
    says he is unblockable and he has a big motor. He will excel somewhere as most Pitt players do.

9. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Trouble with the Steelers drafting D-Line is it takes Mitchell about 3 years to get them ready to play to his satisfaction.

10. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I had a coach once tell me that a scheme can make you a lot better than you are. if you can play the game of football it don't matter what scheme you play in. beat the man in front of you and you will be great

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Which is about when we'll need them to step in and be a starter, so draft one now. I don't want to see the DL, which was a position of strength, go the route of the OL in the mid-late 2000's when we failed to have the foresight to replace our aging stars.

Draft for the future; sign value free agents for immediate need.

12. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    DL is a position of strength? I don't think so.

13. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Was does not mean that it still is.

14. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Things change quick round these here parts.

Hope they've a FA D-Lineman lined up.

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Spooky...Carrington is visiting the Steelers tonight.

16. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    :applaud:

17. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Thank you Elvis.

Lets look back. Hood was a high motor penetrating DT in college. Sound familiar? ( Aaron D. ) Yet Hood could not make the change very well to a 2-gap 5-tech in the 3-4 as a DE.

Scheme matters. Some RBs may struggle with a OZBS but excel in man-man blocking. Does that make the RB bad or good? He's still a good football player but a better player in the right scheme.

We are now thin on the DL. We will draft at least one DL. If we look to the NFL market I don't like any of the DE's left for us except Peppers & Allen ( who I believe are able to transcend scheme ) but are too expensive.

Looking to the FA Market we may be better served signing a NT ( Raji/Cody etc. ) and moving McLendon back to his more natural position 3-4 DE.

Cajun-

18. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    You may as well compare Le'Veon Bell to Barry Sanders. One guy was dominant in college, and the other was Ziggy Hood.

19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Oh, I think Donald is a way better prospect than Hood was. However, I also think his style is even more different from what we ask our D linemen to do than Ziggy's was. Donald is a pure 1 gap penetrator. If I were running a 1 gap 43 front, I wouldn't think twice about making him a top 10 pick. I think he's that capable in that kind of role. However, we don't run that kind of scheme, and our personnel are not geared for it. Would you blow up the entire defensive scheme for Donald? Is he such a franchise changing player that you change schemes overnight? The answer is no.

What I do think Donald potentially does for us is provide a trade partner. I firmly believe that Dallas will take him at #16 if he's there. If he is there at #15, someone else may be chomping at the bit to get ahead of them.

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I've been watching a lot of Louis Nix tonight, and I'm going from luke warm to warm. I do think he has the goods to be a very solid nose in our scheme. The question is whether he'll have value at pick #15 compared to some of the other really good players who are bound to be available at that spot.

21. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not a chance. Take him in the 2nd if he falls the way some NTs do, but at #15 we will have way too many options to take, or at least way too many guys on our list to trade back for and take later in the 1st. I hope Nix isn't even on that list. Not unless he never comes off the field.

22. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Why not blow it up? We don't have the personnel to run our scheme either.

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no need to blow it up. Donald would be a good fit here and you guys need to get out of the casey Hampton is the only way to play a 3-4 mode. Donald needs double teamed and a center being left alone on him is a death wish. he's strong as an ox and has a low center of gravity, not to mention quick off the snap. all these things pose problems with trying to block him. he also has good pass rush moves that serve him well in the run game too. his penetration is hard to deal with. many of you forget what casey started out like in our defense. you only remember the fat casey as a space eater because that's what he became. in his early years he used leverage and speed off the snap to push the pocket in and get by the blockers to create havoc allowing our DE's to control the other guards and tackles for the OLB'ers. big and fat is not the only way to be successful from the interior. making a team double team him inside eats up blockers and it's our ILB job to then plug the holes in the run game. Donald very well could be a good fit in our scheme, and he would certainly be a good interior guy in our sub package next to heyward. they would be an awesome duo inside rushing the passer in that scheme.:cool:

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I remember young Casey Hampton was actually able to run sideline to sideline really well. If a slow run play to one side was occurring he could actually run the guy down.

25. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah, I remember him killing Eddie George along the sideline.