1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defensive Game Plan

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RPO IZSB, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Its stupid.

2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    We are assuming the play called was a Tampa 2.... What if it was a cover 2 with Timmons covering Edelman just like in the 1st game where Edelman cut underneath and beat Timmons .... What if Timmons dropped too deep in hopes of not getting beat deep down the middle keeping the play in front of him and Alex K assumed it was Tampa2 because from here it looked like it.....

Bottom line what we Really Know is we lost because our offense couldn't match their points and our Defense couldn't slow them down at all..... As soon as we saw zone everyone one of us knew what was going to happen ..... Seen this movie too many times already ......

Hopefully next year will be different!!!!

Cajun

3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    When you rush 3 and you have deebo and timmons in "no mans land" out in coverage... Here lies the problem. Butler, rushed the correct number but just the wrong personnel and with the wrong secondary personnel

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I was actually thinking that it may have just been a "too deep" Cover 2 drop, and if so, bad one on Timmons - but mentally more than just physically.

My problem wasn't that we played zone, it's how we played zone. We played zone like we've never seen combination routes designed to beat particular zone coverages before. We played it like we've never seen a QB look off a defender to get someone open. We played it like we didn't see where the receivers actually were until the ball was airborne. All you have to do is watch Golden on Hogan's first TD to see an example of all 3 of these things. It was a stunning display of ineptitude by everyone in coverage other than Cockrell who I think did fairly well (which is not surprising since he's probably our smartest back end defender). To me it looked like a complete failure to prepare by players and coaches. It was like we were a man to man team playing zone for the first time.

That said, as bad as the coverage was, I think it was problem #3. I think problem #1 was our offense (which seems to not be getting nearly as much discussion), and problem #2 was our complete lack of pressure, which exacerbated the coverage lapses.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dont remember who said it, maybe Ryan Clark, but whoever said it, said the stage was too big for them. They got away from the very thing that they were doing during the win streak, the thing Cockrell spoke of which was do your job. People started panicking, trying to do too much and got away from that very simple mantra, do your job.

It was an epic meltdown, we have a young defense, they'll learn and grow from that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Zones come in so many flavores.... So to speak... And what we saw, a zone of playing off ten yards keeping the play in front and reacting trying to make a tackle was wrong..... Playing a zone passing off crossing patterns while still looking in front of you gets Hogan a TD( thanks golden for missing that one ) or dropping Deebo to cover the flats because everyone else is Too deep. N.E. Played zone on brown,,, butler underneath and a safety overtop. With Bell out, Brown covered, Coates and Cobi dropping balls we needed a dynamic defense to show up and they were just not ready for that. I watch them line up.... Tom surveyed and checked out of the play called and our guys stepped back and threw their hands up in the air... Mass Confusion on what to do and who was going to be doing what!!! That's what angers me. Poor coaching or maybe Too much coaching for young inexperienced minds. It was said we couldn't play press because we didn't have the players..... ????... I think " keep it simple" would have given us a better chance, .........

Cajun

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Truth is, sending 3 against Brady is like giving him candy, it just gives him plenty of time to find an open receiver, just be glad gronk wasn't playing or 50 points against us wouldn't be an unrealistic possibility.........