1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by markthadon11, Dec 7, 2014.

1. markthadon11

markthadon11 Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Got to one of the worst they have ever put on the field!

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree, but it came alive when needed. Definitely some things to fix all around, but didn't break when it mattered most

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Bell actually said the d "played lights out today". I think Tomlin must have pulled him for a concussion at the end. LOL. Just too many dang big plays. Ike. Just... Ike. Also Mitchell is really putting the IKE in mIKE. Seriously dude.

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    They got together when needed. When the one men fell the other picked up. Standard is the standard.. And I am not even joking lol

6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, the defense needs work. Everyone expected going into the season that the defense wasn't going to be very good. A slow decline in the defense should had been expected after losing the talented and experienced players they loss over the past several years. I don't believe there is a team in the league that could had replaced the caliber of players this defense loss over the past several years. They had probowlers or close to probowl caliber players at every level of this defense.

This defense probably needs 3 more players. One at CB, S, and OLB. They also need the young guys to remain healthy so they can gain more experience. Simply put they are rebuilding. The task has been made more difficult due to the success this organization had building 3-4 defenses. As a result of that success, I believe about half the teams in the league run the 3-4 or a variation of the 3-4.

Out best chance to make the postseason will hinge on Ben/Bell and the offense.

7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Well said Burghsteel. It's not like we got totally torched today. If we give up only 21 points every game here on out, we will win a lot of games. Basically we held everyone other than Green in check. We still need to shore up our secondary, but I really like some of the younger guys we've got out there. We could have another top 10 unit in another year or two. Just give them time.

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, they did have some key stops. Also, had the turnover to seal the deal and had the INT taken away. For the most part it was 3 explosive plays they gave up that caused the worrying today...

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The worry for though is that IF we make the playoffs we are gonna have to play better qbs than Dalton. That could be disastrous with the way this d gives up big plays.

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    We've already played lesser QB's than Dalton and make em look like big leaguers... Time for the O to floor it and make other teams catch us. This D is only good for a qtr and a half maybe two quarters but not good enough to hang a hat on.

11. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    What Brees showed us last week should be the wake-up call for this offense - that's what the *good* QBs are gonna do to us until we have rebuilt the D. The O will have to carry us the rest of the way, and hope for some occasional big plays on D.

12. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    As long a Ike Taylor doesn't see the field next week we have a chance.

I know they wouldn't do it but I would replace Mitchell and Polomalu with Allen and Sharmarko Thomas.

Taylor, Allen, Polomalu and Mitchell are the worst secondary in the league.

13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yep, best thing the happen to the defense today was sitting Ike. He just does not seem healthy and may of came back from the injury too soon.

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I actually thought to myself when I saw him get taken out that our d had instantly improved.

15. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I thought the safety play today was absolutely inexcusable. How two safeties within 5 yards of the receiver (Green) on a ball that was a moon shot throw didn't at least knock it away is beyond me. It looked like Green was fielding a punt. Neither defender even attempted to make a play on the ball. In Troy's younger days, he would have come away with a pick. Gay has officially become our "best" player in the secondary.

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ike and Troy should not be starting. Troy looked lost, and Ike Taylor is DONE. Blake and McCain bring into the field a presence. That's something this secondary is lacking. Will Allen needs to replace Troy. As said this team needs an over the top Offensive effort to win these games. But if the coaching staff finally has some stones, Ike and Troy will sit. Especially Ike. I can't watch him whine like a baby after he gets whipped. He is a mental midget.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ike is rusty, there is no way he should be taking number one CB snaps, he should be worked back in gradually until the rust comes off. Will he be the second coming of Rod Woodson? heck no but throwing a guy out on AJ Green in his second week back from a horrible arm injury is just insane. Just like Kiesel and Harrison were they should have taken it slow and let Ike work up to game speed.

18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Whoa! Tell us how you really feel.

19. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    While you are exactly right about the rust, let's admit, Taylor sucked before he hurt his arm. He's been sucking the life out of this secondary for at least two years now and this "loyalty based system" we have as a defense keeps these underperforming players on the field.

Start Blake, McCain, Gay with Thomas and Allen at safeties.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd still like to see webb get some field time. I'm not dissatisfied with blake and McCain so far. I think they are getting better with the more they play. people seem to forget they are fairly new to the field.:cool:

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I pull for McCain too. He just seems like he plays with heart or something.

22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Blake is better than Ike I hope Ike is hurt again it's the only way they'll keep that pylon off the field.

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't hope he's hurt but I do hope he's on the bench.

24. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If he's on the bench , he'll be on the field. The more I watch Blake the better he's getting, he kept up with Green with ease. Tho I said the same thing about Cortez Allen, I thought he was going to be a very good one.

25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Problem with Blake is his size. He has to have perfect technique and can still get beat due to his height.

I'm thinking our back up corners look better if they are not listed as starters. Seems like teams prepare for IKE and scheme for him, but when they get in there it screws up everything they had hoped to take advantage of. Maybe they list IKE as the starter and just put those guys out there as a gotcha attack!