1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense or Offense heavy Draft?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steelresolve, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I really think we have more holes on our Defense. If we want a run oriented ball control offense and an elite defense, I feel like we are much closer to having a ball control offense already. The presumption is the offense will be much better simply through the coaching change.

The offense needs to upgrade the:
    Center
    RT
    QB
    and add a Slot WR

* I doubt we can do all of that in this free agency and draft. We probably will stick with Dan Moore at OT and have comparable talent at QB and Slot Wr to what we already have.

The Defense needs to upgrade the:
    DT
    ILB
    Outside CB
    Slot CB
    SS

* I don’t think it is wise to add much more money to the defensive side of the ball as we already have spent heavy on that side of the ball. In addition we already have some bad contracts with an overpriced and underperforming Ogunjobi, Heyward (sad but true), Holcomb (because he is coming back from significant injury) and Patrick Peterson. The problem is we aren’t going to fill all those needs in one draft but we have to get younger on this side of the ball.

This FA period is loaded with safeties. I would like us to go get one of the younger promising Safeties in FA and probably try to at least draft 3 of the remaining needs on Defense. With that being said I don’t see how you draft Center in the first round and give up your chance at a top CB in the draft. I hope we go CB rd one and ILB, C in rd 2.

Who we pick up in FA will say alot about what we target in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Just my opinion....

Offense: Draft a Center.
    Draft a rookie QB.
    Bring in a FA WR.
    Draft a rookie RB.

Defense: Draft a CB.
    Draft a DE.
    Draft a Safety.
    Not enough info on the current ILB situation to have a complete opinion. Best case Holcomb and Alexander come back from injury on time with no ill effects. If this is not the case, I lean more toward FA over draft.
    Draft another ILB.

I'm just not a huge fan of this year's OTs.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    How about a trench-heavy draft? Which I guess would be just a “heavy” draft. Getting big guys and a corner would be good for days 1-2. Maybe an ILB if we can get a good value pick there. I think the 4th round may be a point to grab a QB with development potential, I’m just not sure who, or if anyone available there would fit the bill. I kind of like Jordan Travis, but he needs more development before he can play in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    A few weeks ago I was pretty much sold on the idea of going ol-dl with first 4 picks. Now I’m not so sure. Obviously we are in dire need of a center. We could also use an upgrade at tackle. I tend to believe they will go hard after a center in free agency. I just don’t see them gambling twice in the draft. Once the center they covet is available and a second time that he’s ready to go from day one. These days I’m leaning more towards a defensive heavy draft. If they went CB,ILB,and DT with the first 3 picks I would be happy.

• Winner Winner x 1