1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defensive Game Plan

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RPO IZSB, Feb 1, 2017.

1. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
  2. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes but there are counter arguments as well because they did have some drops by receivers not due to our defense.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Good read. Painful, but good.

4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm a fan of the depot but this was one of their worse articles.... Ever!

Everyone know Butler did a lousy job .... And here we have an article defending him while showing, stating and justifying his poor job....... What????

Case in point... His called defense works in the redzone problem is it didn't work on a full field and there he called it too much..... Well no duh and tell me again how many points did they score?

2nd case..... They ran the Tampa 2 with Timmons as mike but Edelman beat it..... This is so sad...... Tampa 2 mike needs to be fast because he's acting like a safety in the middle of the field..... Who's out fastest LB.... Who also had 4 games in a row with an int... Last clue!!! He played the Mike in the probowl...

Proper use of your personnel is key to each play called.

Rushing 3 vs a non mobile QB is stupid...... Get after him!!!! He's an easier target. Next problem with this----- rushing 3 puts Deebo into coverage and he just isn't fast enough anymore...... When he's in he should attack the QB and defend the run ONLY!!!!

I got more but I'm done!!!!!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Bull ****. Go ahead you people stick up for your losers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Not sure why anyone is saying that it's a bad article, or sticking up for Butler. It's just laying out reality. The 3 man rush and zone was effective when the short field allowed our defenders to play tighter, but did not work outside of the red zone. The example with the Tampa 2 on 3rd and 10 shows that the Mike (Timmons) dropped deep, per the Tampa 2 design. I don't think it's a slam dunk to assume that having Shazier making that drop would have somehow changed the call from Tampa 2 to Cover 2. I guess it is a bit strange to show a Tampa 2 with a 4 man rush as an example when discussing the 3 man rush outside of the red zone though.

7. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Not sure??? I thought I was quite clear while trying to not write a book. It's ok, you're welcomed to your opinion, no problems.

Alex Kozora in my opinion was trying to shine a little bright light on a gloomy game. I think he "reached" a bit.

N.E. Avg 2.4 redzone scores (TD) @ A frequency rate of 67%( might be 63%, I forgot ) so tell me how they did in the AFC Champ game..... Did we slow that down or adversely affect it or did they maintain??
    Were we "successful"? That level of effectiveness gets you a quicker end to your season.

Not sure where you're going with changing to a cover 2.... My point was again clear... Tampa 2 requires a mike (MLB) who is athletic enough to drop deep middle to cover like a safety creating a virtual cover 3 shell..... My point as I stated was Shazier is the much better option over Timmons.

But this is just my opinion and in reality who am I??

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    When you have your best pass rushers, Harrison and Dupree in pass coverage on most passing plays, that can't be good. You have created a match problems a couple of ways.

1. You got 3 guys rushing and at least 5 blockers against the best QB in the world who has all day to find the most open recievers.

2. You have your 38 year old outside linebacker who has lost his speed, the other outside linebacker Dupree whose not noted for his pass coverage skills, also pass coverage, you have Gay out there who also is old and slow, against their shifty and quick receivers and their patient QB, this shortly becomes a no contest match up in the Pats favor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Non of it makes sense----------- The pats are a notorius dink and dunk team and not a bombs away type team so why would you play into there strengths? This was not the randy moss pats where you might want to keep everybody in front of you and your scared to give up the 80 yd play. The whole thing wqas a disgrace if you ask me. Made zero friggin sense........ zero

10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    So basically it only works in the redzone. More reason why you need to just play press man, single high, and bring the heat. If someone gets burned, make the tackle, and stop them in the redzone. Or just keep playing your keep everyone in front and give up no big plays and still give up big plays defense.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Between the 20's we needed the pass rush to get there, it didn't.

We won't beat the Patriots in the playoffs with an aging James Harrison.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I mean... if anything, the pass rush has to improve in order for the zone to work.

Without an effective pass rush... no matter the scheme, quarterbacks of any kind can pick you apart. It is just that, with Brady, this problem is amplified.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Here is a question for those defending the zone defense plan. Given the fact that it was obvious by the second quarter that the refs were going to let them play and not flag any of the jostling, hand fighting, clutching and grabbing that was going on from the Patriots defense wouldn't it have been a good idea to adjust the zone scheme a bit to take advantage of this?

Since Brady and his receivers like timing routes wouldn't it have been possible to be physical with them and still maintain the zone look? Jam them at the line, throw off their toutes, if they try to cut I side, step in front of them on the way to your zone? If they went four wide and you insist on soft coverage on the outside and dropping your edge rushers into coverage why not hit them at the snap of the ball and disrupt the timing? Why not try to make Brady hold the ball a bit longer and allow the rush to get some pressure instead of easy completions and tackling the catch.

