1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defensive Line: A position of concern

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, Oct 10, 2015.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Let me say that I believe the Steelers have 2 of the top notch DE's in Heyward and Tuitt. After that, lets look at their back ups: Cam Thomas. And LT Walton. Yikes!

The DT spot: McClendon and McCullers. McCullers not seeing the field for a few games due to knee injury and may be limited.

Their back up: Cam Thomas. Enough said.

Thin is thin. Hopefully before the trading deadline they look for some help.
    If either of the starting DE's goes down for any length of time, this Defense will suffer.

Geathers on injured reserve. Caushaud, practice squad.

The trenches are where it starts. I would hate to see a major injury stop the progress that I see this Defense making.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9239073-74/diego-san-game#axzz3oAjvT4q8

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have not been a Mclendon fan since day one, with that said he has improved. However he is the one reason our run defense is bad, he rarely gets push and when he does it is way past the ball carrier. I know we have been spoiled with Casey there but we need a guy who gets push straight back not to the side. Drive that center right back and disrupt the play. In a 3-4 scheme the NT is the key and that is where we have to improve cause our ends are pretty freakin good.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I can't see the Steelers making another trade given that the two they've made so far, giving up draft picks, have not worked out so well. I do agree that the Steelers could use some depth on the line and a bona fide NT if they plan to continue with the 3-4. Gone are the days they had Smith, Hampton and Keisel
    Starting and Hood, Hoke and Heyward backing them up. I've got hope for McCullers though and McClendon is no slouch. Thomas doesn't belong in the NFL!

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lot of people say this but when you look at the big runs, McClendon isnt even on the field. He gets a lot of unjust criticism.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    We really get gashed when we are in nickel with only Heyward and Tuitt on the DL.

I do like the look of our base formation especially with McCullers in the middle.

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No need to get DL until we upgrade the back end. We should not trade for or draft another front 7 guy until we get better DB'S period. Did you see what a good game plan with quick passing did to Watt the other night ? Proof that even the best DL on the planet can be took out of the game with scheme.

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I have heard a lot of people say this and my response is this, if he were good he would be on the field. I mean if he was the run stopper that a 3-4 NT is suppose to be he would be there. I have seen plenty of big runs with him on the the field for the last few years. I am not putting the full blame on him but the fact he don't have a stud there, him or someone else still remains the problem. Bottom like he is not our answer, jmo.

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Offenses are averaging like 2.3 yards a carry. He isn't the problem. That number might be a little higher after the Ravens game but I think most of their big run came with him off the field.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    At the risk of sounding like an adamant McLendon supporter, that response doesn't really work. At least, if it's true for McLendon, than it's true for Hampton. And I know we aren't suggesting that Hampton wasn't good. The trend of the nose getting less snaps is one that happened well before Casey left. 2008 he played something like 41% of the total defensive snaps. Same in 2010.

It really boils down to defenses adapting to multiple receiver sets and having to stay in sub-packages more and more. Linebacker and safety play/talent in the past couple years dropped dramatically (though it's solid at times), and this is a big factor in why we've seen a lot of big runs against sub-package formations.

10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree that we're in more of a WR dominated era and we're probably not gonna be seeing NT's like Casey Hampton much anymore. At least until a new RB era works its way back around. Also, it's ok to be an adamant McLendon supporter. We all know you love him! LOL! Just the way I loved Casey Hampton and unapologetically loved Sepulveda as well. Just let your love flow as the Bellamy Bros once said!

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Nah, I don't love him. He's OK, but he gets a lot of unwarranted hate. I barely like him compared to my feelings for Casey. ;+)

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I hear what your saying and somewhat agree, however the teams that have solid run defenses look where it starts. I am not trying to crap on McLendon I am just saying where it starts. I know when we have Heyward there it is bad as well and I love Heyward, but he is a end not a NT/DT. I don't have numbers just opinions and what I see. What I see is Hampton making a push and blowing the play up on both run and pass, yeah at the end of his career he was not on the field as much but that does happen with age to such a big guy, you know what I mean? Until we find that presence again or change our style of D which looks like we are doing, we are gonna have this problem, jmo.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That's fine and I don't know the plays he is on or off the field all I know in a 3-4 our NT should be on the field 1st and 2nd down and if it is a pass push that center back into the QB. I saw Casey do that so many times tell me you haven't? I know the NFL is turning more into a pass league and we are running more of a "hybrid" defense but it is not working vs the run. At least the way I see it, and don't anyone get me wrong our defense is getting a lot better. I by no means am trying to slam out Defense just healthy talk talk here. :)

14. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    We are in our nickel more then anything. It's hard to argue taking Tuitt or Heyward off the field for him but it might be an idea to run that version of the nickel on second down.

15. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hm. I actually thought you were a really big fan of his. I can say for myself when he first started getting playing time I was excited about him though. People can hate on him if they want to but I'll guarantee you our defense is a MILE better with him on the field as opposed to Thomas or McCullers and I am actually pulling for McCullers to turn in to something.

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    OT, S, NT in the draft. Let's do this!

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I dont understand how its McClendons fault that the coaches are putting Nickle D out there. Whats he supposed to do about it then?

18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Nah, we're taking a kicker in the first round.

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Then why is Cam Thomas ever seeing the field? I can't believe the coaches can't see how horrible he is. The point of the thread was there is no depth at ALL after Heyward and Tuitt. None. Dangerous territory.

McClendon is average. McCullers is raw but hopefully we see more of Big Dan.

Keisel stated he would come back. Why not? He has been working out. And can be called on. Cam Thomas or Keisel? Common...

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Assuming the picks turned out good, that would leave us 3 deep at NT - a position which is on the filed less than half the time.

In terms of the general discussion here, I think if we had a better back up than Cam Thomas, then the depth issue instantly looks better. Great front 3, solid versatile back up, young guys developing on the fringe of the roster. The problem is, with Cam Thomas here, the drop off from the front 3 is far too big. Replace Cam Thomas next off-season in free agency, and we won't need to address DL at all, other than some late round chancers (provided we haven't traded them all away for kickers).

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Kiesel is done, he's too old and can't stay healthy he barely played last season.

22. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I too think he would be better than Cam Thomas - that guy is sooooo bad, I do not know what the coaches see in him.

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    my concern is if our starters play like they did against SD's backup o-linemen the last time. they are beat up on they're O-line again. :cool:

24. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We are still about 5 players away from being a dominant defense again. Mean Joe said that he would really like to see McCuller play grown man football. He has all the tools...but for some reason McCuller doesn't have the mindset to dominant

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't have any worries about Big Mac or McCullers. I really wanted Henry Anderson out of Stanford as some DE depth and he was available in the 3rd but we took Coates to compensate for the Bryant situation. He is starting for Indy, but that is all hindsight etc. I like how Walton has gotten some snaps though and he should improve. Heyward and Tuitt both said they like being in there all the time and trained this offseason for that. I'm always for trying to improve the lineman on either side, but unfortunately I think the team will have to wait until next offseason.