To further this if you had decided on a bend don't break philosophy or the death of a thousand cuts why not take steps to dictate where he will throw. Limit the side of the field he has available. If you are insistent on zone then tighten it up and make the high percentage play, the check down or the dump off to Lewis instead of a wide open Edelman in the soft spot of your cover 2. Bennett wasnt much of a threar to stretch the field and get past his man, get physical with him. Get up tight on the slot receiver and make him work for that 5 yards beyond the LOS and get in his head that he has to work for every inch.

Do we have the talent and roster to play that way?

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I've said it over and over again, please, PLEASE do not put Timmons into space. He is a liability in this coverage. And yet Butler just keeps doing it. Rushing 3 is a joke. And our two best pass rushers out in coverage? I'm done talking about this nonsense. They failed with the game plan. Failed. And don't give me they played man to man crap. Zone takes a man then lets him go hoping their is coverage after he leaves the zone. Well... They need to press and rush 4 against the cheats. Best do this next season...

15. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree that Butler was slow to make adjustments. That was one of the biggest problems as the game wore on.

Gah - imagine if, rather than going 3 and out on the first drive of the second half, we score a TD. Imagine if Brady's fumble is called correctly. Imagine getting some more DBs on the field and a few creative safety blitzes. Then it's a different game.

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with what you've said here. However, in your original post you talked about Edelman beating the Tampa 2 because of Timmons' lack of athleticism. He beat the Tampa 2 by stopping underneath the dropping Mike backer. That would happen with any Mike backer playing Tampa 2 properly, because the Mike is protecting the deep middle between the safeties, not the short middle where Edelman squatted. It wasn't Timmons that he beat, it the defensive call of Tampa 2 vs. straight Cover 2 (in which the Mike would not be dropping between the safeties). I agree that Shazier would be a better option for Tampa 2 (and any other coverage), but had he been in there instead of Timmons, his athleticism may have resulted in him being even deeper than Timmons was, and even further from Edelman when he squatted.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it wasn't so much that we played a lot of zone but we didn't mix it up enough. as thorn mentioned about the refs letting them play, well that works in NE's favor too. they are the kings of the pick play and that can beat a man defense quickly if the refs let it happen which they do. we should have mixed coverage late and often. that is the only way to confuse them somewhat. :cool:

18. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Against KC there were a few great defensive plays where they started re-adjusting at the last minute, and it looked like confusion, but it actually set up a blitz. Specifically I think of Harrison's sack where he moved out into coverage, then blitzed unopposed.

I was very surprised we didn't see more of that tried against NE.

19. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    This kind of thinking is old. Guess which QB was second only to Ryan in yards per attempt this year? 1 hint, it wasn't Ben.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Some other stats for those interested....

Air yards being the yards from the LOS to the point of reception.

Bradys AY per attempt is 4.17 and Ben's is 4.12. Matt Ryan's was 4.81. The highest out of the regular starters in the league was Kirk Cousins at 4.85 yards per attempt.

45.1% of Bens total yards was YAC, 49.3% of Bradys total yards was YAC. 48.1% of Matt Ryans total yards was YAC.

Completed passes of over 25 yards - Ryan - 42, Brady - 35 and Ben - 32. Highest again was Cousins at 44. Ben tied with Luck in leading the league in '14 with 42.

Yards per attempt - Ryan at 9.26, Brady at 8.23, Ben at 7.5. League average at 7.16

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The article should have just told the painful truth ...Butler knew we couldn't play man because we don't have enough skill to do so....Butler knew he couldn't rush more than 3 because of the same coverage problems...I agree with Ike and Steven A we have a horrid Defensive Backfield plain and simple ....If we dropped all 11 into coverage Brady would still pick it apart...The only way to slow him is man up and send heat,we only have 1 guy who might be able to cover his guy 1 on 1 the rest would get torched play after play...

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It was pitch and catch and if that really doesn't bother you you must live on another planet.
    With yet a Lacrosse player. No thanks we can do better.

23. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    The obsession some of you have with the "lacrosse player" thing is just bizarre.

The guy had 98 receptions and over 1100 yards all year. It's not like they picked him up from the lacrosse park on the way to the stadium.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I know they didn't pick him up on the way but the sad thing is that they could have. LOL!

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Just think the week before he is rubbing golf balls on his thighs trying to combat cramping.